The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've got a Seiko tuner I bought 2nd hand nearly 30yrs ago when I got my Squier Telecaster, seldom need to use it these days with my Fender as that holds its tune fantastically but then I don't take it out 'gigging' so it stays in a pretty stable environment
You need to watch any change in temperature as it will affect the neck. I used to keep it in a room where we sometimes use the AC and it would play havoc.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You need to watch any change in temperature as it will affect the neck. I used to keep it in a room where we sometimes use the AC and it would play havoc.

Yep as I said it lives in a stable environment, one other anomally in my 20+ years of owning it I've yet to break a string, OK I don't go for crazy 'bends' when playing being more of a 'chugger' and change strings quite often but I run 9-42 (D'addario XL) and use 'fast fret' before and after playing along with pencil lead (graphite) on the nut when I fit a new set.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
IMO the RP series are great multiFX units. I gigged regularly with a RP1 and then a RP2000 which is still about but has been relegated since I took the plunge on a Valeton GP-200.

can't speak for any other models but I've got an RP80 and it's absolute sh!te... 40 preset effects and not a single good one amongst them and setting your own effects is such a pain in the arse it's not worth bothering. It lives in my charity shop box.

SuffolkBlue

can't speak for any other models but I've got an RP80 and it's absolute sh!te... 40 preset effects and not a single good one amongst them and setting your own effects is such a pain in the arse it's not worth bothering. It lives in my charity shop box.

Oh - I forgot about those (and the RP50) !!!

RP1 was built like a tank. I've seen it described as "the Helix" of its day. However, as you describe, you really had to put some effort in to programming them to get the most out of it (same with the RP2000). Not something you could do "on the fly"!

The Valeton is excellent and I can be dialled into a sound literally in seconds. Which is why the RP2000 is now at the same status as your RP80 but it served me well for a number of years.

Works a treat!
20240712_205309.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I really like the Pacifica. Real nice planks for the cash.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Buy one of the very nice HB tele's and do a relic job.

Get a real American Tele, it'll always hold it's value. Don't be tempted by the MiM either, I tried a couple and found them very 'thin' sounding before I bought my 'shop soiled' California built one which needed attention. Luckily I'm friends with one of the best Luthiers in the country and he repaired it (4 loose frets) and set it up professionally (all the shop had done was raise the action so it didn't buzz)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Buy one of the very nice HB tele's and do a relic job.
There's a plethora of budget brands now that are very good and channels on youtube reviewing them. One such is Shawn on 'Scar my guitar'. He's American but nonetheless quite amusing and informative. He takes them apart so you can see what you're getting. If you haven't discovered him yet:

View: https://youtu.be/Cz8bp7iITcs?si=kW4BgwQwUPzXzkj6

Top Bottom