Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Well done Nigel, 3000 miles in half a year is an amazing effort.:bravo:
You have done so well this year I don't know how you can better it next.
I am guessing you will reset your mycyclelog on Jan 1st what will your 2013 target be?

Well done Nigel, 3000 miles in half a year is an amazing effort.:bravo:
You have done so well this year I don't know how you can better it next.
I am guessing you will reset your mycyclelog on Jan 1st what will your 2013 target be?
Thanks, not sure yet.

RWright

Guru
Great riding Nigel ! That is a lot of miles. :thumbsup:

Buzzinonbikes, good luck on your club run, I bet you have a great time.:dance:

I was at the web site of the only LBS in my town, a nice little shop that caters more to the mountain bike riders, at least that is what I figured, judging by the store inventory, but very friendly and helpful. I had them true a wheel for me that I could not get quite right.

While I was snooping around the site I saw a rides link. I was expecting to see a lot of MTB rides listed. To my surprise I found three weekly Road rides, all on different days. :ohmy: One of the rides is 18-20 MPH ride...I think I will pass on that one for now. Another is an 8 mile all level ride followed by another 20 miles or so with 15-17 MPH riders.

This third one sounds really good to me for starting out. No-drop beginner/recovery road ride – 14 miles. An out and back ride with only long gradual grades. It says it is led by several experienced cyclist, ride at your own pace and someone always stays back with the last rider. This sounds to me like it would be good riders on a recovery ride. I think that might be a great way to learn to ride in a group. I don't think I would slow them down enough to really bother anyone and it is only 14 miles if it did. I know the area well enough (the church they start from is only about three miles from my house), that even if they did want to go faster I wouldn't mind one bit, in fact I would prefer it.

I normally prefer to ride alone just for the convenience of it but next year I may consider doing a little group riding myself.

Great riding Nigel ! That is a lot of miles. :thumbsup:
Thanks, I dont think I could manage 15-17mph for 14 miles at the mo, the distance is no problem, my avg's are so far this month

Dec 12.86 mph 31.09 miles 1256ft
Nov 12.88 mph 35.87 miles 1734ft
Oct 13.40 mph 32.96 miles 1614ft
Sep 14.03 mph 26.84 miles 922ft
Aug 14.03 mph 27.03 mies 847ft
July 12.07 mph 24.59 miles 840ft
and the 4 rides in June
Jun 10.75 mph 20.62 miles 675fft
the figure in ft is the avg elevation gain per ride.

Well done on the distance Nigel.
Thanks Brian. I wish it had been today weather wise, I cant get out today, bit tired a xmasy things to do (tree ect).
Santa got to collect one of my presents latter, just need checking it works first. First time she's bought me anything for the bike, and what's more she's actually telling people she know how far I have done and the weight loss.
Have you got anything planned today.

Unfortunately my wife is not herself today, so I can't leave her to look after the boys as one of them is under the weather as well. Maybe a quick blast tomorrow if they are all better otherwise it will have to wait till Monday between school contracts (weather permitting).

simmi

Über Member
http://app.strava.com/activities/31440319

Great to be out again:excl:
On nights tonight so kept it quite short at 40K in 1:32:13, 16.2 mph
Garmin connect keeps a record of your personal records on your dashboard so was pleased to see I had beaten my previous best 40K time.
It was my first ride in over a week and also my first since I changed my cassette, the ride was flat so didn't use my new lower gears (24T and 28T) but was pleased how the others felt, I could tell I had bigger gaps between some of my gears than before but I was not bothered by this as some seemed a bit too close anyway.

http://app.strava.com/activities/31440319

Great to be out again:excl:
On nights tonight so kept it quite short at 40K in 1:32:13, 16.2 mph
Garmin connect keeps a record of your personal records on your dashboard so was pleased to see I had beaten my previous best 40K time.
It was my first ride in over a week and also my first since I changed my cassette, the ride was flat so didn't use my new lower gears (24T and 28T) but was pleased how the others felt, I could tell I had bigger gaps between some of my gears than before but I was not bothered by this as some seemed a bit too close anyway.
You can make up your own ratio's, quite easy. Just take the pins out out that hold the sprockets together, and then place on the hub, large to small, work on a ratio of 10-15% between gears, eg 11-13 is 15% 19-21 is 10%, I have a road biased high end and a lower (touring/MTB) low end, though at 28 its not too low.

simmi

Über Member
You can make up your own ratio's, quite easy. Just take the pins out out that hold the sprockets together, and then place on the hub, large to small, work on a ratio of 10-15% between gears, eg 11-13 is 15% 19-21 is 10%, I have a road biased high end and a lower (touring/MTB) low end, though at 28 its not too low.

Yeah cheers Nigel, I think I might change my high range with a 52T gearring don't tend to use the 11T or 12T too much so could drop them out and add a 14T and 16T to give me 13,14,15,16,17,19,21,24,28 instead. I have got a BBB 11/12/14/16/18/20/24/28/32 cassette I got cheap on ebay which when combined with the BBB 11/12/13/15/17/19/21/24/28 I have now fitted to my bike give me a huge number of options.
I may just be a case of experimenting a bit for a while.

Yeah cheers Nigel, I think I might change my high range with a 52T gearring don't tend to use the 11T or 12T too much so could drop them out and add a 14T and 16T to give me 13,14,15,16,17,19,21,24,28 instead. I have got a BBB 11/12/14/16/18/20/24/28/32 cassette I got cheap on ebay which when combined with the BBB 11/12/13/15/17/19/21/24/28 I have now fitted to my bike give me a huge number of options.
I may just be a case of experimenting a bit for a while.
You will need a locking high gear sprocket . so if thats 11th you will need to retain this and go 11/13 you can get 13th ones mine is but its a 7sp, I do have a 12, but it will upset the ratios to much.

simmi

Über Member
You will need a locking high gear sprocket . so if thats 11th you will need to retain this and go 11/13 you can get 13th ones mine is but its a 7sp, I do have a 12, but it will upset the ratios to much.
I was just thinking about that, they make the cassette with a 13T high gear so will be able to get one somewhere.

Reece

Veteran
Great job on the 3k Nigel.

I went out today after not ridden for 2 weeks. Went out with the 9am club run but a few of us planned to carry on when the others stopped at the cafe. A route was devised last night coming in at 91miles for me :ohmy: (best to date was 60miles 2 weeks ago).

We went out and was feeling good.Met Jason on route and cycled to the meeting point. One of our mates didn't turn up due to issues at home but Wayne turned up with his 15yo daughter. 30miles in and we'd reached the cafe. Unfortunately Wayne's daughter was struggling so they decided to stop at the cafe and head back with the others. Ma and Jason decided to carry on as the weather was so good for December. We used the cafe toilet and off we went. Feeling good most of the way until the 60mile mark. Fatigue struck and groin was aching so we slowed a bit. 70mile mark and Jason got a puncture. Another puncture for Jason at 85miles and as we set off after this repair disaster struck!

I'd been hearing a clicking noise from the bike from 60miles on but this time the chain snapped with 5 miles to og. Luckily I carry a chain link tool with me at all times. Really peed off about it though as the ?Defy 2 is only 5 weeks old and hasn't been out since the health check last week. A visit to the klocal giant dealer Monday is in order. Managed the last 5 miles with no hiccups.

Only other problem is my friend Strava upload states he has done 3100ft of elevation whereas mine is only 2100ft?? The Garmin devices read the same just not the uploads?

Here's the link http://app.strava.com/activities/31473527

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom