Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
No, it's worse than the story, not mentioned is one was knocked out and a broken shoulder.
This is the club that I want to ride out with when I get fitter .

Seems like you might be the one that will be fitter by staying off that ice. :smile: I hope they get healed up soon.

Maybe it will warm up soon for you. It has been nice here, I have been riding in shorts and a couple of t shirts and fingerless gloves. I will take it while it is here. The weather can change very quickly this time of year here.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Seems like you might be the one that will be fitter by staying off that ice. :smile: I hope they get healed up soon.

Maybe it will warm up soon for you. It has been nice here, I have been riding in shorts and a couple of t shirts and fingerless gloves. I will take it while it is here. The weather can change very quickly this time of year here.

I am jealous of your weather - now sleeting hard here with our little garden thermometer (it's the thermometer that's little, the garden is quite big) reading -3C.

Fitting my new Swisstop blocks will be the nearest I get to cycling today.

Well I got, around the icy roads of Darrington and Womersley, for got my tyre levers (only time ever) yea you guessed it. I got the bike to Sycle Solutions in Little Smeaton, and no culprit could be found, so maybe the valve, and a 2nd tube had a leak (though I fixed that one), anyway my spare spare was ok, though it's time for a new tyre I think.
I managed a very poor 20 miles, I will look later to see if there are any p.b.'s but I doubt it, in the winds I had.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well I got, around the icy roads of Darrington and Womersley, for got my tyre levers (only time ever) yea you guessed it. I got the bike to Sycle Solutions in Little Smeaton, and no culprit could be found, so maybe the valve, and a 2nd tube had a leak (though I fixed that one), anyway my spare spare was ok, though it's time for a new tyre I think.
I managed a very poor 20 miles, I will look later to see if there are any p.b.'s but I doubt it, in the winds I had.

Well 20 very poor miles is 20 miles nearer that 3000!

Well 20 very poor miles is 20 miles nearer that 3000!
Thanks, I had hoped to do 30+'s to complete it tomorrow as it stands I have a 45 mile ride to do, not a problem in itself just that the front tyre is a little thread bear and I cant replace before the morning really, as I have to go out first thing, I will check the tube it might have been the valve, got at least one tube to repair.
Edit, yea I got one, nothing great but still one, what's more not bottom of the pile either.
http://app.strava.com/activities/31211957#534286370

RWright

Guru
I took the day off. I received some bike goodies that I had ordered so I will be doing some bike maintenance and fettling tonight. I hope I used the word fettling correctly, I had never remembered hearing or seeing that word until I started reading these forums. It is a cool word and now I get to use it on my friends to make them feel inferior. ;)

Some of my newbie progress has also been in the care and maintenance of bikes on the road and at home. I still have a long way to go before I would feel comfortable doing a lot of the mechanical, but it is interesting to me to learn. I know a lot of people would not agree with that. As long as the maintence is done doesn't really matter who does it. I think riders do need to know how to do emergency roadside repairs and be prepared for them.

Nigel, bummer about your tire levers. The same type thing happened to me the other night, with my handlebars coming loose at the stem and not having the right size allen key with me to tighten them.

RWright

Guru
Well this is what I plan to do today (Fri 7th Dec) if I complete it I should have totalled more than 300 miles since June the 23rd.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1974669
Mind you with the forecast I am not sure.

That is a good amount of miles in that period. I don't plan to reach my 2000 mile goal now, my Dr. made me stay off the bike for a couple of weeks right after I set the goal at the beginning of August. I thought about going for it hard this month but I have just a little too many other things I need to take care of. I will set my goal at 3000 or 4000 next year. Probably 4000.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As much as I love living up here in Scotland I am ever so slightly jealous of your slightly milder weather down south. Been snow showers and almost constant frost here for days now and looking like continuing for the foreseeable future. I can hear the cars crunching along my street at the moment. Bad enough just trying to get the dog out without falling on your bum.

Have almost resigned myself to having to start all over again once the worst of the winter is over :sad:

That is a good amount of miles in that period. I don't plan to reach my 2000 mile goal now, my Dr. made me stay off the bike for a couple of weeks right after I set the goal at the beginning of August. I thought about going for it hard this month but I have just a little too many other things I need to take care of. I will set my goal at 3000 or 4000 next year. Probably 4000.
December is always bad for time, I dont have much in the way of family so I will have some time.
You have done really well just recently Rocky so keep it up.
Bikes arn't rocket science, somethings have changed, but really only the shifters, the rest is pretty much the same as when I was a kid, I was building my own bikes at 14, well not the frames, but all the bits.
As much as I love living up here in Scotland I am ever so slightly jealous of your slightly milder weather down south. Been snow showers and almost constant frost here for days now and looking like continuing for the foreseeable future. I can hear the cars crunching along my street at the moment. Bad enough just trying to get the dog out without falling on your bum.

Have almost resigned myself to having to start all over again once the worst of the winter is over :sad:
I used to live on Skye so I can understand, but as most roads were at sea level, they were clear most of the time, and it was much warmer because of the Gulf stream.

Buzzinonbikes

Off out on my first club run tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the weather! Bit daunted by the fact that because I'm staying at the other half's place so will be doing 12 miles even before the start of play! Probs get there early for a brew and biscuit I suspect

Good luck Nigel. Some achievement that.

Paul
Thanks Paul.
Well I did it, not my favourite ride, no p.b.'s a few 2nd's but only because it was the second time did those stretches ^_^. Though I was pleased with this 4th timing, and the tyre held out.
http://app.strava.com/activities/31342215#535383920
because it was after this 2 3/4 mile section with 8 mph headwinds.
http://app.strava.com/activities/31342215?segment_created=true#535416553.
As it turns out its my 8th longest ride.
http://app.strava.com/activities/31342215

Nigel, what a result mate! :thumbsup:
You have really put some effort in.

Thanks Davey, I actually hurt today (and before anyone pipes up I do hurt other times), it wasn't cold but that wind out of the N.W. for the first 17 miles and a good chunk of the last 8 miles. This chart shows Head/tailwinds with temp. The jump in temp is from going into hospital and coming out 1 1/2 hrs later.
2012 - Adjusted Temperature.png
and this shows elevation and speed.
Cycling Pontefract 07-12-2012, Elevation.png .
and this is my speed with a moving avg, I never got over an avg of 14mph, but it was increasing in the latter half.
Overlay 07-12-2012.png

I want to say thanks to all, for the inspiration, you have given me, and all the kind comments.
Edit having check the data in Sporttracks it turns out according to climbybike to be my 5th most difficult ride that I have recorded, that I didn't expect, nor did it feel like it bar the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom