The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can smell that photo from here.

Funnily enough I haven't sniffed that charity shop smell for quite a while now. Either they've developed a way of getting rid of the smell or I've gone charity shop smell nose blind.🤔

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
On shop smells, The thing that sticks out in my memory most are the Army and Navy stores. That leather smell was so pungent, it still resonates now 30 odd years after i last went in one. I didn't see a gimp mask so i think it as Army and Navy anyway...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On shop smells, The thing that sticks out in my memory most are the Army and Navy stores. That leather smell was so pungent, it still resonates now 30 odd years after i last went in one. I didn't see a gimp mask so i think it as Army and Navy anyway...

On about that leather smell, there was a cobblers (Frankland's, named after the 2 brothers who owned the shop) 2 minutes walk from my flat, but we're talking 1960's/70's, not now. I remember, as a child taking shoes in to be mended and the smell of glue and leather to me was amazing! :okay:

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
On about that leather smell, there was a cobblers (Frankland's, the 2 brothers who owned shop was called) 2 minutes walk from my flat, but we're talking 1960's/70's, not now. I remember, as a child taking shoes in to be mended and the smell of glue and leather to me was amazing! :okay:

I remember going to them with my Grandad as a kid. We'd go to the Butchers. He'd take his bag, fill it up with meat then get me to carry it :laugh: He'd often take his shoes to get repaired or a patch on them. I think they were "phillips patchs or soles", going from memory. I can still smell the place, even though my memory is fading of these times.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember going to them with my Grandad as a kid. We'd go to the Butchers. He'd take his bag, fill it up with meat then get me to carry it :laugh: He'd often take his shoes to get repaired or a patch on them. I think they were "phillips patchs or soles", going from memory. I can still smell the place, even though my memory is fading of these times.

We also had a 'leather works' factory and a shoe making factory in town. That glue and leather smell was quite pungent around town some days. I knew a few lads who worked in the shoe factory, who said they actually got high off those glue fumes!:ohmy: All before the days of masks, carcinogenic concerns etc.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We also had a 'leather works' factory and a shoe making factory in town. That glue and leather smell was quite pungent around town some days. I knew a few lads who worked in the shoe factory, who said they actually got high off those glue fumes!:ohmy: All before the days of masks, carcinogenic concerns etc.

I worked in a glue factory, 400 gallon churns 6 of em. you'd load em up with resin and a mix of Toluene, Acetone and MEK* from pumps that were fed by 20,000 gallon tanks in the back yard (underground) then switch em on with a temp sensor set to let you know when the'd reached a certain level then pack the contents off into either 200 litre barrels or 5 gallon cans but first you had to open the top and check that the glue had reached a certain viscosity so was ready to pack. Used to take about 5 hours to mix and by then the adhesive was at 55-60 degrees C, not unusual to see 5 or 6 of us sat outside waiting for the effects of the fumes to wear off. BTW this factory was in the middle of Enderby, if it had 'gone up' it would have wiped out the village but the tanks were safest when full so they kept them topped up weekly. Also within 100yds there was a petrol station and a coach depot that both had substantial amounts of fuel.

* MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone whereas Acetone is Ethyl Ethyl Ketone, we used to wash our hands in a bucket of acetone (nail varnish remover) then rub Lanolin in (they also made various shoe polishes and 'Last Slip' there) all gone with the demise of the Shoe Trade in the UK

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I worked in a glue factory, 400 gallon churns 6 of em. you'd load em up with resin and a mix of Toluene, Acetone and MEK* from pumps that were fed by 20,000 gallon tanks in the back yard (underground) then switch em on with a temp sensor set to let you know when the'd reached a certain level then pack the contents off into either 200 litre barrels or 5 gallon cans but first you had to open the top and check that the glue had reached a certain viscosity so was ready to pack. Used to take about 5 hours to mix and by then the adhesive was at 55-60 degrees C, not unusual to see 5 or 6 of us sat outside waiting for the effects of the fumes to wear off. BTW this factory was in the middle of Enderby, if it had 'gone up' it would have wiped out the village but the tanks were safest when full so they kept them topped up weekly. Also within 100yds there was a petrol station and a coach depot that both had substantial amounts of fuel.

* MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone whereas Acetone is Ethyl Ethyl Ketone, we used to wash our hands in a bucket of acetone (nail varnish remover) then rub Lanolin in (they also made various shoe polishes and 'Last Slip' there) all gone with the demise of the Shoe Trade in the UK

Wouldn't acetone be methyl methyl ketone, and I think propan-1-one in IUPAC speak

CH3-C=O-CH3 if I remember rightly though my A level was about 45 years ago

Regarding cleaning hands, our then you teacher who'd only recently done her PhD said they used to wash their hands in benzene after lab. A year or two later teaching us we only sparingly used benzene as it was a known carcinogen and we mostly used toluene instead (it's a benzene ring with a methyl group on it so similar enough for most purposes).

We did use benzene for the nitrating experiment as the teacher didn't want us ending up with Tri nitro toluene (TNT). I would assume tri nitro benzene would also be rather explosive so not sure what the point was, and in any case it's very hard to detonate TNT and the like without blowing them up with something else, so they're
not really dangerous

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wouldn't acetone be methyl methyl ketone, and I think propan-1-one in IUPAC speak

Regarding cleaning hands, our then you teacher who'd only recently done her PhD said they used to wash their hands in benzene after lab. A year or two later teaching us we only sparingly used benzene as it was a known carcinogen and we mostly used toluene instead (it's a benzene ring with a methyl group on it so similar enough for most purposes).

We did use benzene for the nitrating experiment as the teacher didn't want us ending up with Tri nitro toluene (TNT). I would assume tri nitro benzene would also be rather explosive so not sure what the point was, and in any case it's very hard to detonate TNT and the like without blowing them up with something else, so they're
not really dangerous

Yep I may be wrong, I only worked there for 18 months before the company got bought out (for it's product line and order book)

Main product was GF4, (General footwear 4) but we stuck labels onto the barrels/cans with a product nicknamed S2AB made of any glue left over after a production run poured into a bucket, the AB refers to A Blanket you can guess the rest

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yep I may be wrong, I only worked there for 18 months before the company got bought out (for it's product line and order book)

Main product was GF4, (General footwear 4) but we stuck labels onto the barrels/cans with a product nicknamed S2AB made of any glue left over after a production run poured into a bucket, the AB refers to A Blanket you can guess the rest

Sorry for quibbling. It was more a bit of reminiscing of stuff I enjoyed doing a long time back

winjim

Smash the cistern

Acetone = propanone (C3)

MEK = butanone (C4)

You can put the position of the carbonyl in if you like and call them propan-2-one and butan-2-one but it's kind of redundant as there's nowhere else to put it. A carbonyl in the 1 position is an aldehyde.

Top Bottom