The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I thought Shearer's comments about Southgate were pretty disrespectful.

Southgate is demonstrably the best England (mens) manager you've ever had, and he wants him out the door?

Behave Alan.

You managed Newcastle to relegation via an own goal off Damien Duff's buttcheeks.

I thought Shearer's comments about Southgate were pretty disrespectful.

Southgate is demonstrably the best England (mens) manager you've ever had, and he wants him out the door?

I didn't really pay much attention to the post-mortem stuff (I had trip-planning to do, much more interesting!), so I missed that. It does SOUND bang out-of-order.

One of the BBC pundits said they would understand if after two runners-up spots, Southgate called it a day - as he's done really well, and there's a VERY strong chance they will never do better than runners-up! I thought that was a sensible view.

Brandane

Legendary Member
but ... but ... Scotland beat them! So clearly THEY were the best team.

It's a good thing we didn't have to play Scotland to get to the final, but you can only play what's in front of you!

The Spain of March 2023 were a different team. Only Rodri remains in the starting line up from then to yesterday's Spanish team.

Anyway...... All this Scotland/England comparison is meaningless. We all know that England are a step up from Scotland (yes, really!) but they just aren't as good as your media, and a lot of your countrymen, seem to think they are.
The thing with Scotland is, "we're shyte, and we know we are". Just to reach the finals was a top achievement for us. Our expectations are realistic.
England, on the other hand, seem to think they are world beaters; when the truth is they were very lucky to get as far as they did. They were mediocre in the group stage (1 win, 2 draws, in the easiest group they could have hoped for), 1 minute from being put out in the last 16 v Slovakia; lucky in penalties v Switzerland; a decent result v Netherlands; outclassed by Spain. Now that it is over, all we will hear about is how they are going to win the world cup in 2026. They never learn.....

AndyRM

XOXO
The Spain of March 2023 were a different team. Only Rodri remains in the starting line up from then to yesterday's Spanish team.

Anyway...... All this Scotland/England comparison is meaningless. We all know that England are a step up from Scotland (yes, really!) but they just aren't as good as your media, and a lot of your countrymen, seem to think they are.
The thing with Scotland is, "we're shyte, and we know we are". Just to reach the finals was a top achievement for us. Our expectations are realistic.
England, on the other hand, seem to think they are world beaters; when the truth is they were very lucky to get as far as they did. They were mediocre in the group stage (1 win, 2 draws, in the easiest group they could have hoped for), 1 minute from being put out in the last 16 v Slovakia; lucky in penalties v Switzerland; a decent result v Netherlands; outclassed by Spain. Now that it is over, all we will hear about is how they are going to win the world cup in 2026. They never learn.....

This. So much this.

Although I'd say describing England as mediocre in the group stages is generous, and their penalty shootout was actually pretty awesome. Toney's was very, very cool.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Actually think this England squad is good but they have by far been off the boil for some time . A very poor tournament up until the semifinal and even then a bit lucky .

Spain have been thin class act all the time ! They are just exciting to watch .

AndyRM

XOXO
Courtesy of WSC:

Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 11.52.24.png

I'm English and I don't think we are at all

would beaters.
We had a few good moments here and there but mostly our football was as dull as dishwater and I do put a lot of the blame on Southgate.It is his tactics to play this defensive low block football and I'm sure someone else could get better out of these players.
I do think it's the media and some fans who hype it up and if I nether heard "It's coming home" again it would be a blessing in disguise.
The whole tournament overall was a disappointment except for Spain who were worthy winners with the way they play the beautiful game!

Slick

Guru
Wow, this has taken a weird turn to say the least. Why are we speaking about Scotland after a Euro final is surprising at best.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm English and I don't think we are at all

would beaters.
We had a few good moments here and there but mostly our football was as dull as dishwater and I do put a lot of the blame on Southgate.It is his tactics to play this defensive low block football and I'm sure someone else could get better out of these players.
I do think it's the media and some fans who hype it up and if I nether heard "It's coming home" again it would be a blessing in disguise.
The whole tournament overall was a disappointment except for Spain who were worthy winners with the way they play the beautiful game!

Genuine question: who?

Guardiola is probably the obvious choice.

Slick

Guru
For me, I enjoyed watching the game deep in enemy territory. Atmosphere was amazing in the pubs and the ride over to my hotel from the station was pretty cool as it was 1 big fan zone. I also thought it was a good contest, which is about as much as England could have hoped for as Spain have been awesome this whole tournament. Southgate will probably go now, which I think is a bit of a shame as I think he did OK despite the levels of unfair criticism and down right abuse he's faced.

Top Bottom