The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
I'd consider a for example not part of a chain, family owned corner shop far less profitable than a charity shop which IS part of a chain. Would I take a loaf or a tin of beans back to that corner shop if I saw they were out of date, when I got home? No I wouldn't as ok they'd be far less in cost than that £29.95 rain mac, but I'd feel bad at asking for a money return from a shop that probably only makes enough to survive on each day, unlike most charity shops that always seem busy, staffed by mainly free labor!

What you feel about businesses is completely irrelevant.

They are trying to make a living from their business.

Charities are not making a living from it, they are helping others from their "business", and every time you ask for a refund, you are taking money away from what is available to help those others.

Of course if, as you say in another post, they actually said to you that you can bring it back for a refund within 2 weeks, that makes a difference - though you only brought that in quite a few posts into this discussion.

stephec

Squire
I bought this today in a charity shop. It was there facing me when I went in, like it was waiting for me to buy it. It's new said the bloke behind the counter and I think he might be right. I was after a raincoat/mac the other week, which I mentioned back thread. The one I bought today isn't quite as long as I'd like, with below the knee, not slightly above being my preference, but at that price and in such good nick I thought it was worth the less that 30 quid! Plus, it's beige/stone/fawn whatever, so it won't show marks like it would do if it was navy or black.

View attachment 745243

View attachment 745244

View attachment 745245

View attachment 745246

View attachment 745247

I wouldn't wear such a the moleskin trousers and brogues I'm wearing in the above photos. I just thought id try it on, regardless of what I had on at the time. :okay:

It's a no from me on that one, men's raincoats seem to be typically below the knee whereas women's ones are sometimes a bit shorter.

Unless your intention is to flash a bit of leg? 😂

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yep, absolutely. And if it was sold on those terms then I wouldn't have an issue with anyone doing that.

Why not just try it on in the shop in the first place though?

Not sure in Accys case, but sometimes when you try something on, you might buy it then decide when you walk around in your own environment later on that it doesn't really suit you. When i lost nearly half of my bodyweight, I was like that. Took me a while to get used to my new "image".

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Of course if, as you say in another post, they actually said to you that you can bring it back for a refund within 2 weeks, that makes a difference - though you only brought that in quite a few posts into this discussion.
I would've thought it was obvious that all shops offer a refund on unworn (though obviously not for 2nd hand stuff) undamaged goods bought from them, unless it's underwear and socks.

Alex321

Guru
I would've thought it was obvious that all shops offer a refund on unworn (though obviously not for 2nd hand stuff) undamaged goods bought from them, unless it's underwear and socks.

No, it isn't obvious at all.

Most, but not all, retail businesses will do so with new items, for the sake of customer goodwill. But there is no legal requirement for them to do so unless bought by "distance selling". And not all will.

Very few will with second hand goods, and most of what most charity shops sell is second hand. Quite apart from their whole purpose being completely different to a regular business.

Top Bottom