The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Only a fool would go to London... and only a foolish fool would drink the tap water :rolleyes:

I have been there a couple of times for job interviews a long time ago and somehow avoided drinking any water.
What does puzzle me is tourists coming here and buying large amounts of expensive water when we have perfectly good water straight from the tap at no extra charge.
In the past most highland water was brown in colour and looked a bit like weak tea. It was perfectly safe to drink as the colour came from the peat at the source.

Petrichorwheels

All you posters worrying about flushing your loo should move to Scotland, domestic water rates are a fixed amount and no meters,

But what are the rates?
For years I avoided going metered as I thought it would affect the saleability of the house (once a place goes metered I don't think you can go back) but then Thames Water (of which I am no fan) madfe it compulsory, so nowt to lose.
Have saved a small fortune.
(while I am sparing with loo flushing - have two which makes things simpler)

Petrichorwheels

I have been there a couple of times for job interviews a long time ago and somehow avoided drinking any water.
What does puzzle me is tourists coming here and buying large amounts of expensive water when we have perfectly good water straight from the tap at no extra charge.
In the past most highland water was brown in colour and looked a bit like weak tea. It was perfectly safe to drink as the colour came from the peat at the source.

some tourists have a low opinion of what Brits put in their mouths.
Agree of course that it's fine from the tap - any tap.

Petrichorwheels

One approach is to have a look at your usual diet and make a change for healthy, more fresh plant based with a less meat. They are much cheaper. No need to go organic as they are expensive. Things like couscous, lentils, tofu and a wide variety of greens. Instead of steak, add slices of meat like the Chinese and Thais do for their dishes.

View attachment 661468

good point - I often add tinned corned beef to stuff for a "whiff" of meat - I can make a can last over a week no problems.

winjim

Smash the cistern
please post a link for your supplier.
(must admit to being a tad bemused by the ever increasing number of blades on disposables - 5? at the mo? - I tend to use Aldi and find them perfectly good - am forever shocked when I wander in my local Sainsbury's - nearest outlet of anything to me - and see the prices of their branded blades - by Christmas I expect to see an armed guard on them)

I use these guys, who are Sheffield company Edwin Jagger trading under a different name and also stocking other brands.

https://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/

I use a Muhle R106 which has the same head as the Edwin Jagger DE89. It's great, price notwithstanding I'd still never go back to using cartridges or disposables.

Petrichorwheels

I use these guys, who are Sheffield company Edwin Jagger trading under a different name and also stocking other brands.

https://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/

I use a Muhle R106 which has the same head as the Edwin Jagger DE89. It's great, price notwithstanding I'd still never go back to using cartridges or disposables.

you find the shave as good. No nicks?
(have had some spectacular shaving incidents in the past though maybe from using twin blades for too long - though maybe have a habit of rushing things)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
But what are the rates?
For years I avoided going metered as I thought it would affect the saleability of the house (once a place goes metered I don't think you can go back) but then Thames Water (of which I am no fan) madfe it compulsory, so nowt to lose.
Have saved a small fortune.
(while I am sparing with loo flushing - have two which makes things simpler)

I currently pay £172-20 for water for the year 2022 - 2023.

Petrichorwheels

I currently pay £172-20 for water for the year 2022 - 2023.

I think I pay about £70 twice a year in London.
(I wouldn't like to speculate on the value of the stuff Thames Water leaks every year - I live in in an area of south London which could have hosted the Olympics water slalom down the main road)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
some tourists have a low opinion of what Brits put in their mouths.
Agree of course that it's fine from the tap - any tap.

The majority of Scotland has soft water which does have a different taste from hard.

winjim

Smash the cistern
you find the shave as giood. No nicks?
(have had some spectacular shaving incidents in the past though maybe from using twin blades for too long)

The shave is much better. You need to allow time for multiple passes, I use three, and have a very light hand. It does take some getting used to and I'm not gonna say you won't nick yourself in the beginning, but once you get the technique down it'll give you as smooth a shave as you could want.

Do replace your blades regularly and try a few different brands out though, some people find that certain types nick and pull a bit on their faces, it can be a bit personal. A good brush and plenty of prep with a decent soap helps as well.

There are whole forums and YouTube channels dedicated to this if you want to take a deep dive...

Kingfisher101

Über Member
what do you think most "ready" meals are?
Plus posh supermarket meals made "using a renaissance recipe" are?
Plus for that matter much stuff served up in eateries, some supposedly high end.
If you cook it yourself, no great problem as far as I can see - often far far superior - you know exactly what's in it.
ie natural stuff frozen.

I know what ready meals are thanks and food served in pubs and restaurants. I dont eat frozen ready meals no matter whos cooked them, myself, a pub or M and S. I just dont like them.
I only like fresh food I've prepared myself eaten straight away. I can cope with something in a pot left on a hob for next day. But not frozen and reheated. No chance.

Petrichorwheels

The shave is much better. You need to allow time for multiple passes, I use three, and have a very light hand. It does take some getting used to and I'm not gonna say you won't nick yourself in the beginning, but once you get the technique down it'll give you as smooth a shave as you could want.

Do replace your blades regularly and try a few different brands out though, some people find that certain types nick and pull a bit on their faces, it can be a bit personal. A good brush and plenty of prep with a decent soap helps as well.

There are whole forums and YouTube channels dedicated to this if you want to take a deep dive...

will avoid the forums thanks
though a coffee head I avoid all those coffee head forums.
can't you just use normal shaving gel?

Petrichorwheels

I know what ready meals are thanks and food served in pubs and restaurants. I dont eat frozen ready meals no matter whos cooked them, myself, a pub or M and S. I just dont like them.
I only like fresh food I've prepared myself eaten straight away. I can cope with something in a pot left on a hob for next day. But not frozen and reheated. No chance.

but wot mysterious terrible things happen to stuff frozen?
I'm inclined to trust eskimos.

Petrichorwheels

Hot water bottle under a blanket on your sofa rather than keep heating going. Heat the person not the the empty space around them.

what hot water bottle do you use?
as a northern kid of old often went to bed with a seriously hot bottle with no cover.
But now I gather there are all sorts of things to look out for - cover, rather low temps (40-60C?) etc etc.
So wonder if worth it.
Don't need one for bed I stress but interested for when sat on the sofa under cover to save on heating - as a student in non centrally heated shared house we 3 often used to sit on a sofa under a blanket watching the telly.
Happy days :smile:

Top Bottom