England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I may have a +1 for the ride tomorrow, if we don't go too crazy on the route. Got a new rider who wants to join, but doesn't want to slow us down / show herself up.

Needless to say, this means I'll be joining TDT for 0830, and HPC an hour later.

If the Bromley Massive arrive late, and you spy a wandering raptobike, be nice :smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
ooo a raptobike. might have to defiantly have an early night to see one in the flesh?

I've been feeling ill for the past few days, so might have to give tomorrow a miss and join you next week

I may have a +1 for the ride tomorrow, if we don't go too crazy on the route. Got a new rider who wants to join, but doesn't want to slow us down / show herself up.

Needless to say, this means I'll be joining TDT for 0830, and HPC an hour later.

If the Bromley Massive arrive late, and you spy a wandering raptobike, be nice :smile:

Im always on time
whistling.gif

St Simon of Assis - a veritable nom de plume!

The Usual. The Sunday. The Ride.
Simon and Adam were there, ready...'raptochic' was also there. Laid back (she would lay down later) we acknowledged VJ Day as a small 'gallop' of soldiers passed on their horses.
2ia3mhi.jpg
Beautiful synchronicity with the horses' fetlocks swinging in the rythmn of the morning. The Kings Troop - Royal Horse Artillery.
It seems appropriate: 'Comfort', followed by Piccadilly - "We're On Our Way!" (© DZ rides passim).
Architecture swipes at you on the Sunday Rides - calmer roads in parts enables one to look up, to left, to right...
316ss3s.jpg
Space, glass continuum.
We had decided on a Northern approach to Woolwich Ferry, but "Look Mum, I have Cycled 2k" got in the way! We had a coffee and some chat (which is what it is all about really), - a friendly atmosphere (apart from the wannabe fixie demon who found his vintage Halfords being 'cuddled' by THE Colnago C50...he really wasn't sure what to do - but many eyes were on him!)
rtmjj5.jpg
The establishment did a good trade in 'Look Mum, No Hands' caps!
A journey through the Barbican, Commercial road ensued...
33wbd6e.jpg
So much space in London, so much potential...Previously we had the luxury of two Woolwich Ferries but this time we got to the front of the queue and had to wait. Ian - morose as ever, following an average Chelsea performance the previous day, decided to clean the clean bits on his bike. Dave had some wet wipes, (which were luckily alcohol free otherwise Ian would have sucked on them).
2j1uc0g.jpg
Tattooed beat warrior doing the housework.
Ta ta Clive, ta ta Ian - they looked like Father and Son disappearing up the hill after we disembarked the ferry. The rest continued upwards to admire the vista from the heights of Greenwich Park, and to drink more coffee! :smile:
ru8qaw.jpg
Canada monumental
2ntwlv.jpg
'Homage à Battersea Power Station'
At rest, at coffee, the two most eligible of men (Dr Si L'age ® and Ben Tandy (l) ) were approached by a lady of foreign repute, who expressed a wish to sit on it. of course, Ben and Si jumped to attention and she lay down in readiness. ~At this stage, it is probably useful to include a photograph (Health & Safety etc...)
2s1qdrk.jpg
Her grandfather used to 'invent' bikes apparently and she was intrigued...(I make no comment about the various helpful positions that 'the lads' were adopting to assist with her needs but a couple of hours later the look on her face told a story better than words could possibly describe.
2ziwy28.jpg

Boris Bike took a new twist at Borough!
2n9fjfp.jpg
£50 per half hour! ;)
At Parliament, Raptochic, Simon and Dave went left towards the Embankment and Chelsea, while Adam and I veered towards the North via The Mall etc.
I continued through HPC to Hyde Park, a couple of laps riding and out towards the West, then right towards a shower. In Hyde Park, I followed
more horses. This time they were not 'on duty', but just as hard working nevertheless! Good horses!
suygiv.jpg
A symmetrical end to the images!
Thanks all for, as always, an interesting ride. Plenty more information yet to be revealed, and tentative plans to visit the Thames Flood Barrier one
Sunday morning - by boat! Complete with bar and disco! No bikes allowed. "Look Mum, no bands!"

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Lovely write up Ape, but you missed being pulled by the rozzers for obstructing the course of motorists.

The arena for this most dastardly of crimes? A road whose entry was near entirely blocked by traffic queueing across the roundabout to get to the Woolwich Ferry.

All a bit ironic really, as we were only riding two abreast and it was actually one of the (very) few times that Simon wasn't threatening to stand in the road and command 'Halt!'

Didn't want to cause embarrasment, via revelation, to BentMikey or Gaz.
We can 'catcharozzer' just like that...we don't have to wait for them to cut us up!
Besides, I think the police lady was just getting tetchy as she was due to 'go round Mary's and play My Little Pony' that afternoon - we were holding her up.

Little post - big thank you, enormous in fact. Thank you every single one of you on today's Sunday Ride for looking out for me and after me. I am grinning from ear to ear that having only had a Raptobike for three weeks I raptode from HPC to Greenwich and back. I would not have done it without you. What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! R

Top Bottom