The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Screenshot_2024-07-02-08-30-50-52_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6~2.jpg

Own Goals up to 9, equalling Platini's record at a Euros.

What a tournament the lad's having!

Talking of stats:
Another reason for the spike in cautions is less tolerance of dissent, with 19 yellow cards shown for this offence, up from 10 in 2021.

(that was just from the GROUP games! nineteen !!! )

AndyRM

XOXO
Talking of stats:
Another reason for the spike in cautions is less tolerance of dissent, with 19 yellow cards shown for this offence, up from 10 in 2021.

(that was just from the GROUP games! nineteen !!! )

It's because only the captain (unless the captain is the keeper in which case they can nominate an outfield player) is allowed to talk to/question the referee which I believe is the first time it's been tried.

Seems a bit harsh to be launching it at a major tournament when it hasn't been trialled in leagues yet.

AndyRM

XOXO
Yeah, fair point - but it's hardly a difficult rule to understand, is it?? Seems a good thing to me. About 20 years too late ...

I agree, but the players have been so used to surrounding the ref for so long that it's a hard habit to break I imagine. That and the daft throwaway comments made while walking away from an incident etc...

AndyRM

XOXO
To be fair a lot of the top teams have been pretty poor.
France Portugal and Italy have all been woeful too.

Not disputing that at all, Italy in particular.

Germany and Spain have looked the best of the main contenders by miles. It's a shame that one of them will be out, but luck of the draw and all that.

I only saw the later stages, but France+Belgium seemed to be properly going for it! It looked like only quality defending was keeping the chances (and goal) count so low.
Felt a bit sorry for Belgium, based on what I saw.

(On Germany: just based on the highlights of the Danish game, they're nothing special, and lucky to be through.
Did they play Scotland earlier? How did that turn out? )

Seevio

Guru
(On Germany: just based on the highlights of the Danish game, they're nothing special, and lucky to be through.
Germany did indeed play Scotland in the opening match. They were extremely fortunate, five times, but managed to eventually hold out for the win.

AndyRM

XOXO
I only saw the later stages, but France+Belgium seemed to be properly going for it! It looked like only quality defending was keeping the chances (and goal) count so low.
Felt a bit sorry for Belgium, based on what I saw.

They kind of had to be going for it by the end really. The first half was full of mistakes more than anything else. France just about deserved it in the end.

Wishful thinking, but after watching Slovinia against Portugal yesterday maybe England's draw with them wasn't as bad as it was seen at the time 😬

Remember a few tournaments back when we scoffed at some England player/manager for saying "There are no easy games in international football?"

Now Greece have been Euro champions, and Switzerland knock-out Italy.

If you ask me, we should never have expanded this thing beyond 8 teams ...

Top Bottom