Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
This is my bad weather and sometimes good weather Raleigh. It has made in England on the top tube and I can barely see Nottingham England on a badly deteriorated sticker on the rear fender.

rsz_1rsz_1img_20130114_112503.jpg

The more I ride the more comfortable my Drop bar bike is becoming. I prefer the drop bar bike over this bike or my cruiser style "comfort" bike now, but the others are still fun and work different muscles. I am going to try and find a rack for this one and use it riding in the rain and making runs to the store and such. I am much more likely to ride in bad weather since I have this bike, so I consider it important for fitness riding. I thank my cousin Missy for giving me this AND a 70s or 80s era Peugeot drop bar bike, which is also a blast to ride but much too big for me. She was wanting to clean out her basement and knew I was getting into biking. She still has a small fleet of Cannondale mountain bikes but she didn't offer one of those. :rolleyes: Am I greedy or what? I am just kidding, I do appreciate her generosity.

I want to get into the vintage section here one day when I am ready to do some work on both of my older bikes, there are some pretty sharp people there that hopefully can even help someone like me :blink: with restoration questions. There is some good reading over there.

I hope I didn't get too far off topic for this thread but I think having back up bikes and weather options has helped my progress quite a bit over the past several months.

Apart from the handlebars it's the same as the bike I commuted to school on for 5 years.

Kins

Über Member
Stuck in the shop all day so besides my small commute didn't do anything. Looking at the weather outside I am proper glad because it was as miserable as sin all day. How was it up north for all you commuters, snow bad or did it not stick like down here?

RWright

Guru
Apart from the handlebars it's the same as the bike I commuted to school on for 5 years.

I did another 10 miles on it today. I got my first scalp ...well second... maybe, the first one depends on if you believe me or that mean little six year old girl down the street. I still say I had her, but it was close.
The scalp today was an adult, and a skinny one too and it was even a male! I don't care if he was on some mountain/hybrid thing, with the seat WAY too low. The Rain Unit and I got him fair and square! It was only like the second or third person I have ever seen out riding when I am, in either direction. Hopefully I get some street cred now. That is newbie progress! :thumbsup:

Kins

Über Member
I did another 10 miles on it today. I got my first scalp ...well second... maybe, the first one depends on if you believe me or that mean little six year old girl down the street. I still say I had her, but it was close.
The scalp today was an adult, and a skinny one too and it was even a male! I don't care if he was on some mountain/hybrid thing, with the seat WAY too low. The Rain Unit and I got him fair and square! It was only like the second or third person I have ever seen out riding when I am, in either direction. Hopefully I get some street cred now. That is newbie progress! :thumbsup:

Was he stopped having a wazz or taking a drink? Come on fess up! :whistle:

RWright

Guru
Was he stopped having a wazz or taking a drink? Come on fess up! :whistle:

I spotted him about a quarter mile ahead. I really just though WOW another cyclist, cool. I then noticed I was gaining very quickly. We were both riding outside the white line. I caught him so quickly he never knew I was there. I went out to the center of the lane when I overtook him and just said Howdy :laugh:. I think he was a little surprised but not startled, which is something I did not want to do. He replied, hi how are you doing. I smiled, said fine, then I let him eat my dust. :evil:

He seemed pleasant enough but he was going too slow for me to take much time. I was just warmed up and about two miles into my ride. He had a rucksack on and looked like some sort of commuter, although not a very experienced one by the looks of his bike set up.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
I spotted him about a quarter mile ahead. I really just though WOW another cyclist, cool. I then noticed I was gaining very quickly. We were both riding outside the white line. I caught him so quickly he never knew I was there. I went out to the center of the lane when I overtook him and just said Howdy :laugh:. I think he was a little surprised but not startled, which is something I did not want to do. He replied, hi how are you doing. I smiled, said fine, then I let him eat my dust. :evil:

He seemed pleasant enough but he was going too slow for me to take much time. I was just warmed up and about two miles into my ride. He had a rucksack on and looked like some sort of commuter, although not a very experienced one by the looks of his bike set up.

Isn't it great when that happens? Not often around here either. I mainly see cyclists heading in the opposite direction for some reason.

RWright

Guru
Isn't it great when that happens? Not often around here either. I mainly see cyclists heading in the opposite direction for some reason.

I rarely see any cyclist when and where I ride. I will see some once in a while when I am in the car. I have had one older gentleman catch up with me to chat and ride a few miles, some kid comes up once in a while and rides with me for a half mile or so when I go by his house. While driving I see some really pretty woman riding once in a while but have never seen her while I am riding. :sad: I do have a feeling I will see a few more people starting to ride this spring, how long they will stick with it is anyone's guess.

Sally McSorley

Regular
Was also thinking this early. Hopefully everything is all ok and is out with his camera getting some lovely wintery photos with his camera rather than riding.

I was wondering what has happened to him too as had not seen any strava activity from him, so I came on here to see if he had posted anything about why he is not cycling. Odd. Hope he is ok.

Sally McSorley

Regular
Just a general question - has anyone noticed how what they eat affects how they cycle? I have noticed that I find cycling easier in the mornings if I have a big bowl of porridge for breakfast as opposed to toast or other cereal types. Anyone else got any meal/food tips?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just a general question - has anyone noticed how what they eat affects how they cycle? I have noticed that I find cycling easier in the mornings if I have a big bowl of porridge for breakfast as opposed to toast or other cereal types. Anyone else got any meal/food tips?

Yes. I find the same. If I eat cereal or toast I seem to get a sugar dip about an hour later which feels horrible whereas the porridge seems to be a more gradual release.

If I'm not doing any more than an hour or so I prefer just to go out without breakfast and enjoy it when I get back.

Doing nothing at the moment as the temperatures are minus even during the day and roads not well gritted. Roll on the spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom