The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Is that the worst-ever photo on the internet?

🤣Bit harsh, but there wasn't much "styling" involved

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't tried it on yet, but I know it'll fit due to it being ordered in my usual Cordings required sizes. 🧐 I'll have to unpick the jacket and waistcoat pockets before wearing the suit, which looks like a dodgy procedure. I've looked at the stitching and it's very tight, unlike the Cordings linen suits I bought, which are more casual, hence their slightly looser jacket and waistcoat pockets stitching I easily picked open.

View attachment 747258

View attachment 747259

View attachment 747260

View attachment 747261

View attachment 747263

View attachment 747268

View attachment 747264

View attachment 747265

View attachment 747266

View attachment 747267

I've just spent 30 minutes unpicking the very tight stitching on the jacket pockets. I thought about taking it, and the waistcoat to a seamstress place I know of, as men's tailors are almost none existent these days. Instead I thought I'd take my time using a safety pin to pick out the very tight stitching, rather than trying to cut the thread with the pair of fine tailors scissors I have, which aren't quite fine enough to pick out then cut such a tight stitching. When I picked out the thread I used those scissors to snip it, then it became easy to fully open the pockets.

hc=LOIMqnIKI_gQ7kNvgFopY78&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=Ud-f1qDI_OwQ7kNvgGdzeZr&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=BYV4zXpsPXEQ7kNvgHYKM95&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=y-RcAytlksoQ7kNvgEBaKiV&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=sdKDuZPDrbcQ7kNvgE6sHRd&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought about taking it, and the waistcoat to a seamstress place I know of, as men's tailors are almost none existent these days.
I tried the waistcoat and thought it was a size 42, not 40 as I looked at it then tried it on. It has a 40 label on, but it measures approximately an inch wider then my other eight Cordings waistcoats, as I lay it flat and measure it from the bottom of one arm hole to arm to the other. I could return it for a 38 size but that'd be an inch less than the others, meaning it'd be too tight. Maybe it's meant to be a looser fitting as it is more 'countryfide' (arm raising to shoot birds and stuff) than the other two tweed Cordings suits I have. Also, I didn't have to unpick the pockets of the waistcoat as they weren't stitched up. That's the first Cordings waistcoat out of the eight I've bought that hasn't had the pockets stitched up. My thoughts on noticing this were that someone had cut the stitching, then returned the waistcoat finding it didn't fit, or even worse worn it for a while, then returned it, but surely if that was the case Cordings would've refused a refund. Or if they did accept it back they would have re-stitched the pockets. 🤔 I suppose I could email Cordings and ask if that particular waistcoat comes unstitched, as it's the first one I've bought that was, and it is slightly bugging me as I've only unstitched the left sided pocket of one of my eight Cordings waistcoats for pocket watch purposes, leaving the other thirty two unstitched. 🤔

But why bother, as I received a 20 percent off offer email on my next Cordings buy, plus I have the 10 percent one that came with the suit, so at 30 percent off whatever I buy from them, which will definitely be next year, not this, so why rock the boat I say! 🧐

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Veteran
I've just spent 30 minutes unpicking the very tight stitching on the jacket pockets. I thought about taking it, and the waistcoat to a seamstress place I know of, as men's tailors are almost none existent these days. Instead I thought I'd take my time using a safety pin to pick out the very tight stitching, rather than trying to cut the thread with the pair of fine tailors scissors I have, which aren't quite fine enough to pick out then cut such a tight stitching. When I picked out the thread I used those scissors to snip it, then it became easy to fully open the pockets.

View attachment 747900

View attachment 747901

View attachment 747902

View attachment 747903

View attachment 747904

I use a seam ripper (sounds more brutal than it actually is) that came with a cheap sewing repair kit. It's designed specifically for doing this and other seam removal type tasks. I used to use it to undo trouser hems on second hand suits before taking them to get them re-done to fit me.

Badger_Boom

Veteran
I tried the waistcoat and thought it was a size 42, not 40 as I looked at it then tried it on. It has a 40 label on, but it measures approximately an inch wider then my other eight Cordings waistcoats, as I lay it flat and measure it from the bottom of one arm hole to arm to the other. I could return it for a 38 size but that'd be an inch less than the others, meaning it'd be too tight. Maybe it's meant to be a looser fitting as it is more 'countryfide' (arm raising to shoot birds and stuff) than the other two tweed Cordings suits I have. Also, I didn't have to unpick the pockets of the waistcoat as they weren't stitched up. That's the first Cordings waistcoat out of the eight I've bought that hasn't had the pockets stitched up. My thoughts on noticing this were that someone had cut the stitching, then returned the waistcoat finding it didn't fit, or even worse worn it for a while, then returned it, but surely if that was the case Cordings would've refused a refund. Or if they did accept it back they would have re-stitched the pockets. 🤔 I suppose I could email Cordings and ask if that particular waistcoat comes unstitched, as it's the first one I've bought that was, and it is slightly bugging me as I've only unstitched the left sided pocket of one of my eight Cordings waistcoats for pocket watch purposes, leaving the other thirty two unstitched. 🤔

But why bother, as I received a 20 percent off offer email on my next Cordings buy, plus I have the 10 percent one that came with the suit, so at 30 percent off whatever I buy from them, which will definitely be next year, not this why rock the boat I say! 🧐
It's worth asking them about eh measurements, especially as you own a lot of their kit and it's obviously larger in comparison.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's worth asking them about eh measurements, especially as you own a lot of their kit and it's obviously larger in comparison.

A Cording's 'Men's waistcoat' is a different cut from a 'Men's classic waistcoat'. It's in the size info.
I took the waistcoat into a men's/ladies outfitters today to ask one of the staff I know what she thought about it. She said it's slightly big under the armpit, but not on the top of the back. She said if I were to send it back for the 38 chest size it'd be too small on the top of the back, so if she were me she'd keep the 40 inch chest one, which I now intend to do. I noticed that this waistcoat, unlike the other seven Cordings ones I have doesn't have a vertical button hole for a pocket watch's T-bar and chain. I wore one of my pocket watches today, feeding the T-bar through the middle horizontal button hole. This waistcoat is definitely different in cut and design to the other Cordings ones I have. 🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
While in that men's/ladies outfitters I noticed this 'jazzy' shirt. The shop assistant I went to see said it'd suit me, but then she's paid to say that of course. I like it, but don't think it's me.🤔

hc=Kfn3uW07ij8Q7kNvgFTfwQ-&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=3JOQUb0cIA0Q7kNvgFKvp1A&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=UINe2e7HrqgQ7kNvgH9pX1-&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=H4VdODRETIQQ7kNvgGwuEFG&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member

grldtnr

Über Member
Is this something Cordings might stock & supply? I'd imagine riding a bike in such threads may be a problem, but heck I'd sure go down the Rubba dub wearing one, the yellowy the better .......smokin'......

Attachments

• 1-2Bcab-2Ballmusic-2Bdot-2Bcom.jpg
    1-2Bcab-2Ballmusic-2Bdot-2Bcom.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom