Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
You had the tail wind then. 43 mins for me, fastest is 41.

Missed the slight rain shower, and the offending bushes (that I was trimming last week) have actually been cut right back and cleared. First time in two years.

Mostly just a clear run of lights. Today was 2min slower just from catching a couple of reds

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
I wasn't working today, but I had the work van at home after Wednesday's delivery run so I took it back in intending to extend my commute home. 50km on quiet Forest of Dean roads and lanes on my elderly Mercian in a whisker under two hours, marred only by being hit at around 25mph (quite hard!) in the corner of the mouth by what I assume was a bee! I don't think it got a sting in, but it didn't half hurt.

Lol, well that's 12secs of their life the driver of the blacked out 4x4 won't get back. Despite them going a ridiculous speed to catch me as I had a strong tailwind they failed to so before Drake Avenue where they are forced to slow down in a 20mph zone by infrastructure that was well built about 12 years ago. The road bends tightly and is narrow and stays narrow through the 20mph zone. I'd usually dash through there at 20mph. That wasn't fast enough for the blacked out 4x4 so they honked me all the way and each time I relaxed a little more, so I've ended up going through there at 16.4mph. The first opportunity where it widens to two lanes for a tiny bit I let them drive through on the wrong side of the road. Double lol, there was a taxi driver right behind them and they waited for a proper overtaking opportunity and gave me the most room I've had in a while. Triple lol, surprise, surprise we all meet up at the traffic lights half a mile down the road. I stayed back behind the taxi but I must admit I was tempted to re-overtake 😂
View attachment 740326

View attachment 740327

View attachment 740328

View attachment 740329

Lol contrast that to tonight. The following driver never tried to overtake up the long drag to Drake Ave (the opposite side is actually called Cook Avenue) into a head wind or got close at the start to Cook Avenue so I gave it a bit of an effort and set my 2nd fastest time through it.

1723230611518.png

The main part of the commute was extended in the sunshine to grab some OS tiles (Veloviewer) wasn't fast but encountered some silly hills. I really must fix my derailleur so I can get into the small ring as its a grind in the 52T. The first one was actually the steepest of them (5.8%) and I thought I'd make room for the following car but he was patient too as I grovelled up and I got a nice Fair play from him when I stopped at the top.

Yh-clMcM23J789qBaEWFqHc1G8GOq_y0du8mjiUrE-996x2048.jpg

7taLfIM2SVA4CzRh_2tlG0s0NvzRR9KvHNepfDHY-1536x2048.jpg

ZfxUkGGe2Ehe8ofmFsBIio1vWbdzfrGG_Fu7e6Eo-1536x2048.jpg

94zKDeptyeZnpvXFSC5-mO9PGcuSeCWPFkN1zrTQ-2048x1536.jpg

3Cj4fMb706XZU2gu-Ed0AO0972pq3KW4Np8dD_Jc-1536x2048.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So...cycling home along the A21 this evening on way home. Doing a fair old lick. 20mph plus. I got close passed by a 4x4, scared the bleedin' life out of me. I threw my arm up and shouted, he put his arm out of the window and gave a fist or self-gratification artist sign, couldn't really see.
Next thing I know is sirens going off, then a police van behind, overtaking me and forcing him to pull over. They pulled into a side road and I followed. Cops got out and so did the driver, chavvy looking twat. Shouted at me to f*** off c***. I said to the cop I take it you saw what happened then? He said oh yes. Chavvy shouted at me, you were in the middle of the road you f******* c***. I shouted back, Admission of guilt right there. That got chavvy really angry.
Cop asked if I was OK? I said yeah, its not the first time, I'm a very experienced cyclist. I said I'm not bothered about charges just as long as you have a stern word with him and keep him here for a bit whilst I make my escape. Copper said, oh, this is going to take a while don't you worry. Take care on the way home.
I didn't go home my usual route but turned off the main road just in case he came looking after me.
I'd like to think chavvy had learned a lesson but methinks not. Those type of people just don't give a toss.

Alex321

Guru
Friday's commute didn't quite work out :sad:

Got too close to a car which stopped when I didn't expect it to. Went into the back of it and fell off. Landed on my left elbow, at not many mph, and broke both bones just above the elbow. They operated on Saturday, to hold it together with metalwork, got home from hospital today. Typing one handed at the moment.

A very kind cyclist who I have waved to fairly often while commuting in opposite directions picked my bike up and took it home for me. It doesn't look like there is significant damage to the bike.

[EDIT] There is of course, only one bone above the elbow. I misunderstood the surgeon when he said the outer bone was split and the inner was like a jigsaw puzzle. He meant the outer and inner parts of the same bone.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

Got too close to a car which stopped when I didn't expect it to. Went into the back of it and fell off. Landed on my left elbow, at not many mph, and broke both bones just above the elbow. They operated on Saturday, to hold it together with metalwork, got home from hospital today. Typing one handed at the moment.

A very kind cyclist who I have waved to fairly often while commuting in opposite directions picked my bike up and took it home for me. It doesn't look like there is significant damage to the bike.

Bugger - what an ordeal :sad:

If it makes you feel any better I've gone into the back of a car once too; thankfully the only thing damaged was my ego..

Here's to a swift recovery!

Alex321

Guru
Bugger - what an ordeal :sad:

If it makes you feel any better I've gone into the back of a car once too; thankfully the only thing damaged was my ego..

Here's to a swift recovery!

Yeah, it as one of those where it is a very fine line between being trivial and being pretty nasty.

But I HAVE to be more careful. I've hit the deck far too often in the last few years. It doesn't matter if I'm 10 minutes late getting to the office, so long as I get there.

out yesterday and today then mid week break, 32 yesterday reminds me of cycling in bali hot and time to slow down a bit. I dont miss the drivers over there, suddenly uk drivers dont seem so bad lol.

hope your okay done this myself, nothing worse just be glad you walked away from it, not everyone does.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice commute in. Spotted a fellow CC'er on the way. Had a bit of mild off roading to do in Alex Park as much of it still fenced off from the weekends carnival. Good job the grass was dry or I'd have been on my ass. Slicks and wet grass don't mix.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
So...cycling home along the A21 this evening on way home. Doing a fair old lick. 20mph plus. I got close passed by a 4x4, scared the bleedin' life out of me. I threw my arm up and shouted, he put his arm out of the window and gave a fist or self-gratification artist sign, couldn't really see.
Next thing I know is sirens going off, then a police van behind, overtaking me and forcing him to pull over. They pulled into a side road and I followed. Cops got out and so did the driver, chavvy looking twat. Shouted at me to f*** off c***. I said to the cop I take it you saw what happened then? He said oh yes. Chavvy shouted at me, you were in the middle of the road you f******* c***. I shouted back, Admission of guilt right there. That got chavvy really angry.
Cop asked if I was OK? I said yeah, its not the first time, I'm a very experienced cyclist. I said I'm not bothered about charges just as long as you have a stern word with him and keep him here for a bit whilst I make my escape. Copper said, oh, this is going to take a while don't you worry. Take care on the way home.
I didn't go home my usual route but turned off the main road just in case he came looking after me.
I'd like to think chavvy had learned a lesson but methinks not. Those type of people just don't give a toss.
What a glorious result - both to see the babylon represented in a legit, positive light as well as seeing some gobby POS getting a dressing down.

Personally I'd have pressed charges against the clearly nasty, unrepentant scumbag; however I'm a vindictive prick..

Yeah, it as one of those where it is a very fine line between being trivial and being pretty nasty.

But I HAVE to be more careful. I've hit the deck far too often in the last few years. It doesn't matter if I'm 10 minutes late getting to the office, so long as I get there.
That's unfortunate; any idea why? I guess I'm lucky in that I've only had one relatively nasty off in 20yrs / 15-20k miles and that was (legally) the driver's fault... although it could have been avoided were I not asleep..

Last night the journey home took over 4hrs for largely good reasons. Moseyed aimlessly after work experiencing the full range of emotions from elation at being in such a nice environment to misery that I'm only ever visiting and still feel like I have no business being here.

Spent a lot of time trimming brambles which is starting to consume me; having now become highly attuned to their pointy protruberences and obligated to cut them back when able. Did a load on the river, then a veil of skinny danglers by the path to the Abingdon Rd by the boathouse.

Most passers-by were indifferent and not that I do it for any gratitude, but a hearty "good man" from a passing cyclist and a few knowing / appreciative smiles from some of the ladies did a lot to lift my mood.

Despite being consistantly knackered I rinsed a bloke on an ebike up St. Aldates, much to my petty amusement.

Eventually found myself at the park for a somewhat frustrating session on the rings thanks to fatigue and slippy, sweaty hands, treating myself to a tonic out on the terrace at the Vicky afterwards.

After this it was back to the car along the tow path, lopping back yet more brambles as the cool dusk and peace descended. I saw quite a lot of wildlife; passing a woman guarding a "frog" on the tow path (I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a toad) - she was trying to shepherd it away from danger from where it was quite resolutely sat on the path; probably soaking up the day's heat from the tarmac.

Also startled a barn owl and spotted a deer's arse poking out of the hedge.

All this doubled the distance home to around 16 miles and I felt a lot better afterwards; dreading the return to winter though when all this gets taken away.. :sad:

This morning I awoke far too early again and was out the door in good time; if detached and not in a great mood. A bright morning but a tangible chill in the air gave a forboding warning of what's to come.

More trimming on the tow path as well as satisfaction from sailing along the relatively clear and tidy route knowing I've played a small part in making it that way.

Swans were present again although not problematic; I see varying amounts of parents / cygnets at any one time - I hope they're all OK.

Had to do the last part of the run through the city as I was late from the trimming; arriving just in time having hit 90% of max HR chasing a bloke on a road bike up the hill...

IMG_20240813_082423.jpg

:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom