The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
You've definitely given me workspace envy. Nice collection of instruments too.

That's "my" room. The bed is there because if Mrs D has a couple of sleepless nights with MS symptoms I can sleep there and get some undisturbed slumber. If I can't function I cant look after her. In reality it only gets slept on 1 or 2 nights a year.

It has a great view out through window across the field and the country park.

I have a practice amp in the living room and Alexa with Amazon music through my WiFi so I can practice there if I'm home alone. If not I practice in my man cave.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Rory Gallagher's Strat is up for auction together with a load of other stuff:

View: https://youtu.be/DqiuORzYna0?si=lB8rnYEKIoE1oKTP

Interesting story behind this guitar which Rory bought for £100 in Ireland . Thought to be the first Strat in Ireland.

DRM

Guru

Interesting story behind this guitar which Rory bought for £100 in Ireland . Thought to be the first Strat in Ireland.

Watched that earlier on you tube, it really has been played to within an inch of it's life, iirc there should be a spare neck with it, as Rory would sweat so much on stage it had to have necks swapped, to give the soggy one chance to dry out!
In other news, I've treated myself to a Boss TU10 clip on tuner, it's astounding the difference in what the cheap Gear 4 Music tuner thought was in tune, and what the Boss says is in tune, a decent bit of kit.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Wouldn't be surprised if that topped the price of other 'iconic' guitars like Claptons 'Blackie', Greenies 'Les Paul and Gilmours 'Black Strat' amongst others. I just hope it gets played and not just stuck in a collection/museum as was the fate of the Greeny/Gary Moore Les Paul until Kirk Hamett bought it (for an undisclosed sum) and took it out 'gigging' again.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In other news, I've treated myself to a Boss TU10 clip on tuner, it's astounding the difference in what the cheap Gear 4 Music tuner thought was in tune, and what the Boss says is in tune, a decent bit of kit.

I find my very cheap (£3.50p) clip on tuners are every bit as accurate as my more costly (£30ish) one. The technology is so basic I reckon it's harder to make an inaccurate tuner than an accurate one. The cheapos aren't as responsive as the Unitune but that could be down to them needing a new battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I have a boss tuner pedal and don't like it. At home I plug into the Tascam GB10 and tune with that.

We are spoiled though. As a kid I remember using a tuning fork to tune E and then working the rest from there.

MontyVeda

I didn't have a tuner of any sort for years. I used the Louie Louie method; an easy iconic riff on the fat E string... if that riff sounded about right it'd be near enough, then tune the rest of the strings to that. When i did eventually buy an electronic tuner (because I thought i needed one), i was quite surprised at how accurate the Louie Louie method was.

delb0y

Legendary Member
My favourite is my Petersen strobe clip-on. I used to use SNARKs but the latest models are very inaccurate. I still have a couple, but when I need another (the plastic clip eventually breaks) it'll be another Petersen.

Picked this up for £20! Found my Park amp in the loft so i'm up and away with the Pacifica and Tanglewood. 🎸 🎸
20240712_152423.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got a Seiko tuner I bought 2nd hand nearly 30yrs ago when I got my Squier Telecaster, seldom need to use it these days with my Fender as that holds its tune fantastically but then I don't take it out 'gigging' so it stays in a pretty stable environment

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I didn't have a tuner of any sort for years. I used the Louie Louie method; an easy iconic riff on the fat E string... if that riff sounded about right it'd be near enough, then tune the rest of the strings to that. When i did eventually buy an electronic tuner (because I thought i needed one), i was quite surprised at how accurate the Louie Louie method was.
Is that anything to do with the The Kingsmens '63 hit? My favourite song of the sixties.

MontyVeda

My favourite is my Petersen strobe clip-on. ...

My Unitune has a strobe setting, apparently with ±2hz accuracy, but no matter how slightly i turn the tuners, i can never get the strobe to stand still. The standard chromatic setting is ±3hz accuracy and many others i looked at had ±5 or 10hz. I needed the high accuracy for setting up the bass I'd built and figured my very cheap (£3.50) tuner would be in the ±10hz range and the set up I'd done with that wouldn't be very good... but checking it with the Unitune it was pretty much bob on. Some weeks later i found one of the tech sheets from the cheap tuners and it claimed ±3hz accuracy, the same as the Unitune costing £30ish.

Just checked on ebay and the Unitune is now £61 :eek: ...almost double what i paid just over a year ago!

Top Bottom