Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Well done and what a lovely present! You have put my mere 13 miles to shame, but it was nice to get out, especially on such lovely quiet roads.

Thank you! 13 miles is good though, especially on Christmas day. You should be proud of yourself. :smile: Yes the roads were lovely and quiet for me too even though I was out in the late afternoon. It was the first time I've ever been out on my bike and not seen another cyclist!

Nice one mate.

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for about 30miles. Weather forecast doesn't look to bad so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you mate. The hour by hour forecast for here says rain every hour bar 11am so I am hoping a little window will open up so I can get out, even if it's just for a few miles.

Kins

Über Member
Off out now for an hour or so depending on how my step bro copes. Rain stopped, wind low and no bugger about so we'll see how we do.

*Twas a lovely ride. Like riding at 4am. Hardly any cars, no wind no noise and my step bro did ok so he's well happy.

RWright

Guru
Well done and what a lovely present! You have put my mere 13 miles to shame, but it was nice to get out, especially on such lovely quiet roads.

I only got in 10 miles so you got me by 30% today :smile:

It was nice without much traffic around, wish I would have had more time but I took off without lights, been doing some fettling, and had to get back before dark.

simmi

Über Member
:snowball: Seasons greetings to you all:snowball:

Well done to anyone who went for a ride yesterday, that is real dedication to the cause.
You have my respect:bravo:

Had to get out today and blow away the cobwebs, way too much Christmas dinner, quality street, bucks fizz, beer etc. etc. you know the score!

http://app.strava.com/activities/34030271

Nice ride, calm, a bit of sun and warm enough, roads were wet but not flooded.

25.3 miles in 1:29:31, 17.0mph average speed.

Pleased with this as it is my first ride in the seventeens.

Back to work on nights tomorrow so don't think I will get another chance for a few days.

Reece

Veteran
:snowball: Seasons greetings to you all:snowball:

Well done to anyone who went for a ride yesterday, that is real dedication to the cause.
You have my respect:bravo:

Had to get out today and blow away the cobwebs, way too much Christmas dinner, quality street, bucks fizz, beer etc. etc. you know the score!

http://app.strava.com/activities/34030271

Nice ride, calm, a bit of sun and warm enough, roads were wet but not flooded.

25.3 miles in 1:29:31, 17.0mph average speed.

Pleased with this as it is my first ride in the seventeens.

Back to work on nights tomorrow so don't think I will get another chance for a few days.

Nice one Simmi! Top job on getting 17mph avg that is some going.

RWright

Guru
Very nice ride simmi....something tells me that simmi is probably athletic and is in pretty good shape :thumbsup:
I am working on it but still have quite a ways to go.

It quit raining here late this evening but the roads were still wet so I took out "the Rain Unit" an old Raleigh (Made in England..late 70's I think). The seat is way too low and tilted too far forward but I still had fun riding it. The Sturmey Archer three speed hubs have always seemed very cool to me. I didn't put lights on it before I left so my ride was short,to beat the darkness. About 7 miles but seemed like more with the seat so low, was a nice quick little workout.

simmi

Über Member
Nice one Simmi! Top job on getting 17mph avg that is some going.
Cheer Reece, still a bit behind you I think^_^

Very nice ride simmi....something tells me that simmi is probably athletic and is in pretty good shape :thumbsup:
I am working on it but still have quite a ways to go.

Cheers RWright, you wouldn't have said that if you has seen me just before my 43rd Birthday in August,I am just shy of 6ft and my weight was 227lb and I had done no sport other than golf for over a decade.

So anyway have exercised 6 times a week without fail (either crosstrainer, cycling, running or golf) and watched my diet. :hungry:
My weight is now 195lb and I feel fit for the first time in years.

In my younger days I was very sporty, which may or may not help but I think it is more to do with my single minded approach to changing my lifestyle for the better

The wife would use the expression "complete obsession" rather than "single minded" and I guess she might be right,:thumbsup:

Reece

Veteran
Cheer Reece, still a bit behind you I think^_^
Not sure about that, I can't manage 17mph avg yet. Think 15.5mph avg has been my best. I've just got the distance factor lol.

simmi

Über Member
Not sure about that, I can't manage 17mph avg yet. Think 15.5mph avg has been my best. I've just got the distance factor lol.

Yeah distance and elevation make a huge difference to my average speed on my four 50 plus rides 15.0 mph is the quickest I have managed and on a ride of 52 miles with 3221ft of elevation and 3 cat. 4 hills my average speed dropped to 13.9mph.

defy-one

I've decided whatever the weather tomorrow, I am going for a ride in the morning. Also I think I have decided on my road bike, going to go for a Specialized Allez Elite, though I still need to lose at least another stone before I can treat myself.

Target based treats ... like it :smile:

Well I hope everyone had a nice break or not, I took a little while off, been doing some pictures, anyway I went out this aft for a short ride, basically to check out the cadence sensor Santa brought, anyway I got 7 p.b.'s but what did surprise me where the speeds I was doing the sections on, the overall ride wasn't very long, which helped, I also tackled a short but steep climb and joy of joy's I finally managed to get back up to an avg of 14mph.
http://app.strava.com/activities/34224191

Yeah distance and elevation make a huge difference to my average speed on my four 50 plus rides 15.0 mph is the quickest I have managed and on a ride of 52 miles with 3221ft of elevation and 3 cat. 4 hills my average speed dropped to 13.9mph.
Still quicker than me by loads. Hope you had a good xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom