Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since I havent been using the lowest gear of 26th front and 28th rear, I have changed the two lowest gears from 28th and 24th to 26th and 23th (this is now back to the original ratios when I got the bike) to make it a little smoother in ratios.

Kins

Über Member
Nice ride today, lovely weather. Not cold, no wind just overcast. Did about 8 miles besides a couple more to shop and a couple more later round to my old mans. Loads of people out cycling today. Saw a lovely sight of a family all riding together. Dad and son on road bikes, and two younger daughters on hybrids (about 14, 10 and 8 I would guess) going a fair old lick down the main road.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well done Kins. Finally managed a ride myself this morning but had a really bad spell. Have had this before and hoping it is just caused by lack of fitness after a lay off. Started to feel nauseous and a bit faint and had to stop for ten minutes till it passed.

If anyone else has suffered anything similar or knows if there could be any other causes than purely lack of fitness I am all ears. It wasn't very pleasant. :sad:

Kins

Über Member
Well done Kins. Finally managed a ride myself this morning but had a really bad spell. Have had this before and hoping it is just caused by lack of fitness after a lay off. Started to feel nauseous and a bit faint and had to stop for ten minutes till it passed.

If anyone else has suffered anything similar or knows if there could be any other causes than purely lack of fitness I am all ears. It wasn't very pleasant. :sad:

I was exactly the same when I started. Mainly I put it down to trying to hard to fast. Make sure you eat and drink something before you go out, nothing heavy, I found this improved it greatly.

simmi

Über Member
Since I havent been using the lowest gear of 26th front and 28th rear, I have changed the two lowest gears from 28th and 24th to 26th and 23th (this is now back to the original ratios when I got the bike) to make it a little smoother in ratios.
I think like me you are a bit of a fiddler.;)

Changing to a compact crank was the best thing I have done, this allows me to use a close ratio cassette on the relatively flat roads around here.

If I plan a very hilly route it is just a 10 minute job to swap chain and cassette to give me a few extra teeth.

PhatSi

Hi All

Another newbie that has found this thread inspirational.

Today i started again with cycling. Last year I went out maybe a dozen times maximum and haven't been out for 4 months.

So today was my fresh start, 2 friends and I did 7.36 miles! Doesn't sound a lot really but to me it is. I am currently just over 22st. Last year I managed to lose 2 & 1/2 stone without exercising too much and now I am looking to kick on.

Details of the ride here... http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/117307940

I spent too much time walking up some hills but I will get better.

This is a great thread!

Cheers

Si

I think like me you are a bit of a fiddler.;)

Changing to a compact crank was the best thing I have done, this allows me to use a close ratio cassette on the relatively flat roads around here.

If I plan a very hilly route it is just a 10 minute job to swap chain and cassette to give me a few extra teeth.
Still a little worried about my fitness on the hills, got a bit of a climb planned out of Campsall up Woodfield Rd, so I will see how I get on, i should be ok, (I hope), i haven't got off and pushed the bike yet.

Hi All

Today i started again with cycling. Last year I went out maybe a dozen times maximum and haven't been out for 4 months.

So today was my fresh start, 2 friends and I did 7.36 miles! Doesn't sound a lot really but to me it is. I am currently just over 22st. Last year I managed to lose 2 & 1/2 stone without exercising too much and now I am looking to kick on.

This is a great thread!

Cheers

Si
It might not have been far as you say, but having riding once or twice over there, you have some steep climbs, so it will have given you some work out. Well done, just keep at it.

RWright

Guru
Hi All

This is a great thread!

Cheers

Si

Welcome PhatSi,
That is a nice ride just getting back into things. Even walking up hills is better than sitting on the sofa. :thumbsup:

simmi

Über Member
Hi All

This is a great thread!

Cheers

Si
Well done Mate,:bravo:

Keep it up, we all have our own level and at 22st 7.35 miles I would say was a good start.

Looking at your course I can see that it wasn't the flattest so think many would find themselves doing a bit of walking to start with.

Keep at it and soon you will be cycling all the way and think nothing of it. and you will be casting your eyes West for something more challenging.

simmi

Über Member
I completed my first 50 mile ride today. It took me 3:42 which isn't the quickest but I m 21st so I'm pleased with it. With 75 miles last week and 85 miles this week I'm back on track. The Christmas weight gain will be gone quickly

The last 5 miles were hard going but I got there :smile:

http://app.strava.com/activities/36249115
Well done mate:bravo: your first 50 miler is a huge milestone

Brink on the metric ton.

Reece

Veteran
Well after a long think today and a talk with the better half, I've decided to cancel the gym membership and use the money towards a turbo trainer.

So just ordered one from wiggle and hopefully be here Tuesday. Think the better half likes this idea more as I won't be out the house riding for most of my free time after work etc.

I completed my first 50 mile ride today. It took me 3:42 which isn't the quickest but I m 21st so I'm pleased with it. With 75 miles last week and 85 miles this week I'm back on track. The Christmas weight gain will be gone quickly

The last 5 miles were hard going but I got there :smile:

http://app.strava.com/activities/36249115
Well done Phil, riding quick isn't the best way to lose weight anyway, steady cycling is. Some nasty peaks in there as well. 8 p.b.'s too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom