The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm thinking about buying the Sporting Check Action Back jacket rather than the suit. 🤔 I've been thinking that I've already bought 4 Cordings suits this year, which is quite extravagant, so another one.....mmmm!🤔 Plus I have quite a lot of Cordings cords and moleskin trousers that won't get much wear time this coming autumn/winter if I mainly wear the 3 autumn/winter suits I'd have if I bought another one. The Action Back is different to my other tweed jackets with its large outer pockets, more room on the back of the shoulders for shooting (which obviously I wouldn't take part in😇, but it's the look) and 2 lapel button holes.🤔
View attachment 744540

View attachment 744541

https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-action-back-jacket.html

I quite like the idea of going the full hog with a proper Norfolk jacket; the one in Accie's post being the cityfied toned down version merely with a sham half-belt. A proper Norfolk has a full belt and front vertical pleats . That one is neither one thing nor t'other to my taste. Trouble is, they are quite expensive, OK not by Accie's standards but still quite a lot for something I might not have the nerve to wear. Accie's beloved Cordings do one for £850 !

Made to Order Full Norfolk Jacket - Tweed

I do have a nice tweed jacket (full suit actually) which has the "action back" arrangement mainly for shooting but is otherwise a normal, if heavy suit jacket. I wear that a lot. As an aside it came with waistcoat and breeks rather than trousers: trousers were a special order. I don't go shooting either but it's a nice jacket and as a full suit. Wore it so much had to have it relined by my local taylor. The cloth itself seems indestructible and I haven't even had to resort to leather elbow
patches yet. It is is even teflon coated to make it somewhat more water resistant for the grouse moor (or more to the point walking to the station without bothering with an anorak)

81E8EAA5-685C-4229-BD36-5367E31E5315.jpeg

I

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I quite like the idea of going the full hog with a proper Norfolk jacket; the one in Accie's post being the cityfied toned down version merely with a sham half-belt. A proper Norfolk has a full belt and front vertical pleats . That one is neither one thing nor t'other to my taste. Trouble is, they are quite expensive, OK not by Accie's standards but still quite a lot for something I might not have the nerve to wear. Accie's beloved Cordings do one for £850 !

View attachment 744573

I do have a nice tweed jacket (full suit actually) which has the "action back" arrangement mainly for shooting but is otherwise a normal, if heavy suit jacket. I wear that a lot. As an aside it came with waistcoat and breeks rather than trousers: trousers were a special order. I don't go shooting either but it's a nice jacket and as a full suit. Wore it so much had to have it relined by my local taylor. The cloth itself seems indestructible and I haven't even had to resort to leather elbow
patches yet. It is is even teflon coated to make it somewhat more water resistant for the grouse moor (or more to the point walking to the station without bothering with an anorak)

View attachment 744572

I

Sadly both Cordings Norfolk Jackets aren't available in my size. The £545 one has sold out of my 42L size and the £850 isn't available in Long sizes. That's good in a way as it's two less things to throw into 'which/what should I buy' dilemma!!!🤔 🧐

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Linen suits:

Can anyone recommend an online purveyor of linen suits? Mine is a bit worn now, and even my "new" linen trousers are almost through the arse. My current one was from Harvie and Hudson, who are mostly a shirtmaker, and I got the jacket very very cheap in their sale ( £125 !) and subsequently the trousers not too excessively dear either. Sadly the same thing from them now is north of £600 and even then they're out of stock. I don't want to pay quite that much for linen as, not surprisingly, it doesn't last nearly as long as heavy duty country tweed !

I should add that I'm after a dark blue (or similar) one as I still have a pristine H&H humphrey bogart / man from del monte one, as it only comes out occasionally

Any pointers?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I quite like the idea of going the full hog with a proper Norfolk jacket; the one in Accie's post being the cityfied toned down version merely with a sham half-belt.
That's how I'd describe it. It's not too countryfide, so it will look acceptable about town, but it's ok for country walks etc, not that I do such things these days.🧐

Edit....Regarding the none working half belt, I'm ok with that as I'm not a full working belt fan on coats and jackets. Being very slim, I find drawn in at the waist coats and jackets make me look even thinner. 🤔 And don't get me started on belts either buckled up at the back or even worse tied in a casual knot at the front!!:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Linen suits:

Can anyone recommend an online purveyor of linen suits? Mine is a bit worn now, and even my "new" linen trousers are almost through the arse. My current one was from Harvie and Hudson, who are mostly a shirtmaker, and I got the jacket very very cheap in their sale ( £125 !) and subsequently the trousers not too excessively dear either. Sadly the same thing from them now is north of £600 and even then they're out of stock. I don't want to pay quite that much for linen as, not surprisingly, it doesn't last nearly as long as heavy duty country tweed !

I should add that I'm after a dark blue (or similar) one as I still have a pristine H&H humphrey bogart / man from del monte one, as it only comes out occasionally

Any pointers?

Have a look on here to see what's left. https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/linen-suits Though I doubt you'd be able to find a full 3 piece suit, as items are well reduced in price, meaning there won't be much left. There will be lesser quality linen/polyester ones out there of course!!🧐

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's how I'd describe it. It's not too countryfide, so it will look acceptable about town, but it's ok for country walks etc, not that I do such things these days.🧐

Edit....Regarding the none working half belt, I'm ok with that as I'm not a full working belt fan on coats and jackets. Being very slim, I find drawn in at the waist coats and jackets make me look even thinner. 🤔 And don't get me started on belts either buckled up at the back or even worse tied in a casual knot at the front!!:thumbsdown:

Agree about the casually tied belt thing; really naff

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Linen suits:

Any pointers?

brook taverner are always worth a look, decent quality but more affordable than cordings, right time of year to be buying a linen suit too if they still have your sizes.

(or more to the point walking to the station without bothering with an anorak)
I have a Harris Tweed jacket (and another Tweed wool jacket) that, worn with a flat cap, turn enough rain to cope with most conditions for short walk. Smart enough for proper smart with chinos or casual with jeans etc, a bit more versatile than a full suit.

I have a couple of other tweed style suits but often don't full suit up - just the jacket or waist coat or both with jeans or chinos.

I also quite like the utility of norfolk style patch pockets (the non harris one has those - if they are flapless they area good storage point for ones flat cap! and putting stuff in them doesnt spoil the hang of the jacket as it can with regular suit jacket pockets

grldtnr

Über Member
Rather like the idea of a Norfolk Jkt ,plus deerstalker, and plusses to ride the recumbent trike, need stockings and brown brogues, as long as the have SPD cleats , fitted, a monocle ,briar pipe and silk muffler and tie to finish it, got the beard need to growing a bit then trim as per Prince of Wales ( Bertie, Queen Vicky's wayward son)
Think I may look quite dashing+

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I like this, especially as it's now half price, due to only one size remaining. That remaining size is 40L. I'm a 42L, but in the description it says "Generously cut across the chest and under the arm, our Harris tweed jackets are superbly made" I wonder If It'd fit me. 🤔 Yes, I could buy it then send it back if it's too tight, but beside the hassle of repacking it, It'd cost me about £5 to return it, beside the £7 it'd cost to have it delivered.

jk763-mstxx-a_1.jpg

https://www.cordings.co.uk/mustard-lewis-harris-tweed-jacket.html

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mind you, I could buy it along with something I know will fit me, then if I have to send it back I'd only be paying for the return as such, as no matter what you buy off Cordings you pay £7 regardless of how many items you buy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have until midnight to order the Sporting Check suit before their 10 percent offer ends on the 12th, which is tomorrow, as I post. I'm still undecided which jacket to go for. Should I buy the Action Back 'shooting' one with the bellow pockets and the obviously different back to the jacket, or the more city style one? I intend to order the trousers with a straight hem if I choose the Action Back jacket, to play down the country look I get with the usual cuffed/turn ups I order for tweed suits. 🤔

action-back-sporting-check-tweed.jpg

jacket.png

https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-action-back-jacket.html

jk514-allxx_2.jpg

https://www.cordings.co.uk/sporting-check-jacket.html

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I bought this today in a charity shop. It was there facing me when I went in, like it was waiting for me to buy it. It's new said the bloke behind the counter and I think he might be right. I was after a raincoat/mac the other week, which I mentioned back thread. The one I bought today isn't quite as long as I'd like, with below the knee, not slightly above being my preference, but at that price and in such good nick I thought it was worth the less that 30 quid! Plus, it's beige/stone/fawn whatever, so it won't show marks like it would do if it was navy or black.

hc=cF1vv2kJ1oUQ7kNvgEOVpge&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=KrEhpcswCFcQ7kNvgEugCEX&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

hc=PYO9DYNCbtYQ7kNvgG6oaIa&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=wVx_33l4D8AQ7kNvgHjxh26&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=3513KEdkXjoQ7kNvgGGwEY8&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

I wouldn't wear such a the moleskin trousers and brogues I'm wearing in the above photos. I just thought id try it on, regardless of what I had on at the time. :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom