The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We made it! 58 flipping hard miles from Beasain to Bilbao. Rain. Mountains. More rain! Knackered but delighted to be at our journey’s end (apart from the 12 miles to the ferry!) Ready to explore Bilbao tomorrow!

4000e67d-c20f-48fc-8274-2955f1cfd3e0.jpeg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
We made it! 58 flipping hard miles from Beasain to Bilbao. Rain. Mountains. More rain! Knackered but delighted to be at our journey’s end (apart from the 12 miles to the ferry!) Ready to explore Bilbao tomorrow!

View attachment 741714
Even I will let the lack of an extra point missed by 4 miles go , You've certainly racked up the points tally on this trip even if you've left a few on the road 😁
Glad you've had a good trip

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@Jon George ,you could have kept the information to yourself and my ignorance would have been bliss . I'm off now to Strava stalk you 🥷so I now what your up to ,please accept any random following requests you receive 😁.
The discipline in this challenge this year is a real let down all those missed point come on people

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Early monthly update for August to give the none declared riders possible use of the bank holiday as there's only 1 eligible day next weekend . We have 21 riders fully posted up leaving 5 riders with rides posted up to July yet to post , so a nudge for @ColinJ ,@Eribiste ,@slow scot ,@Chap sur le velo and @gbs
Well done everyone if you've made it this far your 2/3 off the way there
Also I'm expected bonus rides from @Cathryn ( metric century ) and @Jon George for leaving points on the road when they were just up the road 😁

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... a nudge for @ColinJ
I, er... Oops - I had actually forgotten to do my 50 this month! :wacko:

I did do a 100 km ride but I keep those for the Lunacy challenge.

The weather is looking bad tomorrow and I am busy from Thursday to the end of the month so it will have to be on Mon, Tue or Wed. Should not be a problem since the forecast is okay.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Just about to post a 55 miler in the challenge ,before I get called out for not completing a metric century . This ride is below my 10% of another point rule 😀. Good job I hadn't got to 55.8 because then I would have had to past home go downhill then back up just to get that extra point to prevent being trolled in my own thread 🤣

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
@Jon George for leaving points on the road when they were just up the road 😁
I believe I can redeem myself with todays' ride. I did nearly forty miles on Stage 10 of my tour around the border of Suffolk and I have decided that that is about the limit I can do on a Brompton. I'm sure people may have trekked around the world on them, but, boy, am I worn out.

ColinJ

Just about to post a 55 miler in the challenge ,before I get called out for not completing a metric century . This ride is below my 10% of another point rule 😀. Good job I hadn't got to 55.8 because then I would have had to past home go downhill then back up just to get that extra point to prevent being trolled in my own thread 🤣
It is an interesting point...

I don't do many rides around 40 km now. I would usually make the effort and extend them to 50. If I can't be bothered to do that I often end up shortening the rides to say 25-35 km!

Similarly, for rides around 80 km. Any more than that and I would try to stretch to 100 km. A bit less and I would probably shorten a ride to 50-ish, saving my legs for another 50 or even a 100 later in the week.

I don't do many rides longer than 100 km these days. If I did, 130-plus km would probably gets stretched to 161 km (imperial century). Anything significantly over 161 would remind me that I used to ride quite a lot of 200s, and maybe it was time to do another one?

I suspect that I might never ride 300 km, especially because I would then feel obliged to actually ride 322 km to get a double imperial century in! :laugh:

ColinJ

Well, I went out and did my '50' this evening. I left it a bit late so I was out after sunset, which is very unusual these days...

Q: When did councils switch off 80% of the street lamps?

I was surprised to find long stretches of unlit A-road between the local towns and villages. My lights are 'be seen by' rather than 'see by' so it was a bit difficult to spot the potholes!

I realised summat at The Summit at the summit at Summit... :whistle:

Top Bottom