The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Accy keeping watch on his disabled parking bay, yesterday.

tumblr_e12e308a90b113d9c246a024a3185e20_ae26bf55_540.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have until midnight to order the Sporting Check suit before their 10 percent offer ends on the 12th, which is tomorrow, as I post. I'm still undecided which jacket to go for. Should I buy the Action Back 'shooting' one with the bellow pockets and the obviously different back to the jacket, or the more city style one? I intend to order the trousers with a straight hem if I choose the Action Back jacket, to play down the country look I get with the usual cuffed/turn ups I order for tweed suits. 🤔

View attachment 744964

View attachment 744965
https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-action-back-jacket.html

View attachment 744966
https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-jacket.html

I didn't buy the above. Instead I spent the money intended for the suit on another gold jewelry item. Which is a better investment than another Cordings suit, monetarily speaking of course, as Cordings suits are always a style investment! I might change my mind in a few days or so and decide to buy it, putting my 'you cant take it with you'! hat on. 🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm into socks at the moment, especially ribbed socks! I bought these two pairs today from one of my favourite men's outfitters, Elan Boutique in Clitheroe Lancashire. They are ten pounds a pair though I now get ten percent off anything/everything I buy from the shop. These socks are seventy five percent bamboo. I've had bamboo socks before and they were quite harsh feeling, making them uncomfortable, but these are so much better.

hc=HAngFEotU2YQ7kNvgHk_1-X&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=pZm67kgRoeYQ7kNvgGJ1cUp&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought this today in a charity shop. It was there facing me when I went in, like it was waiting for me to buy it. It's new said the bloke behind the counter and I think he might be right. I was after a raincoat/mac the other week, which I mentioned back thread. The one I bought today isn't quite as long as I'd like, with below the knee, not slightly above being my preference, but at that price and in such good nick I thought it was worth the less that 30 quid! Plus, it's beige/stone/fawn whatever, so it won't show marks like it would do if it was navy or black.

View attachment 745243

View attachment 745244

View attachment 745245

View attachment 745246

View attachment 745247

I wouldn't wear such a the moleskin trousers and brogues I'm wearing in the above photos. I just thought id try it on, regardless of what I had on at the time. :okay:

I saw a bloke wearing one of these yesterday, in what must've been 70 Fahrenheit 'heat'. He also had what looked like a heavy rucksack on his back. Mmm, why wear a rain mac in such conditions, I wondered at the time. 🤔 I had my Cordings beige linen suit jacket and trousers on, leaving the waistcoat in my car. I didn't wear a tie or even a cravat with my shirt, such was the 'Indian summer' warmth. 🧐 I'm thinking of taking the above M&S rain mac back for a refund, as that above the knee, not below length slightly bugs me and mmm, maybe it is a bit camp as well. 🤔🧐

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I saw a bloke wearing one of these yesterday, in what must've been 70 Fahrenheit 'heat'. He also had what looked like a heavy rucksack on his back. Mmm, why wear a rain mac in such conditions, I wondered at the time. 🤔 I had my Cordings beige linen suit jacket and trousers on, leaving the waistcoat in my car. I didn't wear a tie or even a cravat with my shirt, such was the 'Indian summer' warmth. 🧐 I'm thinking of taking the above M&S rain mac back for a refund, as that above the knee, not below length slightly bugs me and mmm, maybe it is a bit camp as well. 🤔🧐

It's too short, i agree. I don't think it suits you.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Plus raincoats have a short annual 'shelf life'. They are ok when it's still not too cold and its raining in autumn, but to me a very short autumn quickly descends into winter where raincoats aren't warm enough at all.:cold:

grldtnr

Über Member
I saw a bloke wearing one of these yesterday, in what must've been 70 Fahrenheit 'heat'. He also had what looked like a heavy rucksack on his back. Mmm, why wear a rain mac in such conditions, I wondered at the time. 🤔 I had my Cordings beige linen suit jacket and trousers on, leaving the waistcoat in my car. I didn't wear a tie or even a cravat with my shirt, such was the 'Indian summer' warmth. 🧐 I'm thinking of taking the above M&S rain mac back for a refund, as that above the knee, not below length slightly bugs me and mmm, maybe it is a bit camp as well.

Taking something back to a charity shop,for a refund, is that ethical?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Consumer statutory rights apply to charity shops. As long as he's got the receipt, it's in the condition he bought it in and it's within 30 days he can return it for a refund.

Not a move I'd be pulling myself on a charity shop.

Legal and ethical are not equivalent. Personally I'd redonate it. TBH thirty quid seems a bit steep for an old M&S mac anyway, my Aquascutum trench coat was less than that. Although again, I wouldn't quibble at charity shop pricing, I'd consider it a donation.

AndyRM

XOXO
Legal and ethical are not equivalent. Personally I'd redonate it. TBH thirty quid seems a bit steep for an old M&S mac anyway, my Aquascutum trench coat was less than that. Although again, I wouldn't quibble at charity shop pricing, I'd consider it a donation.

I don't disagree.

I'd be seriously unimpressed if anyone came in looking for a refund on clothing at the place I volunteer at.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't see a problem with taking stuff back to charity shops at all! The owner of the retro clothing shop I work in is forever calling charity shops for selling donated stuff way above their value. He says they get stuff donated, unlike him who has to buy clothes to sell in his shop. Ok sometimes he gets donated items, but they are few and far between and he usually knocks money of for items bought by those who give him stuff for free. Look up the salaries of directors of charitable organisations and you'll see astronomic incomes! Not only that but charity shops pay far less in business community charges than 'none charitable' businesses do! Plus to those who think it's unethical to take items back to charity shops for refunds, do they think the same about taking stuff back to none charitable businesses that may be financially struggling? Many shops/businesses may rely on one or two sales a day to survive. If a customer was to take one of those items back for a refund that could lead to that business closing. Plus charity shops tend to 'employ' volunteers, having only one paid member of staff. Whereas none charitable shops/businesses have to pay all their staff, albeit many on the minimum wage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom