England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
this post is useless without pics?

(and just wait until next Sunday's meet-up. Becs may be the one we don't shake hands with)

What do you think of One Hyde Park, 'Teef?

Davy is always horsing about (well, a zebra is nearly a horse innit? Davy giving birth to a baby kebab, with Becs in attendance would be eventful on a Sunday morning...

As for One Hyde Park I spent quite a while just daydreaming yesterday, of course I want to live there, of course anyone would be welcome to drop in, and of course I like the copper stuff going up the sides of the building. I like the idea of the tapered blocks and there is a lot of rythmn change in the building. Does that sound naff? what I mean is, it has variety in texture and form, light and shade - sort of stuff which I like - old or new. I also looked at the RCA building next to the Albert Hall whilst admiring the sky - didn't quite do it for me yesterday!
Is there an affordable social housing payoff happening somewhere? :smile: Anyway, long live the architects - I have just ranted to my local council for plans offering 'demolition of offices and rebuilding with traditional brick and natural coloured coping stones providing one-bedroom accomodation with ample parking and mindful of its proximity to local conservation area etc' - bo***cks - I paraphrase, but I want adventure in the suburbs, not the same old same old looky-likey.
Back to the subject and I look forward to further investigation. A Sunday morning tour around the perimiter of the Park might be a good idea...stopping to explain and discuss stuff that catches the eye...I'll invite Quinlan Terrytowel along for an informed opinion on the 'way it is'. x(

I guess you sped quickly over the North Circular then Mark :biggrin:...and you didn't get shunted! The A5 is ok when the sun is out as everyone just boogies around, the air is full of spliff smoke and pothole dancing is the pastime of choice for the cyclist who has regard for the welfare of wheels.
Cutting across to Watford and down through Harrow Weald etc might do the trick - Adam may have an alternative as he can't help himself but ride inwards from those wild parts! Or the other way possibly, turn left at Elstree somewhere and drop into London via Barnet (Arkley is a nice bit but I'm no expert) Totteridge and Highgate etc.

Coming into London first thing on a Sunday down the A5 is lovely, as there's so few cars, and it's not a problem on a Friday night either.

However yesterday, I'd forgotten that it's been about a year since I cycled back home up the A5 on a weekend morning, and I quickly remembered why, as LukesDad mentioned above. The A5 up to Edgware is just a pain with all the cars getting in the way and all the traffic lights being at red and cars moving across the bus lane sections (although I guess they might not be active anyway). And that's before you add in all the pedestrians walking across the road without looking.

So I'll admit I'd had enough and diverted off onto the train.

As for an easier alternative route heading north, you'd have to navigate a lot of back roads, which would make it more complicated (but possible now I've got a GPS), so I might look at Belsize Park, Golders Green, Colindale.

I did the Golders green bit yesterday, before carrying on rather than join the A5, Adam - then I exited at the top of the A1! Still a mash up whichever way you do it. I go West Heath Road / Ave etc sometimes and that's a bit lumpy. The other side, Ingrams Ave etc - the posh bit - is also a bit of a roundabout way to get around. Halo/Martok are the ones who will know nice ways in and out of town perhaps, or Becs.
Inbound yesterday I took Fryent Way, Blackbird Hill, Neasden Lane and all the North Circ. sliproadsy bits - still playing with traffic but not the A5! Then I dipped into Queens Park, Bayswater etc and approached 'by the back'. As you say - it's quiet at times.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Our routes tend to be direct if we're coming into the city as we've normally got a deadline. Our social rides tend to be more Northbound where the nicer roads can be found.

Coming in to HPC we use :
B519 (Spaniards)
A502 (Hampstead)
B511 (pot hole dodging down hill)
A41 (lovely fast tarmic with not so lovely 5 lane traffic to cut across)
A5 (as fast as possible)

For work I use :
A1
A400
A5200
A201
All of which is just quick and dirty but with plenty of cabs to duck in behind as they bully the traffic out of the way for me.

Abs

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hm. I can just about get used to Abs being faster than me, but I'm not at all keen on her being tougher than me. That cutting across the A41 is just a bit much for me these days.

I do think that in the early morning, even a weekday morning, the A41 is the better bet going outward. Anytime later than 8 I'll take the train out. And the A5 flyover at Brent Cross is no fun in a headwind.

The A41 Park Road is a dream bit of tarmac. when it was relaid - a couple of years ago it felt like a 'beam me up Scotty and dump me in France' moment! The rest is ok either way even if there is a bus in front when in bus lane heaven. There is often a yummy daddy / mummy on the 'phone or texting, sorting out bag contents etc, in the adjacent lane, slowing down the traffic...The five lane business is tedious though - best taken with unhesitating intent. :rolleyes: But like nearly all riding - I'm on a journey, not in a race, and as long as most of the drivers see me, well, in with a chance eh? Be careful out there.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Ah now heading North I use a different route again. Heading North through Camden/Chalk Farm up Haverstock Hill and over the top of the heath on Spaniards Road then down Bishops Avenue. When heading out towards the North downs I just jump on the the A1000 and get there quickly rather than take a scenic route.

lukesdad

I can see ill have to do some homework then. Thanks guys.

So the ride down to Sussex any good routes out of town southwards ?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah now heading North I use a different route again. Heading North through Camden/Chalk Farm up Haverstock Hill and over the top of the heath on Spaniards Road then down Bishops Avenue. When heading out towards the North downs I just jump on the the A1000 and get there quickly rather than take a scenic route.

Aren't the North Downs in Kent/Surrey?? :wacko:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Aren't the North Downs in Kent/Surrey?? :wacko:

blush.gif
um maybe they are. I thought that the lumpy bits south of london were the south downs and the lumpy bits north of london were the north downs. You may mock me.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I wouldn't mock you Abs. You'd start trying to kill me on hills. South downs are towards the south coast around Brighton - Dover way iirc

Sent whilst out and about via Tapatalk

Do you tinker around the Devils Punchbowl Ross? Lurgashall and environs sticks out in the 'laugh a minute' category...now if I could unbolt a few kilos and lean it against the wall, I might like to ride up and up and, downabit, up and up and etc...

North is the Chilterns Abs - but you know that. Says you can see muntjack deer, badgers and all sorts - just as likely to see a flying dodo :whistle:

Top Bottom