The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
A bit like the penalty then?

No, because that was right.

While I can see why people feel it was harsh, I genuinely cannot understand how anybody thinks it wasn't a penalty. If you go in for a tackle, studs first, and make contact with the man without touching the ball, that is a foul, regardless of what you intended to do.

AndyRM

XOXO
No, because that was right.

While I can see why people feel it was harsh, I genuinely cannot understand how anybody thinks it wasn't a penalty. If you go in for a tackle, studs first, and make contact with the man without touching the ball, that is a foul, regardless of what you intended to do.

Except he wasn't going in for a tackle and the only reason there was any contact was because Kane's leg continued its trajectory and caught Dumfries.

I could maybe understand if the ref had given a penalty and was then told to check it. But he wasn't. There wasn't much of an appeal from the players either which says a lot.

Whatever, it's done with and the general consensus seems to be that it wasn't a penalty. Roll on Sunday!

Alex321

Guru
Except he wasn't going in for a tackle and the only reason there was any contact was because Kane's leg continued its trajectory and caught Dumfries.

I could maybe understand if the ref had given a penalty and was then told to check it. But he wasn't. There wasn't much of an appeal from the players either which says a lot.

Whatever, it's done with and the general consensus seems to be that it wasn't a penalty. Roll on Sunday!

If he wasn't going for a tackle, then it should also have been a red card.

But he was actually attempting to get the ball, so he was going for a tackle.

And at least 99% of fouls "only occur because the fouled player continued in their trajectory".

IMG-20240711-WA0001.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the crucial point was he went studs up pointing towards Kane, which is deemed reckless and likely to endanger an opponent (papa phrasing rule something or other)

it would have been impossible for Kane, having kicked the ball, to immediately stop his foot and have no follow thru at all.

So yes a soft / fortunate penalty, but a penalty nevertheless.

AndyRM

XOXO
If he wasn't going for a tackle, then it should also have been a red card.

But he was actually attempting to get the ball, so he was going for a tackle.

And at least 99% of fouls "only occur because the fouled player continued in their trajectory".

... He was attempting to block the ball, which he was entirely within his rights to do. It wasn't a tackle.

A yellow card was harsh enough, sending him off would have been nuts.

Whatever though, it's done. Shame that it's become the talking point of the game really but that can't be helped I suppose.

Shame that it's become the talking point of the game really but that can't be helped I suppose.

Only because you can't help raking it over. And over. And over ... :biggrin: :biggrin:

To me, the main talking point is how Foden had a saved-by-the-woodwork attempt on goal that was almost identical to the Spanish Wunderkid*'s goal the night before. :notworthy:

(*I don't know the Spanish for Wonderkid, sorry.)

AndyRM

XOXO
Only because you can't help raking it over. And over. And over ... :biggrin: :biggrin:

To me, the main talking point is how Foden had a saved-by-the-woodwork attempt on goal that was almost identical to the Spanish Wunderkid*'s goal the night before. :notworthy:

It takes two to tango...

Chico maravillo is probably the closest literally. Prodigio works too.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

indeed and danced thru the defence like he was doing a flamenco :okay: only to be thwarted on the line.

I thought Watkins finish was sublime, beautifully weighted ball from Palmer to find his intelligence run and inch perfect placement on the shot.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

1720723880581.png

Top Bottom