Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Think a lot of the motivation for me has come from this thread. Seeing what others have achieved has spurred me on to challenge myself and see what can be done.

I can't wait for next year to come.

I agree, it's good to compare to unknown folks around us.
My target is not as ambitious as yours Reece, I just want to complete the Shakespeare100 in April, after that I am not sure.

defy-one

your not a newbie once you have ...

had a puncture
can cycle without a break for 90 minutes
complete 20 miles in under 2 hours
had a clipless moment
been honked at by a car
been nodded at by a roadie going in the opposite direction

Reece

Veteran

had a puncture
had a clipless moment
been honked at by a car
I'm still a newb then lol. Had all of the above except a clipless moment ((touch wood).

Reece

Veteran
I agree, it's good to compare to unknown folks around us.
My target is not as ambitious as yours Reece, I just want to complete the Shakespeare100 in April, after that I am not sure.
Also debating whether to do the Shakespeare 100 next year. Will happily ride it with you Brian if you like.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I've had a week off he bike due to work committments and a weekend in Toulouse watching Heineken cup rugby.

I'm off work tomorrow and will be hitting the roads again. I need it after the rugby trip. Tomorrow's ride could be a challenge.

I did pay a visit to Box Hill on our way to Gatwick so know what's in tore for me on the London100. Better get the mileage up again :smile:

had a puncture
had a clipless moment
been honked at by a car
Ok I am still a newb, can manage a yes to all but the clipless As I haven't gone clipless yet!

Edit;
Ok maybe still a fully fledged newbie as I remember having a break before 90 were up!

shakespeare 100?

I'm often in Coventry, and stratford upon avon isn't far
You know it makes sense!

http://www.shakespeare100.org.uk/

Reece

Veteran
I would be happy to hang off your back wheel, I was going alone but would love some company and encouragement.
I'll get myself booked in for I then. More than welcome to use my slipstream lol (although there is more meat on a butchers pencil than me haha)

had a puncture
had a clipless moment
been honked at by a car
Puncture was more a slow leak (though I did have a rear tube well two, blow because the canvas was thread bear), cant have a clipless, though I nearly get the same effect in my clips. I cant say I have ever been honked at, though someone threw a can of coke at me in Kent in 2008 hit the headstock.
But I can do the other two, though the 90 mins is less often at the mo. Just because I can do a lot of miles safely on the whole, doesn't mean I am very good.

RWright

Guru
I did another 16 miler on my regular track today. As soon I turned the corner and started the Garmin the wind hit me pretty hard in the face. It seemed like I was going slow even down hills. I had just topped off my tire pressure but looked down anyway to check them. My first climb was 2 gears lower than normal. I could tell it was going to be a long ride.

I wasn't feeling strong at all so I just was spinning and even coasting down the hills. :thumbsup: My radio reception was crappy and I couldn't pick up the game I wanted to listen to. After half way I was feeling somewhat better and picked up my pace some, then about a mile from home..... the dreaded puncture fairy paid me a visit. I knew I should not have mentioned the p word in a thread earlier today. I was able to get the tube replaced without much trouble, I have fixed quite a few of them now, so I guess I am not a puncture newb anymore. CO2 inflators are a nice thing.

I think I have done all the things in the newbie list but
I still feel I have a ways to go before my riding newbness is over. :smile:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Got out today and it was great. 14 miles in just over an hour. It was a bit icy. Nearly lost the back wheel twice so slowed down on the downhill roads.

The Taff trail was like glass in parts and that was at 3pm.

Getting out will be difficult in the lead up to Christmas so I'll take what I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom