Solar panels….?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
If they are getting the readings they will pay for it. I assume the last stage is 'we've credited you' or something.

I don't know when though.

Probably at the same time energy supplier create your usage bill, either monthly or quarterly. Then they will NET off your electric from their charging

CXRAndy

Guru
My initial enquiry with the DNO isn't very promising for my ambitions.

They have stated I can only generate upto10kW with me paying to upgrade their aging newtork back to the sub station if I would want more-I do :eek:

They basically ignored my questions on export limit figures and quoted G99 standards.

I think I'll need to make an official application for a G100 setup and await their response.

Buck

Guru
Partial good news for me.

The survey shows they can fit 9 panels on the south elevation (estimate was 4)

This means I need less on the west array - down to 11 from 20.
If I want to stay at 24 panels I will need a larger inverter due to the power generation.

I spoke to them on Friday and dropped to the 9 and 11 option.

Just waiting for them to be able to confirm supply dates.

My initial enquiry with the DNO isn't very promising for my ambitions.

They have stated I can only generate upto10kW with me paying to upgrade their aging newtork back to the sub station if I would want more-I do :eek:

They basically ignored my questions on export limit figures and quoted G99 standards.

I think I'll need to make an official application for a G100 setup and await their response.

Maybe check out OFGEN (or whoever) and check if they are supposed to have the infrastructure in place and are trying to hide their failure

It doesn;t seem reasonable to insist on domestic properties to upgrade their equipment

maybe writing to your MP might help?

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe check out OFGEN (or whoever) and check if they are supposed to have the infrastructure in place and are trying to hide their failure

It doesn;t seem reasonable to insist on domestic properties to upgrade their equipment

maybe writing to your MP might help?

DNO are going off G99 which is for installation greater than 16A per phase. It's a bit disappointing that there first response, if you want more, network improvement will be needed and I'm liable.

I've heard on some forums, that DNOs have varied attitudes to G100 installations too. If equipment is G100 compliant, has a certificate of conformity, then they should be forced to automatically accept the installation-subject to their feed in limit and proper equipment installation

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Now I've got all the paperwork for our installation I am looking at who wants to pay the most for the surplus we can't use or store in the battery.

We're on a lovely fixed price supply of gas & elec from Eon which lasts until the end of March 2023, so I do not want to be upsetting that applecart!

I understand though that we can flog the output to the highest bidder... Any top tips?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Now I've got all the paperwork for our installation I am looking at who wants to pay the most for the surplus we can't use or store in the battery.

We're on a lovely fixed price supply of gas & elec from Eon which lasts until the end of March 2023, so I do not want to be upsetting that applecart!

I understand though that we can flog the output to the highest bidder... Any top tips?

unless you switch suppliers, your stuck with E.ons 3p/kwh or you can get 5p/kwh from octopus.........i suppose you have to weigh up which is more important

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
unless you switch suppliers, your stuck with E.ons 3p/kwh or you can get 5p/kwh from octopus.........i suppose you have to weigh up which is more important

I think keeping the fixed rates over this winter will be more important than 2p/kwh! Thanks

jowwy

I think keeping the fixed rates over this winter will be more important than 2p/kwh! Thanks

i totally agree.......but you can still get the 5p/kwh if you dont switch - so in essence you gain 2p/kwh

but if like me, i switched to octopus on the 29th september, took the pain of a 1 day fixed rate before the price cap kicked in the next day......and now im going to get 15p/kwh for solar back to the grid.

I had the same problem
I am fixed with EDF and their rates were awful but it was a non-starter to switch supplier and the rates for other companies were not good for non supply companies
Then EDF introduced a much higher rate for supply customer

However, they seem to have been taken by surprise at the take up - and hence I have got intoa bit of aproblem getting it all sorted
But this may not be normal - looks like it wasn;t EDF's fault

You have to check out the current (sorry!!) rates and look at your fixed rate

It seems unlikely that anyone with an old fixed rate will better off by ditching their fixed rate to get a better SEG
unless they have a Tesla Powerwall possibly

But you just have to put it all together and work it out

Alex321

Guru

I'd stay where you are for those 6 months, then switch.

You can sell to whoever pays the most, but most will not pay much, and even the ones who pay decent amounts will only do so if you also take your supply from them.

jowwy

I'd stay where you are for those 6 months, then switch.

You can sell to whoever pays the most, but most will not pay much, and even the ones who pay decent amounts will only do so if you also take your supply from them.

then he would be switching to one of their Non-flexible rates and wont be protected from the price cap.

I did the same with octopus, but made sure it was only 1 day before the new price cap came in...so the very next day i was put on the flexible tariff and protected. I'm afraid the horse has bolted for 2yrs with the price cap guarantee and all you can now get is the low 3p or 5p offers from his own supplier or an external supplier without switching.

Alex321

Guru
then he would be switching to one of their Non-flexible rates and wont be protected from the price cap.

I did the same with octopus, but made sure it was only 1 day before the new price cap came in...so the very next day i was put on the flexible tariff and protected. I'm afraid the horse has bolted for 2yrs with the price cap guarantee and all you can now get is the low 3p or 5p offers from his own supplier or an external supplier without switching.

Sorry, wasn't necessarily clear. I didn't mean switch to another tariff from same supplier, I meant switch to whichever gives the best overall value.

If you are likely to be exporting a lot and importing little, that currently means Octopus Agile. But it all depends on individual usage patterns and generation capacity.

chris-suffolk

Über Member
Sorry, wasn't necessarily clear. I didn't mean switch to another tariff from same supplier, I meant switch to whichever gives the best overall value.

If you are likely to be exporting a lot and importing little, that currently means Octopus Agile. But it all depends on individual usage patterns and generation capacity.

I'm on the old system, 'Feed in Tariff', and can't get Octopus to take me, despite e-mails for over a month now. Guess I'll just have to stay where I am.

I'd love to get a solar setup for a small shed versus my home. Mainly because of expense. I have friends around me that are full solar and they swear by it. A lot of them are farmers and live in an area without a tree canopy. We live in the woods so it might be a bit more difficult for us.

I've been eyeing a portable wooden shed for a bike workshop and kayak storage and would love to solar power it!

Top Bottom