Tea? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Further proof you are just plain bonkers Phil.

Snow, who goes out in snow ,did you not see the NO in the middle of the word ???

Erm :whistle:

snow_edit2_zps1ae4c840.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thankyou Colin. ^_^ Yes, I found that website for the sunset and sunrise times, but it does not say how long it takes to get dark.
You can add extra columns to the calculator for twilight rise/set.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Various terms:

Astronomical Twilight Starts/Ends

Astronomical twilight is the period when the center of the Sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon. It starts at astronomical dawn, early in the morning when the Sun is higher than 18 degrees below the horizon. From this point, it will be difficult to observe certain faint stars, galaxies, and other objects because the Sun starts to illuminate the sky. Astronomical twilight ends at astronomical dusk in the late evening, when those faint objects again can be visible because the Sun is lower than 18 degrees below the horizon. In locations north of 48°24' N or south of 48°24', it never gets darker than this near the middle of the summer solstice (June or December).

Technically, the start and end times are when the true geocentric position of the Sun is 108 degrees from the zenith position, or directly above the observer.
Astronomical twilight is the period when the center of the Sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon.

Nautical Twilight Starts/Ends

Nautical twilight is the period when the center of the Sun is between 6 and 12 degrees below the horizon, when bright stars are still visible in clear weather and the horizon is becoming visible. It is too dark to do outdoor activities without additional lighting.

Nautical twilight starts at nautical dawn, at 12 degrees below the horizon, and nautical twilight ends at nautical dusk, when the Sun is lower than 12 degrees below the horizon. For locations north of 54°34' N or south of 54°34' S latitude, the Sun will never be lower than 12 degrees below the horizon for a period in the summer.

Technically, the start and end times are when the true geocentric position of the Sun is 102 degrees from the zenith position.

Civil Twilight Starts/Ends

Civil twilight is the period when the Sun is below the horizon but its center is less than 6 degrees below. The "Civil Twilight Starts" time is the dawn or civil dawn, with the center of the Sun at exactly 6 degrees below the horizon. Equally, the "Civil Twilight Ends" time is dusk or civil dusk, when the Sun is 6 degrees below the horizon in the evening.

During civil twilight, the sky is still illuminated, and with clear weather it is brightest in the direction of the Sun. The Moon and the brightest stars and planets may be visible. It is usually bright enough for outdoor activities without additional lighting.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
There are some well-travelled people on this thread, so may I ask a question about Kenya? How long does it take between it starting to get dark, at dusk, and being really dark? I spent six weeks in Mauritius some time ago, and remember it being a very short interval between being sunny and warm on the beach, and then dark.

Kenya is on the Equator, whereas Mauritius is 23 degrees south of the Equator. So if sunset is at 6.30pm, when does it get dark?

Sri Lanka is the quickest I have seen. Not sure the exact coordinates though. You could literally stand there with your cocktail and watch it go down and I am not a slow supper ( neither am I a lush,I don't think so anyway)

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I learn so much on CC between @ColinJ and @classic33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom