The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

Virgil van Dijk calls for officials to be 'held accountable' for their decisions as he launches tirade on referee Felix Zwayer for showing in Netherlands' dramatic Euro 2024 defeat by England​

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...icials-accountable-referee-Felix-Zwayer-Engla

q=tbn:ANd9GcS-FI8_fWi2e8wnavvqbO-8Yo5XrYB8fw2glw&s.jpg
or what!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Anyone here not a Football fan ? I'll happily admit: i've actually semi-planned dog-walks and rides around previous 'Big Games' (England and otherwise) to take advantage of the quiet roads / streets etc......

Brandane

Legendary Member
Expect @Brandane to change his avatar to a chorizo sausage soon!:rolleyes:

View attachment 737097

More subtle avatar this time.....

I am worried now. You lot have been so lucky multiple times. Netherlands were poor. And that "penalty", if that is where they are going with football then I am done with it. NEVER in a million years was that a penalty. Soon defenders won't be allowed to challenge in the box. A sad night for football.
However, must admit that England raised their game (from a low base) and so they are in the final. At least it's only the Euros, the UEFA cup of international football. 😉

Mike_P

Guru
Seriously? Dumfries had every right to block that ball, and Kane kicked him on his follow through before going down like he'd been shot (to be fair, kicking the sole of a football boot is very painful).

I'd describe it as a coming together at a 50/50 situation. Never a penalty.

Made up for Frank Lampards disallowed goal in the 2010 World Cup.

Looks like Liverpool may have a problem. Darwin Nunez heading for a ban
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce78z0zg2ezo

AndyRM

XOXO
Made up for Frank Lampards disallowed goal in the 2010 World Cup.

Looks like Liverpool may have a problem. Darwin Nunez heading for a ban
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce78z0zg2ezo

I've seen a few comments similar to that. From a German perspective that was viewed as comeuppance for the 1966 final. I've also seen a foul mentioned, committed by Koeman in 1993 so this is some kind of karmic retribution, apparently.

Personally I think that's absolute nonsense.

I also read about the referee from last night, Felix Zwayer, who is shady as anything having been banned from refereeing for six months following a match fixing scandal in Germany. Why he was allowed back after that is beyond me, but it doesn't do much for how refs are perceived.

Alex321

Guru
More subtle avatar this time.....

I am worried now. You lot have been so lucky multiple times. Netherlands were poor. And that "penalty", if that is where they are going with football then I am done with it. NEVER in a million years was that a penalty. Soon defenders won't be allowed to challenge in the box. A sad night for football.
However, must admit that England raised their game (from a low base) and so they are in the final. At least it's only the Euros, the UEFA cup of international football. 😉

You'd better stop watching football then.

I didn't see it at the time, I go to the folk club on a Wednesday evening, but I've watched the replays, and it was absolutely a penalty.

He missed the ball, and made contact (with studs) with Kanes ankle/foot. That was always going to be given.

It may have been a genuine attempt to get the ball, but so are most fouls in professional football, they are just mistimed.

Top Bottom