Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
how much overnight power do you use, that would discharge nearly 80% of your battery???

for ref: We used 1.9kwhs from 4:30pm ( when it went dark) to 7:00am ( when i entered my WFH office) this morning

It didn't get close to discharging, but it is the first time it has gone above 40% this year.

But we do use quite a bit in the evening at this time of year - it went from 80% at 4pm to 45% at midnight. Down to 26% at 8AM.

Our total daily consumption at this time of year varies from about 8kWh up to 18-19kWh, depending on things like laundry needs and whether a big batch of baking is done. Yesterday was 9.88kWh, today so far is 7.22.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It didn't get close to discharging, but it is the first time it has gone above 40% this year.

But we do use quite a bit in the evening at this time of year - it went from 80% at 4pm to 45% at midnight. Down to 26% at 8AM.

Our total daily consumption at this time of year varies from about 8kWh up to 18-19kWh, depending on things like laundry needs and whether a big batch of baking is done. Yesterday was 9.88kWh, today so far is 7.22.

man thats a lot of energy use, can see why you got the big battery.....max we used in anyday last year was 5.2kwh's ( before fitting solar)

Caveat : during march to november i probably do 90% of my cooking outside ( and around 10/15% of my cooking outside during winter. Xmas beef and roast ham, was cooked outside)

Alex321

Guru
man thats a lot of energy use, can see why you got the big battery.....max we used in anyday last year was 5.2kwh's ( before fitting solar)

Caveat : during march to november i probably do 90% of my cooking outside ( and around 10/15% of my cooking outside during winter. Xmas beef and roast ham, was cooked outside)

Yeah, we don't do any cooking outside.

We also usually are in separate rooms most of the evening, so that is at least two rooms being lit, often both with either TV or computer running (we like lot of different programs, so rarely watch anything together), or I might be in the garage running my woodturning lathe for up to an hour or so in the evening (only 750W but still quite noticeable).

Our total consumption per year is in the region of 3,900 kWh - but our system has generated 9,830 kWh since February 10th

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yeah, we don't do any cooking outside.

We also usually are in separate rooms most of the evening, so that is at least two rooms being lit, often both with either TV or computer running (we like lot of different programs, so rarely watch anything together), or I might be in the garage running my woodturning lathe for up to an hour or so in the evening (only 750W but still quite noticeable).

Our total consumption per year is in the region of 3,900 kWh - but our system has generated 9,830 kWh since February 10th

yeh we don't use separate rooms....if im watching the footy, the mrs will be on the ipad reading or shopping etc etc, but even then the additional tv is only 40watts in the bedroom in eco mode, if she does go up and want to watch a film/tv etc

Alex321

Guru
yeh we don't use separate rooms....if im watching the footy, the mrs will be on the ipad reading or shopping etc etc, but even then the additional tv is only 40watts in the bedroom in eco mode, if she does go up and want to watch a film/tv etc

Although our move in 2020 was mainly in order to downsize, we still live in a large (by modern standards) 4 bedroom detached house. About half the size of what we lived in before and about 400 years younger, but still uses more power than a smaller modern house.

Buck

Guru
That's what we had initially, plus ev charger. The guys were due back on Friday to fit a second battery but had a cancellation so are here today. Ours took a few hours one day for scaffolding, battery, inverter and ev charger went in before solar, solar took a day once everything arrived and then getting everything working was another visit (we needed some electrical work doing too).

What battery storage do you have now?

Buck

Guru
Similar here. Initial battery is a 9.5kw but can add to this later with upto 4 additional batteries so 47.5kW (!)

I can’t imagine vet need in that but who knows?! We discussed with the company about going for two and they suggested waiting to see what our usage and true needs were before committing.

The only slight downside is that it’ll be VATable later as not part of the initial install.

Hebe

getting better all the time
That’s a fair bit think I can add another 10 to mine that’s being installed to take me to 20kw .

We're fairly heavy users and the battery has proved invaluable in terms of storing any excess from our south facing panels. The plan is to switch tariff to something like Intelligent Octopus which will allow us to shift car charging to a much cheaper overnight tariff as well as topping up the batteries on that cheaper tariff when needed.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
3FB5C638-5E28-499E-939E-DC7CA25D9D39.jpeg

Batteries and inverter in the garage . All wiring done , just got to get panels on the roof

Top Bottom