The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Pick up a copy of yesterday's Daily Mail from the floor of the bus on the way home from work. It will save you having to buy toilet paper. :okay:

Cannot remember the details now but an electrician I used to employ was very fussy about which newspapers were best for that use. He had a large family so it was a considerable saving.
I do remember during the last war that newspaper was commonly used. Tear into reasonable size bits and punch a hole to suspend from a nail hammered into the wall. Fussy people used a bit of string and suspended the paper from a hook.:whistle:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Should these newspapers be used to wrap chips in first to get the greaseproof coating like Izal?

Asking for a friend....

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am in a pretty good financial position, but have always lived fairly frugally, but I do mix that in with some special treats and luxury purchases, however they will be very well researched to get value for money. I also feel very lucky in that I can invest to be frugal. For example, I can afford to batch make a huge curry that will last for 10 family meals and be able to invest in solar panels or save money with an air fryer and all my bulb replaced with LED. Those living fairly hand to mouth cannot afford the initial investment and so find it much harder, I do count myself pretty lucky.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Anyone though can afford to batch cook a big curry unless they have absolutley no money at all. I personally cant stand batch cooked food, which is essentially frozen food reheated. I couldnt eat that even if I was desperate and starving.

Petrichorwheels

Not flushing the yellow stuff doesn't mean we don't regularly clean the bowl too. We just save X amount of cisterns full of water each and every day. Imagine the impact of reservoir levels if every household 'skipped' around ten unnecessary flushes each day :okay:

And I'm not even on a meter!

personally I think all new houses (maybe it's more difficult for flats but could surely be sorted with a communal system) should as a primary source flush toilets from waste water - rain water plus the drainage from baths/showers/sinks etc etc - not complicated surely to filter out any solid matter?

Petrichorwheels

Anyone though can afford to batch cook a big curry unless they have absolutley no money at all. I personally cant stand batch cooked food, which is essentially frozen food reheated. I couldnt eat that even if I was desperate and starving.

what do you think most "ready" meals are?
Plus posh supermarket meals made "using a renaissance recipe" are?
Plus for that matter much stuff served up in eateries, some supposedly high end.
If you cook it yourself, no great problem as far as I can see - often far far superior - you know exactly what's in it.
ie natural stuff frozen.

Last edited:

Thats would apply to nearly all food with one exception - curries. If you know your curries, it taste better the next day and keeps well. Thaw it and heat it up on high heat and its comes roaring back.

Have a go with Caribbean goat curry and taste it the next day. Curries also for some reason cannot be cooked in small portions or for one person, so batch become inevitable if it is a single household.

I tried batch cook for other food types and the loss of taste was pronounced.

Petrichorwheels

Cannot remember the details now but an electrician I used to employ was very fussy about which newspapers were best for that use. He had a large family so it was a considerable saving.
I do remember during the last war that newspaper was commonly used. Tear into reasonable size bits and punch a hole to suspend from a nail hammered into the wall. Fussy people used a bit of string and suspended the paper from a hook.:whistle:

I know someone foreign who after knowing me for years and years volunteered that for her family this was the norm when they were a child.
(if I was more perceptive I should have sussed something of that ilk - had long long been vaguely aware that they had certain strangely heartfelt toilet issues)
I should imagine though that there could be transfer issues (hence your electrician's care I assume) - apart from a certain concern might lead to folks involved in certain sexual practices becoming particularly attentive in their ministrations as they go strangely silent/inactive as they peruse a news item they had previously been entirely unaware of.
Thanks for that - it was wonderful - you've got a beautiful *** - I didn't know about that action on the Korean border.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... It's a personal choice, I don't like peeing into a toilet with already stale pee in it. Yuk.

yeah but if everyone did that, we'd be wasting millions of gallons of drinking wate... oh, wait :ohmy:

Petrichorwheels

Thats would apply to nearly all food with one exception - curries. If you know your curries, it taste better the next day and keeps well. Thaw it and heat it up on high heat and its comes roaring back.

Have a go with Caribbean goat curry and taste it the next day. Curries also for some reason cannot be cooked in small portions or for one person, so batch become inevitable if it is a single household.

I tried batch cook for other food types and the loss of taste was pronounced.

I've batch cooked chill con carne in a slow cooker - with proper powerful chillies from the market - and then frozen in batches.
Far superior to the slop you buy in tins (pretty much all those things in my experience are cooked on the mild side for maximum acceptability) .
all ingredients entirely natural.
and the meat almost certainly superior.

Petrichorwheels

Another one for a DE safety razor here, blades cost 10p each and last a good few weeks if you're lazy like me and only shave twice a week.

please post a link for your supplier.
(must admit to being a tad bemused by the ever increasing number of blades on disposables - 5? at the mo? - I tend to use Aldi and find them perfectly good - am forever shocked when I wander in my local Sainsbury's - nearest outlet of anything to me - and see the prices of their branded blades - by Christmas I expect to see an armed guard on them)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I know someone foreign who after knowing me for years and years volunteered that her for her family this was the norm when they were a child.
(if I was more perceptive I should have sussed something of that ilk - had long long been vaguely aware that they certain strangely heartfelt toilet issues)
I should imagine though that there could be transfer issues (hence your electrician's care I assume) - apart from a certain concern might lead to folks involved in certain sexual practices becoming particularly attentive in their ministrations as they go strangely silent/inactive as they peruse a news item they had previously been entirely unaware of.
Thanks for that - it was wonderful - you've got a beautiful *** - I didn't know about that action on the Korean border.

The difficulty with some newspapers was that the paper was too hard and uncomfortable in use apparently. Cannot now remember the details but he recommended a particular newspaper.

Petrichorwheels

The difficulty with some newspapers was that the paper was too hard and uncomfortable in use apparently. Cannot now remember the details but he recommended a particular newspaper.

delve delve back into your repressed psyche please.
Like some on here i quite often pick up free newspapers for practical things - kitchen floor duties - polishing shoes etc etc.

Top Bottom