Tea? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Did she make it top the top? That's brilliant - say well done from me :smile:

She's absolutely over the moon about it, so many highs. Yes she got her medal with 'Pole Pole' (swahili) which means 'the slow walk' writen on it. Now she's sorting out hundreds of photos that she took to make an album.

And well done to @Hill Wimp for doing it years ago as well :thumbsup:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Dont worry about stopping or even walking just get to the top and keep on doing it that is the only way to improve there are no shortcuts unfortunately :thumbsup:

Me and @potsy and @ColinJ have done the Spring into the Dales Audax a few times and that is a proper hilly one. I remember meeting @tubbycyclist on one of those rides, then I met him again on one of @ColinJ rides last year and he was about half the size and fast, I rode to the cafe with him and he was very fast on the hills. He has just done the LEL which is quite amazing considering only 2 years has past it shows what you can do.

In 5 months i have been converted from my Hybrid bikes to my road bike i upped my mileage from 15 -65 comfortably, climbed some hills that had defeated me for years, though i do think that was down to my pro bike fit and managed to cope with cleats. Not bad. However i now have a total addiction to my bike so i know i will get there eventually. So far nothing has put me off totally, i just go away for a few days and ride elsewhere then return with new tactics and determination. I always get further than i did before.

I joined a new cycle club today which will ensure i get out this winter and who do training for all sorts of rides and i will achieve my metric 100 by the end of the year.
Next year it will be the real deal 100 miles.

Hill Wimp

No problems with altitude sickness? My younger son, who did it last summer, said he struggled with nausea and headaches and several of his party had to go down before getting to the top.

One of my friends had to be taken down and never made it back up. You never know when it will strike and there is nothing you can do to stop it happening beforehand.
The experience is amazing though however much you manage.

Mount Kenya is a good one too.

Julia9054

Guru
OK I decided to ride to the Sportive & it was :cold: then I registered then cycled over to a friends house who lives on Otley Chevin and had a cup of coffee then at 9:30 ish set off on the Sportive.

It was very very hilly more than I had thought I did it in 5:45:32 moving time and there was about 6000 ft of climbing, the route was just one massive hill after another, at one point I did think of bailing when I was faced with the massive hill at Norwood Edge and my rib was very painful but I took some pain killers and had a rest then continued. The day brightened up and I ended up in my SS Jersey and I managed a top speed of 39.5mph though coming down Otley Chevin there was road works so I ended up with the brakes full on most of the time.

Then I cycled home and managed a total of 101 miles for the day.

I must say I am liking actually getting back while there is still food left at the end :mrpig:

Hats off to you sir!
I did the medium one - a normal distance for a weekend ride for me - but OMG those hills (4000 ft of climbing) Currently on the sofa feeling like my legs have been run over by a truck!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hats off to you sir!
I did the medium one - a normal distance for a weekend ride for me - but OMG those hills (4000 ft of climbing) Currently on the sofa feeling like my legs have been run over by a truck!

Yes luke of Otley Sportive needs a talking to I think :ninja:

Hill Wimp

Hats off to you sir!

Well done to you too @Julia9054 that was no mean feat. You should team up with Phil, he likes those hills:crazy:

GM

Legendary Member
No problems with altitude sickness? My younger son, who did it last summer, said he struggled with nausea and headaches and several of his party had to go down before getting to the top.

Yeah there were a couple in her group that suffered with altitude sickness, she had headaches from the 3rd day and said there were people in different groups that were coming down by 'Kili Taxi' a stretcher in a wheelbarrow.
She's now trying to talk us into having a family holiday next year in Peru, so we can do 'Machu Picchu'. Ouch' my credit card looks like taking another bashing.

Hill Wimp

Yeah there were a couple in her group that suffered with altitude sickness, she had headaches from the 3rd day and said there were people in different groups that were coming down by 'Kili Taxi' a stretcher in a wheelbarrow.
She's now trying to talk us into having a family holiday next year in Peru, so we can do 'Machu Picchu'. Ouch' my credit card looks like taking another bashing.

:laugh: not done that as not keen on ruins but a lot of friends have and they said it was great. Go on you know you want to :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom