The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
National museum of Ireland, so doubtful it will play another note. :sad:

Wouldn't count on it. Museums thrive on footfall and special events when exhibits are used are big draws.

FrothNinja

Veteran
True, but not usually ones they've just paid the thick end of a million euros for.

Dunno, some joint in the States did it with a Strad, can't remember the ticket prices but they were north of a $1000...mind you they threw in free drinks and nibbles.
Your probably right, suspect they will wait for the visitor numbers to drop before some super duper on trend guitarist does their twang for charidy

DRM

Guru
Dunno, some joint in the States did it with a Strad, can't remember the ticket prices but they were north of a $1000...mind you they threw in free drinks and nibbles.
Your probably right, suspect they will wait for the visitor numbers to drop before some super duper on trend guitarist does their twang for charidy

There just happens to be a Joe Bonamassa concert in Cork next year, a Rory Gallagher tribute concert, I wonder if it might just make a guest appearance

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A question for the bassists, and those who can't resist an innuendo...

My G-string sounds really bright and twangy compared to the other three strings, which all have a distinct thud.
I'm using flat wounds and the twang is there on both fretted and the open string.
Having nothing to compare it too... is it normal for a bass G to twang so brightly?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Try adjusting the pickup height only on the treble side slightly. Depending on the bass, it might change the tone as well as the volume. I'd start by lowering it a couple of mm.

MontyVeda

Try adjusting the pickup height only on the treble side slightly. Depending on the bass, it might change the tone as well as the volume. I'd start by lowering it a couple of mm.

it's twangy both acoustically and through the pick-up.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Are they brand new strings? They can be annoyingly bright until they've acquired a bit of finger grease, although flats aren't as bad for this as roundwounds.

MontyVeda

Are they brand new strings? They can be annoyingly bright until they've acquired a bit of finger grease, although flats aren't as bad for this as roundwounds.

been on since i built it, so eighteen months.

Like I say, it's just the one string that seems incredibly bright and twangy. It can't be the saddle as those are the same for all strings, or the nut since it's the same when fretted.

Top Bottom