Surrey police crack down on Box Hill cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Surrey? Misread that bit. The sentiment still stands. Stick up for yourselves. Ignoring this stuff just makes it fester.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think its a storm in a teacup. Sensible considerate riders wont be affected. Inconsiderate riders deserve what they get.

apollo179

Ignoring the legality of the fines i dont see the Police are doing anything wrong in advising cyclists against riding inconsiderately and antisocially and contrary to the rules of the highway code.
Nothing causes more anti bike feeling than groups of lycra clad heros emboldened by numbers cycling selfishly and with no consideration for other traffic.
Shame the police feel the need to take this action in the first place.

400bhp

Guru
1. Ignoring the legality of the fines i dont see the Police are doing anything wrong in advising cyclists against riding inconsiderately and antisocially and contrary to the rules of the highway code.
2. Nothing causes more anti bike feeling than groups of lycra clad heros emboldened by numbers cycling selfishly and with no consideration for other traffic.
Shame the police feel the need to take this action in the first place.

1. Agree

2. Disagree

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I think its a storm in a teacup. Sensible considerate riders wont be affected. Inconsiderate riders deserve what they get.

But thats not really what has been said by the officers. Does the average motorist, or more specifically non-cyclist, understand the rights and obligations of cyclists? There appears to be some confusion. This is a good opportunity to help clarify those confusions.

pshore

I know its not defined, but when does cycling become inconsiderate ?

How much time can I hold someone up for ?
At what speed is it no longer inconsiderate ?
Is driving a tractor/caravan/truck without pulling over inconsiderate?
Is waiting in a line of hundreds of cars and blocking roads to get into a boxing day sale inconsiderate or a queue ?

So many questions, so many variables. No wonder its undefined.

Rebel Ian

Next weekend I'm doing an organised 115 mile sportive around London that shortly after the start goes straight through Box Hill - that'll slow the bloody traffic down for sure!!!

ayceejay

Guru
Easy answer to the problem especially as this probably only becomes a problem on Sundays is close the windy bit to motorists providing them with diversion signs to go up another way.

There's a bit more information and explanation on Surrey Police's website:

Update: 22/08/2011 16:37:12
CYCLISTS ON RURAL ROADS
The rural roads around Mole Valley have always been popular with cyclists, however, since the announcement of the Olympic cycle route in/around Box Hill the numbers of cyclists on our roads have significantly increased.

The local Neighbourhood Policing Team have received numerous complaints from motorists regarding the behaviour of cyclists and are currently trying to educate as many as possible to increase road safety.

If you are a cyclist, and/or, a member of a cycling club, please inform any fellow cyclists of their responsibility to adhere to the Highway Code when cycling.
The Code states that cyclists should never ride more than two abreast, and on narrow roads they should ride in single file. Failure to adhere to the Highway Code may lead to you being prosecuted.

Careless and inconsiderate riding legislation states: If a person, rides a cycle, on a road, without due care and attention, or, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, is guilty of an offence. This legislation carries a maximum fine of £1,000.

d87heaven

without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road

If that was used on a basis to prosecute peds and/or motorists then I think the force would need to order some extra tickets.

Reasonable consideration is a pretty vague term though isn't it?

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I'd suggest that there's been some moaning at a local neighbourhood forum looking at that.

This the problem with allowing the local community to decide local policing priorities. Unfortunately the public perception of a problem is usually altogether different to the actual problem. You also tend to find that more people from the more afflent areas on your patch turn out to set priorities. Therfore the policing priorities are weighted more in that direction.

Sorry to say that wha'ts important to Joe Bloggs..Parking on verges, dog fouling, litter etc really isn't a police issue, however we have to spend time dealing with these issues instead of doing proactive burglary patrols, entering peoples houses with our big red key and taking away thier drugs, dealing with car crime etc.

However, if individual cyclists are acting in a manner that is causing a POLICING issue then it should be dealt with on an individual basis.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
This the problem with allowing the local community to decide local policing priorities. Unfortunately the public perception of a problem is usually altogether different to the actual problem. You also tend to find that more people from the more afflent areas on your patch turn out to set priorities. Therfore the policing priorities are weighted more in that direction.

Sorry to say that wha'ts important to Joe Bloggs..Parking on verges, dog fouling, litter etc really isn't a police issue, however we have to spend time dealing with these issues instead of doing proactive burglary patrols, entering peoples houses with our big red key and taking away thier drugs, dealing with car crime etc.

However, if individual cyclists are acting in a manner that is causing a POLICING issue then it should be dealt with on an individual basis.

VoaB - Always a voice of sense and reason :smile:

Top Bottom