The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Get a real American Tele, it'll always hold it's value. Don't be tempted by the MiM either, I tried a couple and found them very 'thin' sounding before I bought my 'shop soiled' California built one which needed attention. Luckily I'm friends with one of the best Luthiers in the country and he repaired it (4 loose frets) and set it up professionally (all the shop had done was raise the action so it didn't buzz)

I've MIM and MIA basses. The factories are 60 miles apart and use identical tooling. 60% of the US staff actually live in Mexico, and staff flit between the two sites on overtime. My US Ultra Precision was built by "Pablo".

The only substantive different is MIA models tend to occupy the higher end of the range so are liable to be equipped with more expensive hardware and the like, but the QC difference is nil.

And its variable anyway. My Gedry Lee is MIM but I test drove all three that they had in the store and chose the one that felt and sounded nicest (to my ear.) All from the same factory, but they were all different, as anything with a large degree of hand finishing, or hand applied machine finishing, will be.

Choose by the individual instrument, not the factory.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's a plethora of budget brands now that are very good and channels on youtube reviewing them. One such is Shawn on 'Scar my guitar'. He's American but nonetheless quite amusing and informative. He takes them apart so you can see what you're getting. If you haven't discovered him yet:

View: https://youtu.be/Cz8bp7iITcs?si=kW4BgwQwUPzXzkj6

I'd go with what he concluded although the neck could be a fake too with that dark stain to give the appearance of 'Toasted Maple', not sure if Fender ever did that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure you're right @Drago but what amazes me is the quality now of cheap budget guitars and basses.
I bought a used P bass here which was sold on Amazon for around $100. After a bit of fettling of the neck and fret ends it plays great with a nice low action. I bought some Gotoh tuners for it but I haven't changed them as the originals hold tune so well. I then put a EMG active pickup (cost more than the bass) in and now it sounds amazing.

PXL_20210310_085919037.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye laddie, we never had it so good. When I were a teenager £250 bought a barely playable plank of probably laminate crap. Now it gets a tidy looking, eminently playa electric, decent sounding HB.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
When I was 21, a USA Strat was only £700. MIJ Strats were the sweet spot and still are, but hard to get as they weren't officially imported.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I was 21, a USA Strat was only £700. MIJ Strats were the sweet spot and still are, but hard to get as they weren't officially imported.

Yep my Japanese Squier Telecaster was a beauty, it was a 'vintage reissue' Toploader

DRM

Guru
The MIM Player series Strats now seem to have been reduced to clear to around £500 to £600, now that the Player 2 Series has been released, which is not that bad considering that even the latest Player 2 models are still firmly in Epiphone territory price wise,
And as the old joke says, what’s the difference between a MIM Fender & an MIA Fender, …….about 70 miles!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Need a bit of help on this Seagull guitar I'm thinking of buying which is advertised locally .
Looks in good condition and comes with a nice bag. The problem is I researched it a bit and it seems there's a problem with method of set neck Godin used post 2006. This is a 2007 model S6.
The S6 goes on eBay etc for around £350. This one the guy wants £100 for so would seem a bit of a bargain.
Heres a luthier explain the problem:

View: https://youtu.be/rQpqFNVffPM?si=8xaNicbzmb4Ikr9q

So what do you think? Take a chance on it being okay and drop the price to £75? Or forget it?

Screenshot_20240717-101122.png

Screenshot_20240717-101051.png

SuffolkBlue

Need a bit of help on this Seagull guitar I'm thinking of buying which is advertised locally .
Looks in good condition and comes with a nice bag. The problem is I researched it a bit and it seems there's a problem with method of set neck Godin used post 2006. This is a 2007 model S6.
The S6 goes on eBay etc for around £350. This one the guy wants £100 for so would seem a bit of a bargain.
Heres a luthier explain the problem:

View: https://youtu.be/rQpqFNVffPM?si=8xaNicbzmb4Ikr9q

So what do you think? Take a chance on it being okay and drop the price to £75? Or forget it?

View attachment 737905

View attachment 737906

Looks nice.

The video was interesting but he does say "This isn't a problem until the guitar needs a neck reset which all guitars will eventually need, be it 10, 20 or 30 years". Any chance of going and taking a look if it's local? If it needs a neck reset then you can politely walk away?

Top Bottom