The Frugality Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Squire
please post a link for your supplier.
(must admit to being a tad bemused by the ever increasing number of blades on disposables - 5? at the mo? - I tend to use Aldi and find them perfectly good - am forever shocked when I wander in my local Sainsbury's - nearest outlet of anything to me - and see the prices of their branded blades - by Christmas I expect to see an armed guard on them)

A big auction website's the place to look.

A lot of suppliers will sell you one of each type of blade, so you can get 10 different kinds for £2 and see which ones you prefer.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Same as me approximately, on meter. £17/month for 10 months of year.

We have no meters so no need to economise for cost reasons. I do not overdo consumption but it is just something I never think much about.
Those like my wildlife pal gets his private supply tested by Scottish Water but never asked him how much it costs.

Feel free to post links for hot water bottle* and leccy blanket.

* are they worth bothering with ? - have the idea that there as so many caveats with them these days.

I usually buy myself a new hot water bottle every year or two - at present they are £2 in Poundstretcher. I prefer a pure wool cover rather than a fleece cover but that's down to personal choice; I feel its a better insulator than polyester fleece and also if it should leak, it is a lot more absorbent. I fill it about a third full with water which is just off the boil, and squeeze out most of the air before screwing the top shut. Then once in its cpver, it gets put into the middle of the bed while I get into my pjs, and gets pushed down to the bottom, beside my feet, when I get in. It stays warm all night - great if you need to get up in the middle of the night when the heating is off - and if I empty it first thing in the morning the water in it is still distinctly warm (but very rubbery so not much good for anything other than washing your hands after using the loo, really!)

Northumbrian Water. But, I would have thought such arrangements were pretty standard, in England if not Scotland, Wales.

In Scotland water charges are included with the Council Tax payments so are not billed separately as in England.

When I moved from England back to Scotland my Council Tax went up 4 bands, however my total costs for CT and water only increased by £180 a year due to water being significantly cheaper here.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In Scotland water charges are included with the Council Tax payments so are not billed separately as in England.

When I moved from England back to Scotland my Council Tax went up 4 bands, however my total costs for CT and water only increased by £180 a year due to water being significantly cheaper here.

It is indeed paid in the council tax but it is detailed in the bill so you do know how much for each item charged.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

In my area of England, I believe, Social Housing is treated in this way.

Top Bottom