Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
yep.. across the ocean has a lot to blame for..

Leg? still tender, a cough, a cold, a sore throat. And who knows what else,
I'm doing penance for something I've done....

last big count of hams in the UK was 79,000 but over 1,500 of that were club calls, special calls etc..
I now have to update my details every five years so maybe a more precise amount kicking about, RSGB, the main body has 22,000 plus members but a limited market and prices reflect that, it's all these feckin taxes like VAT which was created to pay for our membership of the Common Market (?)..
anyhoo....
A fair bit. Maybe we should go and invade them again.

Sounds as though you've been misbehaving. That or you've upset someone. You'll see it right, don't worry what's the worst that can happen.

Similar number in the mid nineties. So not much change really, I'd have thought interest would be waning with other means being available.
Try and organise a bulk buy for around 10% of the UK total, see what discount they'll give.
I think they should rename VAT, there's very little value in, much less added, in some items these days.
Reliving 72 again?

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Owdo
Wots tha grumpy abaht?

Owdo
Wots tha grumpy abaht?

I got all the coughy, sneezy lurgies:cuppa:
I got all the coughy, sneezy lurgies:laugh:

A fair bit. Maybe we should go and invade them again.

Sounds as though you've been misbehaving. That or you've upset someone. You'll see it right, don't worry what's the worst that can happen.

Similar number in the mid nineties. So not much change really, I'd have thought interest would be waning with other means being available.
Try and organise a bulk buy for around 10% of the UK total, see what discount they'll give.
I think they should rename VAT, there's very little value in, much less added, in some items these days.
Reliving 72 again?

When I first got licence circa 1988..
I spent just over four figures for a radio and a power supply..
today's equivalent wouldn't be much more expensive I guess 25% more for the equivalent.
Radios have advanced though but it doesn't matter how much you pony up for a transmitter..
the antenna in the end is how well it works.
For listening etc, SDR (software defined radio) is fun....and mucho mucho cheaper.
The unit I have can work from 1 khz to 2 Ghz....

classic33

Leg End Member
I got all the coughy, sneezy lurgies:cuppa:
I got all the coughy, sneezy lurgies:laugh:

When I first got licence circa 1988..
I spent just over four figures for a radio and a power supply..
today's equivalent wouldn't be much more expensive I guess 25% more for the equivalent.
Radios have advanced though but it doesn't matter how much you pony up for a transmitter..
the antenna in the end is how well it works.
For listening etc, SDR (software defined radio) is fun....and mucho mucho cheaper.
The unit I have can work from 1 khz to 2 Ghz....
And it's affecting yer memory.
All the lurgies! you'll be housebound now. Good excuse to do as little as possible.

You've been doing this radio malarky a few years now then. Ever build yer own parts or repair items being disposed of?
They've got smaller, and more expensive for someone thinking about taking it up as a hobby.
There's what used to be the milkman's house, with a 30 foot ariel/antenna still in the trough. Hidden away out of sight. Might just ask the people in there now if I can have it back.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
And it's affecting yer memory.
All the lurgies! you'll be housebound now. Good excuse to do as little as possible.

You've been doing this radio malarky a few years now then. Ever build yer own parts or repair items being disposed of?
They've got smaller, and more expensive for someone thinking about taking it up as a hobby.
There's what used to be the milkman's house, with a 30 foot ariel/antenna still in the trough. Hidden away out of sight. Might just ask the people in there now if I can have it back.

Built a few kits over the years....
all my listening is done with a SDRplay unit....
using one of these HERE and I even RX stuff on marine band, directional but optimal at E and W.....

There has been instant buy stations available for a long, long time....
what I paid for my radio in 1988, the equivalent today is £2,800....a fair difference to todays prices, that radio range today is between 1,100 and 1,300....
The hobby is what you make it, above covers from HF to lower VHF, VHF/UHF is an extra cost again.
Off to watch some drama and palaver, Serie A

classic33

Leg End Member
Built a few kits over the years....
all my listening is done with a SDRplay unit....
using one of these HERE and I even RX stuff on marine band, directional but optimal at E and W.....

There has been instant buy stations available for a long, long time....
what I paid for my radio in 1988, the equivalent today is £2,800....a fair difference to todays prices, that radio range today is between 1,100 and 1,300....
The hobby is what you make it, above covers from HF to lower VHF, VHF/UHF is an extra cost again.
Off to watch some drama and palaver, Serie A
Nothing against getting yer hands dirty then. If you're saving money into the bargain.
The same as nearly every hobby.
The limit, east to west, due to local terrain.

What's the drama, nothing too strenuous given your current conditions.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Jeez, late again...
I'd forget this is Wednesday if it wasn't Tuesday:hello:

Nothing against getting yer hands dirty then. If you're saving money into the bargain.
The same as nearly every hobby.
The limit, east to west, due to local terrain.

What's the drama, nothing too strenuous given your current conditions.

Italian football, the home of dramatic hand gestures and innocent looks.
Occasionally football breaks out:laugh:

My last kit, a recent Chinese FM radio kit...
I'd problems with the main chip as it had to direct to the PCB, sadly along, long lay off and a heavy hand lifted a couple of tracks and it was 14 quids wasted, much easier if done the old way. I was pleased with the quailty of the rest of my soldering which was neat and tidy, just the main chip wasn't in place and no, I dunno what to do to fix this....oh well.
not exactly my last, these LoRa boards I had I had to solder a small LCD screen into place....

classic33

Leg End Member
Jeez, late again...
I'd forget this is Wednesday if it wasn't Tuesday:hello:

Italian football, the home of dramatic hand gestures and innocent looks.
Occasionally football breaks out:laugh:

My last kit, a recent Chinese FM radio kit...
I'd problems with the main chip as it had to direct to the PCB, sadly along, long lay off and a heavy hand lifted a couple of tracks and it was 14 quids wasted, much easier if done the old way. I was pleased with the quailty of the rest of my soldering which was neat and tidy, just the main chip wasn't in place and no, I dunno what to do to fix this....oh well.
not exactly my last, these LoRa boards I had I had to solder a small LCD screen into place....
Getting into fashion then.
Thursday tomorrow....

Is that the one where they fall over a bit more often, and if they get a goal then they run around the pitch for half an hour?
Never!
What about one of those holders that you solder in place, thereby avoiding any damage.
Get another?
Don't let the one beat you. You're bigger than it.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Getting into fashion then.
Thursday tomorrow....

Is that the one where they fall over a bit more often, and if they get a goal then they run around the pitch for half an hour?
Never!
What about one of those holders that you solder in place, thereby avoiding any damage.
Get another?
Don't let the one beat you. You're bigger than it.

I have my original Helping Hands but have a much posher one now..
these old thumble thumb hands are not soldering todays components well..
Wait until the pound is more stable before perusing what china has to offer..

classic33

Leg End Member
I have my original Helping Hands but have a much posher one now..
these old thumble thumb hands are not soldering todays components well..
Wait until the pound is more stable before perusing what china has to offer..
Bulk buy, and sell the rest to get yer money back. There is a discount for more than say ten at the same time?
I find my soldering iron does better than my thumb. What about a lower melting point solder though.
You may be waiting a while, listening to some folk.

Bobby Mhor

Guru
Bulk buy, and sell the rest to get yer money back. There is a discount for more than say ten at the same time?
I find my soldering iron does better than my thumb. What about a lower melting point solder though.
You may be waiting a while, listening to some folk.

More like this 'newish' lead free solder....useless.
I'll have a butchers tomorrow...

Top Bottom