The men's dress style thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Salvation Army have bins around the town for recycling textile material.

Suspect most of it ends up getting shipped to countries and burned as fuel for industry.
Very eco friendly, but I tried.

Apparently a lot goes towards making fibre for good quality paper

a lot used to be used for money but clearly that is not needed anymore - in this country anyway

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm on the verge of buying this monocle. I thought about this one https://www.monoclemadness.co.uk/products/gold-monocle-chain?variant=42184209367196 but it's just the same as the one below, but with a gold chain. I have a long thin 9 carat gold chain so why buy a gold plated one I ask. 🧐
View attachment 732040
https://www.monoclemadness.co.uk/pr...rat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=4a26ce03e&pr_rec_pid=16

View attachment 732041

View attachment 732042

How Do You Wear A Monocle?​

The monocle should not be 'gripped' using the muscles around the eye. The gallery (the raised top and bottom rim of the monocle) should be horizontal and is there to keep the lens away from the eye for improved comfort and a more secure fit.
Step 1:Hold the monocle eyepiece by the loop where the pendent meets the monocle (See FIG. 01.) and 'tip it' so the top gallery makes contact first with the loose skin between the eyebrow and the top of the eyelid.Step 2:Then with a slight upward motion the bottom gallery should be brought in to contact with the skin at the bottom of the eye socket.Step 3:
With practice, this quick and easy manoeuvre will hold the monocle loosely but firmly in place.
You might also want to try placing the bottom gallery on the upper cheek first (See FIG. 02.) and then place the upper gallery in position whilst raising the eyebrow.
You might also find it easier initially if the monocle is placed closer to the corner of the eye, just play around within the mirror and experiment.
When the monocle is in position in front of the eye, both eyes should remain open. You will then find your brain compensates for both reading sight (through the monocle) and natural distance vision as seen through the unaffected eye and surprisingly you can see both without blurring.

I wore my monocle today as I had a short nap on a comfy sofa in a charity shop.🧐💤💤💤💤💤💤💤

hc=WWKcsqoaXukQ7kNvgGOBriB&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

hc=XUnpxs8CbSIQ7kNvgGeuK7X&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
Right urgent fashion guidance call.
I have to go to a mediaeval peasant style affair.
Have the outfit.
The hat, a sort of green felt Robin hood style, peasant hat, thing.

Now some feathers have come into my possession.

I need to know which side of the hat I should dress?
Would be embarrassing to make the wrong choice and compound the generally held opinion of my dress and any other sort of sense.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Have the outfit.

Would be embarrassing to make the wrong choice and compound the generally held opinion of my dress and any other sort of sense.

Tough one! I have to wear a medieval style hat for graduation ceremonies and am reliably told to wear the tassel to my left. Maybe feathers follow similar etiquette.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Have the outfit.

Left, they were originally a ladies‘ love token so should be on the same side as the heart.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have the outfit.

Mmm, is the hat similar to this one below? 🤔 If so I'd place the feathers on the left side of the head wear, like the one in the photo. 🧐

il_794xN.6085547341_gr5l.jpg

Last edited:

grldtnr

Über Member
Before they became mainly decoration there was a language of feathers, just as there is of flowers. I don't know off hand what "manky crow" means, but it doesn't look good.

Manky Crow means a crow without the presumed sartorial elegance off Accy cyclist.
Whom is truly a peacock, amongst men.

What's wrong with crows, ok they ain't distinguished as a peacock Lancastrian, but jolly fine birds, with a penchant for roadkill mins.
Don't see Accy tucking into the gizzards of squished badger.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I know what a manky crow is, my house is next to a rookery. What I meant was the meaning of a crow feather, is it similar to a yellow carnation in the language of flowers ("do one" as the modern idiom would say)?

Top Bottom