Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sunday 19th

My commute home (or a section of it) was quite muddy!

I'd left Ferry Lane, at 'Stanley Ferry', which is where the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal crosses the River Calder (on a grade 1 listed) cast-iron 'bow-string' aquaduct

The wheel still turned, but was rather noisy, due to the build-up of mud
(Schwalbe Marathons)
82E5550F-ADBC-4F45-B32F-5CB2E78507A6.jpeg

'inverted' image (I've turned it round)
2C3D5EB0-1863-41E6-8EA2-0059F9DC9175.jpeg

F109A560-C02F-4D99-9C2D-E35E27DED65B.jpeg

I'm approximately where the 'm' of 'Dismantled Railway' is on the OS map
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2451643

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2 weeks ago I had to change my rear tyre. The Durano Plus had seen 18 months or there about of solid, hard tarmac action in all weathers. The last week of running it I got a run of 3 punctures in a row, mainly due to the wet roads picking up broken glass and finding their way into the cuts and knicks.
So bit the bullet and got a new tyre and a new inner tube to boot. Last nights commute, drizzle and wet roads. Another bloody puncture. Same cause. Small bit of glass stuck to the tyre and worked it's way in.

Tom B

Guru
Picked up firstborn from school on the tag along. His skid lid was full of mud and water (no I don't know what kids do either) so didnt wear it.

At the top of the street I stopped at in a huuuuuge ASL box at a red light. Its on a sweeping left turn which narrows on the bend and with a huge hole/drain on the nearside Simi was a good 3-4ft out from the kerb

Some social worker type Doris in a car pulls up behind, after 30seconds she then decides to pull up (over the MV stop line) squeezing into the gap on my right to give me a lecture about no1 not having a hat on.

.... The piousy of it.

Last edited:
Lol, I was a about 20mins early today. It drizzled all the way and the roads I thought would be flooded weren't, and the ones I thought would be clear weren't. I got to the office and when I got out of the shower it was blue skies 😂

I left the office about an hour late but although I've not looked at the stats yet it was probably my fastest commute of the year with the motivation to beat the darkness 👍

Edit I forgot to say it was the first commute in shorts (albeit with thin tights on) and it was very comfortable. What a difference from last week in the snow!

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Some social worker type Doris in a car pulls up behind, after 30seconds she then decides to pull up (over the MV stop line) squeezing into the gap on my right to give me a lecture about no1 not having a hat on.

Very hard in these circumstances not to open the door, remove keys, open boot, remove wheel brace, brutally beat the driver to death, torch the remains in the car then cycle off whistling a cheerful ditty.

What??? Too much?????

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On lates so set off about 12.15 am into the teeth of the wind which was blowing so hard sometimes i was practically being stopped, this direction was only for the 1st 7 or so miles ;) , add in the fact it was raining and spray from the lorries so it was a real nice end to the day .
At the approach to a very steep hill i was slogging up the false flat when a chap on a MTB comes flying past and dissapears up the hill like it wasnt there , i hope it was an e bike or im getting very unfit !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Missed the rain on the way home last night, then it was wet and windy most of the night. Woke to sunshine and a gentle head wind - whoop.

Scalped a young lad on one of those dodgy e-scooters last night. Probably a limited to 15.5 mph one, but it could still climb little lumps without a speed loss.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom