Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I only commute Tuesday to Friday, so being the new year and only three days at work I thought I would push the commute to 20 miles each way. I won't get much cycling done this weekend and none on Monday,so might have to do the same next week.
Thats still some going in a week though, I only did that 8 times, from July to Dec last year.

Just couldn't make the magic 50 miles. managed 48.4. This sounds pathetic but I just couldn't push for the extra couple of miles. Had a slight headwind on the back 20 miles which really did for me. Now I have had some lunch, I have had a stern word with myself and next time...........

Sally McSorley

Regular
Just couldn't make the magic 50 miles. managed 48.4. This sounds pathetic but I just couldn't push for the extra couple of miles. Had a slight headwind on the back 20 miles which really did for me. Now I have had some lunch, I have had a stern word with myself and next time...........

I hate cycling in head winds! They really do slow you down and take it out of you don't they. I was quite happily cycling along last week through a sheltered area, came out of that into a headwind and it immediately knocked 6mph off my speed!

If that headwind was anything like what I rode in for a while I can understand. Very well done done in any invent.

simmi

Über Member
I hate cycling in head winds! They really do slow you down and take it out of you don't they. I was quite happily cycling along last week through a sheltered area, came out of that into a headwind and it immediately knocked 6mph off my speed!

I had the same yesterday, I had to ride harder to do 16mph into the wind as 21mph with it.

was not even that much of a wind really just a light breeze.

Sally McSorley

Regular
I had the same yesterday, I had to ride harder to do 16mph into the wind as 21mph with it.

was not even that much of a wind really just a light breeze.
Also, why is it that the wind always seem to either hit sideways or face on? I can't ever remember being pushed along by the wind and getting faster speeds! lol.

RWright

Guru

If this is today you can go back out after a rest...I think that is legal. Nice ride:thumbsup:

RWright

Guru
Also, why is it that the wind always seem to either hit sideways or face on? I can't ever remember being pushed along by the wind and getting faster speeds! lol.

The only time I remember having a tailwind I was really making great time, no wind sound in my ears, unusually quiet ride. I decided to do a few extra miles because I felt so strong and was making such good time. I had made dinner plans and was close on time when I left for my ride. When I turned around to head back and realized how strong the wind was I realized what had happened. I had to work way too hard to get back in time to go to dinner. :ohmy:

RWright

Guru
I just got in from a 10 miler. Not very fast today, another headwinds in both directions day. :sad:

Nigel, the links are not working for me for some reason, it takes me to Strava but says page does not exist. I did notice your two KOMS today. I will look at it closer going thru Strava.

I just got in from a 10 miler. Not very fast today, another headwinds in both directions day. :sad:

Nigel, the links are not working for me for some reason, it takes me to Strava but says page does not exist. I did notice your two KOMS today. I will look at it closer going thru Strava.
not working for me either, and I changed them to the segment page direct and that didn't work so sod it.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I thought I made a post here earlier about my ride this afternoon but it hasn't appeared, very odd!

Another strange piece of technological trickery was that after using my Garmin for the first time today, it stopped after me pedalling up a steep hill. I did feel some resistance whilst standing to pedal up the hill, perhaps my feet were knocking the cadence sensor. In any case I noticed about 1.5 miles later that the timer was not going and I restarted it. Unfortunately the 1.5 miles it missed were all downhill which spolit what would have been a good time! Strava and garmin connect just drew a straight line "as the crow flies" over the bit that it missed which I found a bit odd. Oh well.

http://app.strava.com/activities/35756043

I thought I made a post here earlier about my ride this afternoon but it hasn't appeared, very odd!

Another strange piece of technological trickery was that after using my Garmin for the first time today, it stopped after me pedalling up a steep hill. I did feel some resistance whilst standing to pedal up the hill, perhaps my feet were knocking the cadence sensor. In any case I noticed about 1.5 miles later that the timer was not going and I restarted it. Unfortunately the 1.5 miles it missed were all downhill which spolit what would have been a good time! Strava and garmin connect just drew a straight line "as the crow flies" over the bit that it missed which I found a bit odd. Oh well.

http://app.strava.com/activities/35756043
Happened to me yesterday as well, if you use sporttracks you can correct the track, though some data will remain incorrect, the overall speed should be correct.
I also had problems posting my strava links yesterday, it was saying page did not exist.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Only 7 miles this morning. LBS adviced me to changed the big ring on the front and the chain today, so will lose some riding time soon, though will commute on our lasses Dawes, it is bloody heavy so I will only be doing the straight route to work, but hopefully it will be only for a couple of days

Only 7 miles this morning. LBS adviced me to changed the big ring on the front and the chain today, so will lose some riding time soon, though will commute on our lasses Dawes, it is bloody heavy so I will only be doing the straight route to work, but hopefully it will be only for a couple of days
Front ring a 5 min job if like for like, chain about 15, mind it might give me some chance to get some miles on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom