England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a bit 'freestyle' today - I had to do something else first thing this morning but have been through Notting Hill, spotted something nice, something 'odd' (well coincidental maybe) and the usual HPC array of routes. Shorts, jersey - none of the bungled up feel of Winterwear either. Fantastic! Bit windy, bit grey - hope the others are having a blast...
Presently at work, and therefore will go looking for mischief in Parliament Hill Fields and beyond I guess... :whistle:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Weather looked okay this morning and it was dry, so I was feeing pretty optimistic when I left home at half past eight. I misjudged my new distance (moved last Sunday) to HPC and arrived at ten past nine, shortly to be joined by Lukesdad. Fly, Flying Dodo, Topcat and Davywalnuts all arrived quite soon afterwards then after a short chat we were joined by Halo J and Martok.

We rolled away from HPC about 10 and through Hyde Park, down past the Albert Hall and peeled off towards Chelsea. We rode along the Kings Rd all the way to Putney bridge then across the river and down Lower Richmond Rd. Past the Priory and into Richmond Park at Roehampton gate... I was cursing the headwind. We did an anti-clockwise loop, up Sawyers Hill into that flaming headwind, then the rain started :rain: I was promptly left for dead on the hills by everybody but the gallant Lukesdad who slowed to a crawl at the top, to allow me to catch up. We completed the lap and met up with the others at the bustling cafe, by Roehampton gate. A cheeky slice of lemon cake and a hot chocolate seemed more than reasonable reward.

We went our different ways and I came home via Putney Heath and Wmbledon Park, past the Tennis courts and up yet another steep hill! Through the village then back downhill all the way home. A windy 30 miles for me, so not a bad Sunday morning's entertainment. Thanks for the ride all.

SD

Good on you Anthony! (And Mark - ever the gent). Oh well - I don't feel too bad knowing you were headed in the opposite direction and not just 'adjacent'. A moody sky day and my second leg was PH Fields followed by a bit of Mill Hill action, testing the leggie weggies...Shower now, 35 beers and then upload some photos - Dave's must be in the pipeline..? Dave :whistle:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
so i was up early again and went out to do a heathrow richmond park loop oh yes with a nice wind

on to hpc to meet up with chris adam ant lukesdad davy abs and andy we set off for richmond park

having already "done the park" i did a short lap and went to the cafe to have breakfeast

on returning to hyde pk we bumped into bentmikey and had nice little chat

peel off time
:biggrin:

Martok

Klingon on a bike
An enjoyable ride today, my first of the year. In fact, it's my first ride (apart from sessions on the cycle rollers) since October!
whistling.gif

As has been mentioned, today we returned to Richmond Park. The last time I was here on CC Sunday I was on my heavy Trek 7200 and I was left behind, even by my other half, HaloJ who was playing cycle-kiss-chase with ianrauk.
rolleyes.gif
Today he wasn't there but she still sped off in front. However, I knew we were doing a lap and returning to the cafe so although I was at the back of the pack they didn't lose me this time. :tongue:

davywalnuts came back to ours afterwards for some lunch and to try out the cycle rollers. I think we scared him a bit by putting them by the side of the stairs (we're a 1st floor flat)! It was only so the bannister was there to hold onto, honest!
whistling.gif

All-in-all great fun and I look forward to another CC Sunday ride soon.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• whistling.gif
    whistling.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 15

lukesdad

Yes enjoyed that, thank you very much for the invite, and the company. Nice to meet sitting duck after all this time, and what company he was around the park. Ive never seen so many cyclists in one place, other than meets.

Scary woman in the cafe ! :eek: After leaving I did another 2 1/2 laps and finally saw the deer 3 herds,made my day.

Went back via the embankment Trafalgar square and the Mall. Did a few laps of regents park and back to Harpenden via the A5. Thanks for the warning guys the Edgware Road was certainly an experience.

I ll come again if you ll have me.

I came at Hyde Park the odd way today - via Queens Park and Notting Hill. Sometimes you just get this thought that 'I really should go this way' - just as a nod to past times, and, as I had something else to do first thing, it seemed appropriate. Besides, I was also faffing with my bike setup.
Pacman!

2lididx.jpg

Then I was 'forced' to do a u-turn in Westbourne Park Road when this caught my eye. Nice colour I mused (not noticing the contents of the store :whistle:)

2l144z.jpg

New to me - an odd name 'Pistol' etc...As I was about to set off again, I noticed another shop, a couple of doors down.

5uqsme.jpg

Must be something going on here I thought...and then on the corner was this one

2py74eu.jpg

Time to move on. Mikey wasn't there earlier this morning - just a teacher (skate tutor.com) and a little pupil, rolling in the billowing wind and under the gaze of Prince Albert - gilty as charged... But the sky! It was a day for the Paynes Grey and Titanium White swirl and smear. Imposing backdrop to the colours of buildings, darkening then splitting to blue, before tightening its grip on the day - I love those skies!

2lthks8.jpg

I moseyed on, stopping at One Hyde Park, which was now naked for all the world to see. The website has some terrific videos if and when you have the time. I fired a few shots at the glass but the slugs just bounced off. Check out the nifty canopy that gives the vehicle access that touch of class.
The sculpture? Well, it's sort of OK, but I didn't like it much.

29274ep.jpg

28r3adw.jpg

Then wondered if you had all gone for a frothy moustache at LMNH, but decided to go workwards instead, one lap of Regents Park for fun, with someone about my age who was a bit quick and we bade a farewell as I headed to Camden then Kentish Town.
Funny that Mark should have taken the A5 - my commute! I deliberately avoided it both ways today as it sucks! :smile:
Parliament Hill Fields was as gentle and family-filled as ever. The Shard is having an impact. Soon there will be others, and the 'Gherkin' is suddenly looking a bit shrivelled in the company it keeps on London's skyline.

ae86fc.jpg

After that; the clutter of Hampstead, Golders Hill, Totteridge, Mill Hill etc and out. No idea how far but my legs have that nice ache at the moment. Now, if only I lived in One Hyde Park, I could bell down to the Mandarin Oriental and get a massage sent up. Hmmm...
Plenty of distraction today - I would have been useless in company I reckon! :smile:

http://tinypic.com/a/2ksw2/4

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Gutted I missed a richmond park outing! Sadly I was in a muddy field in the rain elbow-deep in a pony's va-JJ at the time!

Hopefully I'll be about next week.
this post is useless without pics?

(and just wait until next Sunday's meet-up. Becs may be the one we don't shake hands with)

What do you think of One Hyde Park, 'Teef?

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
My first Sunday Morning CC Ride and what hard work it was, getting out of bed at such a rude hour is not good, but the rose tinted clouds and bright blue skies beckoned me and so I went.

Was really nice bumping into a few of the regulars again and meeting some new ones, hello again.

Had a really nice pit stop at Halo/Martok Cafe, much appreciated again, thank you and had a brief whizz on their rollers. SCARY!!! Infact I was still trembling for a fair few miles after and for a long time after it still felt I was on them, very strange sensation. But defo a future purchase.

On the way back into London, I got overtaken by a cycling club bunch clad in Cervelo and Rapha garb and bling carbon. One explained they had 8 punctures on their way to and from the Chilterns. We was lucky on our cycle it seemed. Had a chuckle as they seemed to have a Andy ILB clone, well, two of them infact.

I got rather wet on the way home but wanted the miles so carried on to my office in Staines where by I stripped off and dried the clothing whilst munching into my favourite kebab houses delights and lotsa cuppas. Upon checking the mycyclinglog mileage, I noticed LukesDad had logged his days miles with a rather healthy amount, so I duly plotted a route to match this ( as you all know how competitive I am), however, I ended up on 103.30 miles, so 1.3 miles more, sorry!

But great day out, defo one for the mental hardening and great to see peeps again. Next week?? Were see...

lukesdad

Seeing as I shall probably attend another Sunday Ride ( before heading back west to Gods own country). Perhaps someone could suugest another route into town for me. I also want to head down into Sussex at some stage. So an alternative route to the A5 would be much appreciated.

Seeing as I shall probably attend another Sunday Ride ( before heading back west to Gods own country). Perhaps someone could suugest another route into town for me. I also want to head down into Sussex at some stage. So an alternative route to the A5 would be much appreciated.

I guess you sped quickly over the North Circular then Mark :biggrin:...and you didn't get shunted! The A5 is ok when the sun is out as everyone just boogies around, the air is full of spliff smoke and pothole dancing is the pastime of choice for the cyclist who has regard for the welfare of wheels.
Cutting across to Watford and down through Harrow Weald etc might do the trick - Adam may have an alternative as he can't help himself but ride inwards from those wild parts! Or the other way possibly, turn left at Elstree somewhere and drop into London via Barnet (Arkley is a nice bit but I'm no expert) Totteridge and Highgate etc.

Top Bottom