England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just back from my Sunday dinner...... Really enjoyed that ride. 40 miles for me. So many things to see as we cruised through London that you just wouldn't experience in a car Great to see some new faces this Sunday as well. Cant wait to the next ride.

23ux361.jpg

What a day! The usuals, Added Des, Mark and lots of sun! A 10km run for good causes through the great City and all sorts of episodes. Yes folks it was a regular Sunday run for the posse!
(At this point I apologise to the driver of the big car who I cut in front of whilst answering an emergency call - from Luke).

We met. Martin had a touch of tendonitis, Clive was feeling a bit chilly as it was only about 28 centigrade at that point, Andy A was laid back and Dave was as cool as usual.(That would soon change but...)
A decision was made...
...after engaging a group of ladies in a 'show us your poster please' activity. Here is a section of the fan club for Girls Can't Catch- they were vociferous in their support.
2rhmbu0.jpg

The group's latest release is here:
[media]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6KF_L3OYo&feature=related[/media]

Remember, 'Girls Can't Catch' is the name of the group, and two of the members were running in aid of the Fostering Network. A deal was struck. We would publicise their new single (which is not as good as 'Love Shy' by the way girls!) and they would love CycleChat forever! :smile:
[media]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYcAPqUcriA[/media]

Here is their website - always pleased to help talent develop. Hope your legs are not too sore ladies!

And "We're on our way"
Zimzum decided to tangle with the cops at an early juncture - opposite Buckingham House for added effect - and we made our way to various stopping points and played 'runner dodgems', crossing roads towards our target.
(At time of writing, my neighbours - sweet as they are - are playing Boom Boom bass through the walls. I have just turned my speakers to the wall and 'turned up' the volume. 'Cybertropic Chilango Power' is in the CD...and I think I have just set off a car alarm outside! Inconsiderate fiends - I have a report to write...roughly translated as **** them - this is war).

We passed The Shard - early days yet...
5lyn44.jpg

15w0lc.jpg

Very impressive already - and work was continuing apace on Sunday! Should I post a pic of the man on the pink bike who wanted to swap with Dave? Could be shocking for those with sensitive knees! (Includes Mr Allsopp commencing a Ministry of Silly Walks exercise :smile: )
Thanks to Dave and Martin with a seasoning of others familiar with the terrain, we weaved our way onto CS3. Wow! Full of cr*p and not officially open yet - is it?
28l5sn.jpg

The lads dominate CS3! Mark, Des, Martin,Clive, Luke, Ian, Andy and Dave. Reclining like a tart: Paul. (My bike is representing me..upright, clean, tidy, underused...)
2extt0n.jpg

Clive took the opportunity to go 'cut price' down the cycleroute alleyway.
A brilliant mural to commemorate the Oswald Mosely era presented itself - Martin's photo earlier does it justice - massive history within that picture!
Paul led us to the optimum viewpoint to see the runway at City Airport.
jrw6yw.jpg

Des - framing London's superb skyline on a fine day.
5angvn.jpg

The group were attentive...We watched fire engines doing reps around the airfield and speculated on all sorts of things - all was well with the world at this point because we could see London. The Dome, The Gherkin, Canary Wharf Tower, - everything. the sun was joining in and we set off to the Woolwich Ferry without much ado - a bit - but not much. "Come on mate" was the call and on we rolled. Some people are nice. The guy in charge could have 'done a jobsworth' but he saw us and read the situation - all credit to him.
A dramatic perspective vanishing depart - and we landed in Greenwich!
At this point, Luke went route one for the Park and civilised folk waited for him. Obviously, he had gone ahead to get the drinks in for the thirsty peloton in need of libations...

There now follows a dialogue between Ian and a car driver who 'bibbed' him whilst on the 'phone...
"F**** ******** *** **** you silly ******* bas**** - you ***** **** *** " - well, you get the gist I expect.
(I got my apology in earlier - remember?)

Anyway - we put Zim right on one or two facts of forum life before saying our goodbye to Ian (Who is going to New York - in case you didn't know folks) and we did an allsorts towards town. Dave's cleat had given way on him and our normal Embankment ride was a no-go because of the 10k run. We headed past The Tate, South Bank and Waterloo (ta ta! Dave), and eventually arrived, past Horseguards, en route to "Buckingham, the Palace"...where charming Charlotte was spotted! She was returning, fully laden, from a yacf pre-Dunwich recce (So efficient these beardy sandal wearers on yacf, they entice nice young ladies, with memory, in to do the grafting). Charlotte was headed for sexual Ealing. The rest of us were um...but we'll leave it there eh...(I should add at this point that Dave has this fabulous story, involving romance, CycleChat, and transatlantic 'phone calls in the early hours - I could hardly cope, but it is not for me to say any more!)
298m03.jpg

Zimzum renewed old acquaintances, and all was well with the world once more.
24lkj7s.jpg

Goodbyes ensued. The 'West' lads, Mark, Luke and Des heading for High St Ken. and Paul and I going Northwards. We engaged a guy, Shaun (a skater) in conversation - he'll be checking this forum for next Sunday's ride - Paul hit Park Lane because he was on a promise (from User482) and I took to Speaker's Corner - as usual. Damn, it was hot. I stopped and drank coffee and Coke - bliss!
Then, I decided to peramble to The Serpentine - to see what an effort Jean Nouvel had made with his 'Red' installation.
ad0obd.jpg

and...
2vlmc12.jpg

And then I went to see Mikey, who was having his lunch!
We had a chat, I spat at him and legged it.
What a lovely day everyone - nice to see Mark out to play and hopefully next time, a few more. (My boom bass neighbours must be getting the hump now - I'll take my earplugs out in a minute!)
Heading North via the A5, I encountered a chap who had been to Regents Park for a picnic with his family and was riding back to Harrow. Nice to chat with you and, if you make it to this forum. Sign up and get into the buzz of Sunday morning! It's family friendly!!!

Result! The boom boom has stopped. Winner! :smile:

What a great day out!

Great write up Martin and great pics. One of the best days we have had yet I think. Now having a beer and watching the footie

Route here for anyone who is interested

potsy

Rambler
I'll probably never get to go on one but I love reading about the Sunday London rides,they always sound such fun.
Great pics too,and the 'spitting on Mikey' line had me laughing out loud,good stuff guys.

Thanks potsy - come along...the more the merrier! (At least until the reports!)

OK - after severe arm twisting, here's the moment that Dave got propositioned and Andy embarked of his John Cleese...:smile:
33xcxtk.jpg

Did you get his number Dave? :smile:

that made be laugh :biggrin: forgot about that bloke on the pink BMX.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
My first Sunday London Ride. Thanks one and all.
It's a great way to learn your way around and see parts of the city you never knew were there. Many times as we approached a landmark or junction I had an 'Oh that's were we are' moment.

Mark.

potsy

Rambler
[/quote]Thanks potsy - come along...the more the merrier!
[/quote]

Would do mate but it's a bit out of my way(Mancland):smile:

[/quote]

that made be laugh :biggrin: forgot about that bloke on the pink BMX.
[/quote]

How could anyone forget that!!

Mikee did some from Hull last year. I suggest getting a FNRttC under your belt. Plenty of assistance available during the day should you need it in London. Give it some thought. The train will leave on Sunday afternoon! :smile:

potsy

Rambler
Mikee did some from Hull last year. I suggest getting a FNRttC under your belt. Plenty of assistance available during the day should you need it in London. Give it some thought. The train will leave on Sunday afternoon! :smile:

He came over to Stockport for our CC ride too,trouble is he's super fit and I'm not
wink.gif

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Ah. Lovely day. Sunny and green in the capital
leafylondon.jpg

Saw lots of cones
clivestop.jpg

some blue tarmac
cs3.jpg

some suncast night sights
morelondonbyday.jpg

some towers
canaries.jpg

some other towers
towerbridge.jpg

a pink bike
reflect.jpg

an airport
runway.jpg

and a ferry
martinaworldofcars.jpg

All in, a success! Great riding with you. 41 miles for me, plus some new red bits.

Top Bottom