The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Clearly I'm totally out of my depth here.

Domus

Guru
Lovely day in Sunny Grange. Warm sunshine and light winds.
new coffee shop in Milnthorpe may well become a favourite.
lots of bikes about, several groups from Kendal Cycling Club not forgetting the couple in Levens with ā€˜His and Herā€™sā€ matching Pinarello Dogmas. Very nice. šŸ‘
73 Kms and 800 metres of upnes. Then watched stage 20. šŸ˜±

Domus

Guru
Another Sunny day in Grange but with a cold wind from the north. Another visit to the cafƩ in Milnthorpe but found another quiet lane to the Crooklands road. Fortunately for me I was going away from the show ground whilst the 6Kms of standing traffic was attempting to get into the Westmorland show. Back to Sunny Grange by the usual route and another point for 54 Kms. This may have been my last ride in shorts this year. Was a bit nippy.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Having had an absolute demon August with snaffling points as a consequence of my tour of Suffolk I invented for myself, I promptly went down with a cold and, a few days later, strained my lower back. Today is the first day when I believe I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and (rather than the three qualifying rides per week I had thought about doing), I hope I should be able to get ONE in for September. Please wish me luck, folks! :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Having had an absolute demon August with snaffling points as a consequence of my tour of Suffolk I invented for myself, I promptly went down with a cold and, a few days later, strained my lower back. Today is the first day when I believe I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and (rather than the three qualifying rides per week I had thought about doing), I hope I should be able to get ONE in for September. Please wish me luck, folks! :okay:
Good luck , at least there's plenty of time

bluenotebob

Veteran
Following what could best be described as a ā€˜farming accidentā€™, my whole village was denied internet access for nearly a month. We finally got re-connected on Wednesday so Iā€™ve had a lot of catching up to do since then.

Iā€™m now up-to-date with this challenge and have done my qualifying ride for September. Iā€™ve posted lots of multi-bike rides for August ā€“ Iā€™m really not sure that I want to keep posting these in detail. They arenā€™t qualifying rides and Iā€™ve really only posted them to explain/reconcile my points tally. As this is just for me maybe, from now on, Iā€™ll just provide a basic summary of these rides. Anyone got any views on this?

Iā€™m very much in two minds as to whether Iā€™ll stay in this Challenge in 2025. I would prefer to concentrate on longer rides .. I find it frustrating to stop at 50km and I much prefer to do rides over 80km ā€“ for the Lunacy Distance challenge and to improve my Eddington numbers (Imperial and Metric). I really donā€™t know how @13 rider manages to stay on top of three distance challenges ā€“ thatā€™s very impressive.

Anyway, Iā€™ll finish this year off and see how I feel in January.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well, I don't know if I'm going to pay a high price for today, but at least September is in the bag.
At the beginning of the month I pulled/strained my lower back and have been taking it easy for the last fortnight. I went for an experimental 20 miler on Wednesday and it didn't feel too bad and so decided to try and beat the rain, today. I felt alright whilst moving, but when I got home and thought about punching the air at getting another point I thought 'Ah, bugger.' I'm now sitting here with a couple of paracetamols inside me and, hopefully, that'll be that: a warning not to push my body too hard.
Still, a wonderful day to be out on a bike, if a tad windy.

Top Bottom