The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Shampoo... May I recommend the solid bars of shampoo as opposed to the bottles. You get far better mileage out of them, and the packaging is better for the environment too. I love the Alberto Balsam coconut & lychee one that Tesco sells.
is it actually cheaper than shampoo from the likes of Aldi/Lidl?
(it's not too long ago that Lidl used to sell a shower gel for 16p - with just a stuck-on label - was perfectly good in my experience)

Petrichorwheels

Electric blankets are brilliant for this purpose, both in bed and on the sofa, if you want to avoid or minimise heating.

recommendation?
(haven't used an electric blanket since the days when they were only considered safe for pre-heating beds - and I don't think that's necessary at all if you are essentially healthy)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
what hot water bottle do you use?
as a northern kid of old often went to bed with a seriously hot bottle with no cover.
But now I gather there are all sorts of things to look out for - cover, rather low temps (40-60C?) etc etc.
So wonder if worth it.
Don't need one for bed I stress but interested for when sat on the sofa under cover to save on heating - as a student in non centrally heated shared house we 3 often used to sit on a sofa under a blanket watching the telly.
Happy days :smile:

One with a fleece cover. Nothing special, just from Tesco I think. Keep their warmth a decent time when tucked under blanket with you.

winjim

Smash the cistern
will avoid the forums thanks
though a coffee head I avoid all those coffee head forums.
can't you just use normal shaving gel?

Give it a go I guess. Part of my motivation was to cut down on waste so I ditched the squirty stuff straight away. But a seven or eight quid block of good shaving soap lasts for months and months. Brushes start at maybe a tenner, I used a cheap scratchy one for a while that was horrible, but investing in a decent Kent brush was absolutely worth it.

Again I suppose it depends on how weird and ritualistic you want to get about it. It's my limited personal time so I'm prepared to get a bit more involved than perhaps is entirely necessary.

is it actually cheaper than shampoo from the likes of Aldi/Lidl?
(it's not too long ago that Lidl used to sell a shower gel for 16p - with just a stuck-on label - was perfectly good in my experience)

I would imagine so. The Alberto Balsam shampoo bars in Tesco are £2.50 a pop. But you lather up with your hands and then work it into your hair, rather than squeezing too much out of a bottle. So yes, I opened a solid bar mid July, and there's still loads left. And that's with doing a double lather and rinse as I have greasy hair.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What does puzzle me is tourists coming here and buying large amounts of expensive water when we have perfectly good water straight from the tap at no extra charge.
In the past most highland water was brown in colour and looked a bit like weak tea. It was perfectly safe to drink as the colour came from the peat at the source.
tastes peaty too... which i quickly got accustomed to :okay:

Petrichorwheels

I would imagine so. The Alberto Balsam shampoo bars in Tesco are £2.50 a pop. But you lather up with your hands and then work it into your hair, rather than squeezing too much out of a bottle. So yes, I opened a solid bar mid July, and there's still loads left. And that's with doing a double lather and rinse as I have greasy hair.

question - as I find bits of my domestic stuff converging with cycle touring/camping - and am a great fan of multi-purpose stuff - could you wash dishes with it as well?

Petrichorwheels

I now get three cups of tea out of one teabag rather than throwing it away after the first brew.

well done though my limit is two.
(have you tried cheaper bags instead)

Petrichorwheels

Also what if a guest came and saw a loo full of urine? Its not very nice and they would tell people as well.

Don't you usually know when guests are coming?
Or do you live in fear of an unannounced visit from the state toilet police.
(FREEZE - no sudden moves - no going upstairs - WE HAVE REASON to believe)
No probs if a sudden visitor to just pop upstairs surely?

Petrichorwheels

I am not one for the heating and do use my water bottle. My last home was very cold so I invested in a single electric blanket and snuggled under until I was warm - about 5 mins - then turned it off.

Feel free to post links for hot water bottle* and leccy blanket.

* are they worth bothering with ? - have the idea that there as so many caveats with them these days.

Top Bottom