England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

Yes, it was a charity ride for a couple of local hospices Greenwich-Erith-Greenwich along the Thames. I think the van, a white tranny, also had ''Alpine Challenge 2013 painted on it.

I think I know the event you mean. I wanted to do it but I can't really arrange things at the moment. I went for a spur of the moment 'race my Dad around the suburbs' ride today instead.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know! I didn't have my breakfast until 3pm in Rainham. I stopped for a wee while at the south end of the toot funnel in case Ben and Emma came that way, and chatted a little to the guys amassing for a charity ride to Erith and back. There was a van from Sidcup cycles that was doing a free Dr Bike type thing in Cutty Sark gardens - free but welcome donations to the charities they were supporting.
Then I stopped to chat with Glen, who does the Pitstop bike servicing at the north end.
It's a wonder I ever get anywhere.
Anyhow, as I'd only popped out for a coffee I was a little surprised to find myself having breakfast in Rainham. A very pleasant way to spend a very pleasant day. Thanks for the company, Ben, Emma and User10571. We did a rather elaborate Dagenham detour but I don't think anybody minded in the least. Even the father and son who tagged along with us because they thought we knew where we going didn't mind. Mind you, they had set out for Southend without a map, or water.
And we saw one of these at TBW - the strangest saddle I've ever come across:
spongy-wonder-bicycle-seat.JPG
$122CAD according to their website. Curious looking thing. Nowhere to attach a bagman though.

crazyjoe101

Anyone out this Sunday or is it going to be too wet for y'all? I'm probably going to do some sort of ride as I'm skipping the club ride tomorrow on the basis that I've destroyed myself enough with a bike for the next 24 hours.

crazyjoe101

I quite enjoy the elements when I'm off the bike. Without mudguards though, the spray acts as constant water cooling on my feet and backside :sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not planning to go out tomorrow but I'll keep an eye on the thread to see whether anyone will be drifting eastwards to TBW, in which case I'll pop over the river for a sociable coffee.

U

User10571

I'm not planning to go out tomorrow .........
Have you seen tomorrow's forecast?
That said, the forecasters got it totally wrong about today.... Consequently I cancelled a planned ride :sad: and had a day mostly indoors.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That said, the forecasters got it totally wrong about today.... Consequently I cancelled a planned ride :sad: and had a day mostly indoors.

Indeed.. was planning on going out tomorrow but with hindsight being a wonderful thing...should have gone out this morning when I woke up to near clear skies.

wanda2010

Guru
That reminds me to only half believe what the forecasters say! I'll see what the weather's like in the morning when I open the curtains.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Ah, yes, good point. I had it in my head that there was a northerly type wind and northerlies aren't usually too rainy. But the wind's changing to westerly overnight, and they're the wettest. Never mind, I've got decent coffee indoors.

Top Bottom