The non-Brompton thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought it was as well
Being Mister Suspicious, I always wonder why something is that much of a bargain... One can't exactly ask the vendor because if they get a sniff of the fact that the item is under-priced they might just raise the price!

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Being Mister Suspicious, I always wonder why something is that much of a bargain... One can't exactly ask the vendor because if they get a sniff of the fact that the item is under-priced they might just raise the price!
It might be just a case of they are no longer using the item and want it out of the way.

ColinJ

It might be just a case of they are no longer using the item and want it out of the way.
They shouldn't have long to wait at that price!

My need for a folding bike has temporarily decreased since a Scottish cousin offered to lend me a road bike my size when I go up in September.

Still, my niece would like one for the same holiday so she can do some Highland rides with me. It would also be handy for her in Devon because she is based in 2 locations and could easily take a folding bike between them (and elsewhere) in her car boot.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So I bit the bullet and got a Tern Verge D9.
I'm moving soon, so needed a folder for the train/cycle commute.
I had a Brompton before but didn't like it. It sucked the life out of me. So didn't want to go down that route again.
Even though I've only given it a quick spin around the block, it feels more like a full size bike then a small folder. Feels quite nippy. I think I'm going to spin out on the high gears though. Also, the handlebars feel very wide compared to my road bike. Mudguards to be added also. All things to sort at a future date.
View attachment 734885

View attachment 734886

View attachment 734887

So, baptism of fire this morning with the Tern. New commute of the Bike/Train/Bike sort.
And must say it performed admirably well considering the utterly crap heavy rain. It feels so much better ride then a Brompton, feeling more like a big boys bike. The handling is much better, get's up to and holds speed much better. Having no problem cruising along at 19's and 20's even in the rain. I bought mudguards for it which aren't in the previous pics. Expensive but with todays ride, worth every penny.
I will miss my big bike for the commute no doubt and come the better months will cycle the whole way to work and back every now and then, a round trip of 54 miles. But, for the job, the Tern did well. Early days but looking good,

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
How did you get on with the train? A lot of Brompton diddy wheel riders gasp in horror at the thought of a 20 inchers on the train, but I've have nary a problem with stairs, escalators, platform or even stowing it on the train.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No problems at all. Lucky in that South Eastern train staff are pretty laid back. When I did the Maidstone to Bromley commute I swapped over to the big boys bike and very rarely got called out on it. Only an aged old sourpuss on Bromley said something. I just said I had a mechanical and she just wandered off.
The Tern does actually fold up pretty small too so when stored in the bike vestibule took up little space. Both mine and the Brompton bike fitting in the space for one big bike.

ColinJ

I was watching an ID9 on eBay yesterday. The highest bid when I went to bed was only £82 but there were quite a few others watching the auction. I decided that would make a late cheeky bid of £126 but by then a higher winning bid had been made... £144 - bargain!

I am going to keep looking out for a bargain for my niece... Sub-£130 for an ID9 or sub-£100 for an ID8.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
So, baptism of fire this morning with the Tern. New commute of the Bike/Train/Bike sort.
And must say it performed admirably well considering the utterly crap heavy rain. It feels so much better ride then a Brompton, feeling more like a big boys bike. The handling is much better, get's up to and holds speed much better. Having no problem cruising along at 19's and 20's even in the rain. I bought mudguards for it which aren't in the previous pics. Expensive but with todays ride, worth every penny.
I will miss my big bike for the commute no doubt and come the better months will cycle the whole way to work and back every now and then, a round trip of 54 miles. But, for the job, the Tern did well. Early days but looking good,

Nice. With 451 wheels, probably a bit less twitchy than a 406 like Chutney is, better clearance for the rear derailleur as well, but not the same range of tyres. Chutney doesn't get ridden much- first ride this year was last week- but when I do, it always reminds me why I love it, and it can get a shift on, no problem there. Glad to hear you've had no problem with the trains.

Top Bottom