England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
It will very much be winging it.

I will probably use the FNRttC route for most of it, unless that turns out to be horrible during the daytime.
Or it may just be route one through Greenwich then on to Dartford (although I think this would involve Shooters Hill :whistle: ) then Gravesend, Rochester, Gillingham, Grange and up to Sheerness.

Unless there are some helpful suggestions or even better someone who knows a good way who wants to come along :biggrin:

Am doing something else, but I have done Sustrans route 1 before. It's quite a good route. The Thames path is very pretty and there is a long traffic-free stretch.

Only problems are:
some gravel on the Thames path - not too rough so probably ok on your bike, but I was on wider tyres when i did it
There is a silly bit as you enter Rochester where you go down a ridiculously steep footpath. That needs to be avoided.
It goes through a rubbish tip near Dartford. Fine as tips go, but not exactly scenic!

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx

this thingy came up with an ok looking route. Couple of mates from work interested, although they have no idea about a route either and suggested this site. I was thinking about winging the lunch/halfway stop depending on when we leave (won't be early o clock!)

frank9755

Cyclist
Yours just showed Paris when I clicked on it!

Looking at the map it looks like the obvious way to go. But a bit straight, though, but have a good day out!

That's kind of what I had in mind.

You We may not be very popular when it takes us over Shooters Hill, but if Martin can do it then I'm sure the rest of us can as well :tongue:

Er, this is supposed to be a relaxing weekend! I'm up for a prettier bendier route if it doesn't involve going on too many shared paths. I can always pack my trainers for the inclines!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
That's kind of what I had in mind.

You We may not be very popular when it takes us over Shooters Hill, but if Martin can do it then I'm sure the rest of us can as well :tongue:

And he does it with that flappy jacket, armwarmers not included of course....

When you say the "rest of us", is that an invitation that more people can come and is this for this Sunday?

Am actually free Sunday, albeit still nursing a hangover from Friday, am sure...

redjedi

Über Member
And he does it with that flappy jacket, armwarmers not included of course....

When you say the "rest of us", is that an invitation that more people can come and is this for this Sunday?

Am actually free Sunday, albeit still nursing a hangover from Friday, am sure...

This is the alternative Sunday ride this week. The normal one may still be running.

I think Becs wants a late start of about 10.30 from the usual HPC.

And of course anyone's welcome.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
This is the alternative Sunday ride this week. The normal one may still be running.

I think Becs wants a late start of about 10.30 from the usual HPC.

And of course anyone's welcome.

Excellant, thanks!

Everything ticks the boxes on this one for me, so catch ya then... well, Friday first of course..

And were cycling back too yeh?? Back up on over shooters hill? I dont see what the fuss is about that hill, theres worse, but the view coming back into London is great.

Working - but it's naff up that way anyhoose. Get yourself across to Herford - Ware - upwards to Henry's place... drift down into London on Ian's route that takes you past Tottingham Hotspurs Supporters Shop etc / Stamford Hill and the smoke.

Is it really that bad?
Hertford sounds nice too, but I want to go to a beach godammit! :sun: My usual route to cambridge takes me through Much Haddem, the Pelhams etc. Maybe next weekend - I might cycle Cambridge to London on the sunday afternoon (17th) if I'm not too broken from a hen weekend. If I do people would be welcome to join!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
That sounds nice too, but I want to go to the beach godammit! :sun: My usual route to cambridge takes me through Much Haddem, the Pelhams etc. Maybe next weekend - I might cycle Cambridge to London on the sunday afternoon (17th) if I'm not too broken from a hen weekend. If I do people would be welcome to join!

Careful of the runners... and diversions... London marathon that day...

Top Bottom