The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What got me was how after the equaliser they seemed to play further forward and got the second. After that they seemed to back off the opponents in the Slovakian half to defend in their own half. Then there was one player running around like a loon holding the Slovakians back in midfield while tbh it looked like the rest of the England team were watching hime from just outside their own box!!. I am no football expert or even a fan TBH but in my ignorance I can not see any strategic benefit of defending near your goals. At one point they were passsing across the box right in front of goals with the slovakian players practically on them! I remember getting shouted at for that when 13 years old playing in the flooded school pitches in the dreich of Blackburn weather.

Sorry for my ignorance but if I can see there are issues with how they play then WTF is happening in the England setup that they aren't sorting it out?!!

BTW I left the room with 2 minutes of added time left. Then came backin 5 minutes to listen to thee pundits put the team straight in what they should have done. Only they were still playing and it was 1-1!! I sat and watched to see a spark of life in England. They were playing forward for a spell and I thought this is it! England have worked it out. Then the second and no! They haven't. You know getting a third should have been their target not defending a single goal lead. They have the talent to do it but is there really the will? Do teams get stacked full of serious club talent that they can't play together? Can a team be too good on paper with the players based on their club performance? IS this just an england team issue that other "big" nation teams never have?

At least the England players get to text any scottish club mates who are already on holiday or back home with a bit of banter. As bad as England seems they are still in Germany getting set for their next game in the Euros. It might be their last match but a few more than Scotland. That simple fact won't stop the scottish fans wearing swiss team shirts and criticising England team.

PS I was in Dumfries and Galloway shortly before the 2003 rugby world cup. The most worn rugby shirt was All Blacks. I asked some guys why. They said New Zealand were the only ones capable of beating England team so they were all supporting New Zealand!! That was the on duty firemen in a small town to the west in a locals pub we used to frequent when up there on a break. Whenever Scotland played another team than England I would be Scottish for the match! You would never see the scottish fans doing that for the English I reckon. Still the english teams in rugby WC and football internationals do tend to do better even when playing badly!!

At one point they were passsing across the box right in front of goals with the slovakian players practically on them! I remember getting shouted at for that when 13 years old playing in the flooded school pitches in the dreich of Blackburn weather.

Sorry for my ignorance but if I can see there are issues with how they play then WTF is happening in the England setup that they aren't sorting it out?!!

Thank you caller!

Now, here's Kevin from Chelmsford. What do you think Southgate should do, Kev?

Alex321

Guru
What got me was how after the equaliser they seemed to play further forward and got the second. After that they seemed to back off the opponents in the Slovakian half to defend in their own half.
There was less than 2 minutes of play time between the equaliser and the winner - not really time to seem to play further forward.

Then there was one player running around like a loon holding the Slovakians back in midfield while tbh it looked like the rest of the England team were watching hime from just outside their own box!!. I am no football expert or even a fan TBH but in my ignorance I can not see any strategic benefit of defending near your goals. At one point they were passsing across the box right in front of goals with the slovakian players practically on them! I remember getting shouted at for that when 13 years old playing in the flooded school pitches in the dreich of Blackburn weather.

Quite a lot of teams nowadays will play the ball out from defence in that manner, particularly when they are trying to defend a small lead.

BTW I left the room with 2 minutes of added time left. Then came backin 5 minutes to listen to thee pundits put the team straight in what they should have done. Only they were still playing and it was 1-1!! I sat and watched to see a spark of life in England. They were playing forward for a spell and I thought this is it! England have worked it out. Then the second and no! They haven't. You know getting a third should have been their target not defending a single goal lead. They have the talent to do it but is there really the will? Do teams get stacked full of serious club talent that they can't play together? Can a team be too good on paper with the players based on their club performance? IS this just an england team issue that other "big" nation teams never have?

While I was also wondering why they didn't carry on attacking, you have to admit it worked.

AndyRM

XOXO
What got me was how after the equaliser they seemed to play further forward and got the second. After that they seemed to back off the opponents in the Slovakian half to defend in their own half. Then there was one player running around like a loon holding the Slovakians back in midfield while tbh it looked like the rest of the England team were watching hime from just outside their own box!!. I am no football expert or even a fan TBH but in my ignorance I can not see any strategic benefit of defending near your goals. At one point they were passsing across the box right in front of goals with the slovakian players practically on them! I remember getting shouted at for that when 13 years old playing in the flooded school pitches in the dreich of Blackburn weather.

At least the England players get to text any scottish club mates who are already on holiday or back home with a bit of banter. As bad as England seems they are still in Germany getting set for their next game in the Euros. It might be their last match but a few more than Scotland. That simple fact won't stop the scottish fans wearing swiss team shirts and criticising England team.

PS I was in Dumfries and Galloway shortly before the 2003 rugby world cup. The most worn rugby shirt was All Blacks. I asked some guys why. They said New Zealand were the only ones capable of beating England team so they were all supporting New Zealand!! That was the on duty firemen in a small town to the west in a locals pub we used to frequent when up there on a break. Whenever Scotland played another team than England I would be Scottish for the match! You would never see the scottish fans doing that for the English I reckon. Still the english teams in rugby WC and football internationals do tend to do better even when playing badly!!

A lengthy post from a non-football fan!

Playing defensively isn't uncommon. Lots of teams do it. The difference is they set up to play quickly on the break which is a pretty effective tactic. When you've got your outlet (Kane) for that kind of approach sitting so deep you may as not be bothering playing a striker, it's no wonder people are a bit miffed about the tactics.

Equally when you've got Bellingham looking ordinary and a bit clueless, something's not right.

As for the banter thing, it goes both ways. At least we know we're pish and don't build up outlandish expectations of winning anything. I'd keep schtum about the rugby though. The Calcutta Cup has been nice and cosy at Murrayfield for 4 years now...

Slick

Guru
It wasn't great. Neither side quite clicking.

Ref a bit card happy again, not as bad as the England game yesterday but I can't see what either of the France ones were for.

Yeah, a couple of strange ones for sure.

I was hoping the knockouts would spice it up a bit, but if anything its worse.

Slick

Guru
Spain v Georgia was a belter.

Absolutely, I really enjoyed that one.

Top Bottom