Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A love of hills isn't far away Nigel. It took me a good while then I suddenly started attacking some of the small lumps.. Now I attack everything! :hyper:
I am doing this, also on some of the longer ones if me speed drops, though its judging what energy you have to complete the ride, and be worn out enough to have made the ride worth while, as opposed to just doing it and feeling fine.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I am doing this, also on some of the longer ones if me speed drops, though its judging what energy you have to complete the ride, and be worn out enough to have maybe the ride worth while, as opposed to just doing it and feeling fine.

Famously defined as 'burning matches in your matchbook' :smile: you have a limited amount, its just a case of sharing them out, and increasing fitness to have more of them.

I find it a really useful analogy when trying to control my enthusiasm on group rides.

Famously defined as 'burning matches in your matchbook' :smile: you have a limited amount, its just a case of sharing them out, and increasing fitness to have more of them.

I find it a really useful analogy when trying to control my enthusiasm on group rides.
I have found this last week or so ( also bear in mind the rides have been shorter) that what I have to do in the morning, (back to the regular Friday Morning run to the hospital) is a steep downhill and then this climb, it's not much but first thing I never looked forward to it, it doesn't bother me quite so.
I just created a segment where I am KOM out of 2. ^_^
It is effected by traffic lights the times though.
http://app.strava.com/segments/3160239

flatflr

Guru
Had a bit of a quiet Nov and Dec due to business trips. But spent 5 days up in Wales over the new year and managed 3 rides totalling 42 miles on the roads with my MTB. I'm going to be working away for most of Jan (good or bad depending on how you see it) so will have to make the most of the hotel gym, but should be able to save enough to get myself a road bike for the summer:smile:

I'm still happy riding the flats, though saying that, I shot by a bike tonight on a bit of a climb, first time I have ever gone by anyone on any sort of incline.
Well your quicker than me on the flat, I have only ever had 6 rides faster 15mph avg, all but one with about 25ft per climbing, the other was 40ft, and that was back on the 15 Sept.

Edit,
Since Oct it's usually been 50ft + per mile some more one or two were less., though Dec fell back a little, and that contributed to the fall back in speed, the winds didn't help either

simmi

Über Member
Nigel, I have only just noticed your mycyclinglog goal for the year,

6000 mile, or 500 miles a month, or 6 rides of 20 miles every week!:eek:

Going to take some doing but I am sure you will make it.:thumbsup:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well your quicker than me on the flat, I have only ever had 6 rides faster 15mph avg, all but one with about 25ft per climbing, the other was 40ft, and that was back on the 15 Sept.

Edit,
Since Oct it's usually been 50ft + per mile some more one or two were less., though Dec fell back a little, and that contributed to the fall back in speed, the winds didn't help either

I slowed down last night and this morning. I am starting to feel the miles this week. Should hit 150 miles for the year by tonight.

Sally McSorley

Regular
Happy new year everyone! Hope everyone is full of cycling resolutions :smile: I had to have some time off in Nov/Dec due to a hamstring injury, so slowed right down, but am now pain free and starting to build up a few miles again. Its amazing how quickly fitness deteriorates after a month or so off! My average speed is down and the rides feel a lot harder. Am slowly getting my fitness back though and starting to enjoy it again, and as always, strava proves to be a good motivator. What would we do without it! :smile: I am even considering upgrading to premium. Anyone else upgraded or thinking of it?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Oh! Have also ordered a turbo trainer so I can get some miles in after work too and when the weather is rubbish (which seems to be frequently in sussex). Can't wait to give it a go, should be arriving next week.
get a big fan! and a towel :smile: Some hate turbo's but I love mine.. you need to set up an area with lots of distractions. Music, video, TV something like that.

let us all know how you get on

Happy new year everyone! Hope everyone is full of cycling resolutions :smile: I had to have some time off in Nov/Dec due to a hamstring injury, so slowed right down, but am now pain free and starting to build up a few miles again. Its amazing how quickly fitness deteriorates after a month or so off! My average speed is down and the rides feel a lot harder. Am slowly getting my fitness back though and starting to enjoy it again, and as always, strava proves to be a good motivator. What would we do without it! :smile: I am even considering upgrading to premium. Anyone else upgraded or thinking of it?
Happy New Year Sally, and thanks for the kudos, compared with your speeds mines always down :smile:, if something like strava was around when I was younger I might not have given up, I could go anywhere then, didn't bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom