Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyM

Über Member
The 30 miles meant I've ridden 501 miles since 22nd Sept.

I also started to log my miles on the 22nd Sept and today broke the big 500 mile barrier.

So well done :wahhey:

Reece

Veteran
Well, I did a great ride today, 64.3 miles :bravo:
did involve a stop at a cafe for coffee and cake :becool:.

Well done to all you good folks again, there are some great motivational tales on here
Nice one Dave, So that's the metric century done then. Also well done on the mileage milestone.

Hopefully I should break the 500 milestone tomorrow or be very close.

NickJ95GB

did 66 miles today through from Rhyl to Betws-Y-Coed through llanfair thwith 4 hill climbs - 2 moderate, 1 very long and shallow and the other at over 15 degrees for i'd guess 2+ miles. managed to get up that last hill on my second attempt without stopping and averaged 6.5mp/h up it, and did a sprint finish at 16mp/h :biggrin: insanely hard, and very happy considering last time out on my hybrid i stopped about 5 times, then it poured with rain. I've made it my goal to do that saturdays and sundays, gonna bloody kill me. 200km a weekend, then hoping to do another 14 or 21 miles during the week, depending on time to boost it to over 150 miles a week.

NickJ95GB

did 66 miles today through from Rhyl to Betws-Y-Coed through llanfair thwith 4 hill climbs - 2 moderate, 1 very long and shallow and the other at over 15 degrees for i'd guess 2+ miles. managed to get up that last hill on my second attempt without stopping and averaged 6.5mp/h up it, and did a sprint finish at 16mp/h :biggrin: insanely hard, and very happy considering last time out on my hybrid i stopped about 5 times, then it poured with rain. I've made it my goal to do that saturdays and sundays, gonna bloody kill me. 200km a weekend, then hoping to do another 14 or 21 miles during the week, depending on time to boost it to over 150 miles a week.
too hard! reducing it to betws-y-coed on saturdays, llandudno on sundays for now

Reece

Veteran
Another 53mile club run today. Just uploaded route to Strava and found I've got my first podium place, 3rd on a segment woohoo lol!

http://app.strava.com/activities/27505069

Weather was beautiful. Started off a bit chilly but sun was out the whole way and quite warm in the sun.

Well after my horror week the week before last where everything that could've gone wrong did I'm all recovered and the bike is now rideable again it was nice to get out on a sunny November morning! Managed 20 miles mainly flat thru the lanes and some quiet picturesque villages in just under 90 mins. My aim is to cover at least 100 miles per week heading into the new year....that is if something else don't hold me back lol!

Great progress by all, keep it up!

Devonshiredave

This is a thread I'll keep coming back to. Talk about inspirational. I picked up my new road bike about a week and a half ago now and have been out three times since then. The first ride out was to be about 12 miles to get a feel for the new steed. A momentary lapse in concentration saw me take my first spill since I was about 15! No real harm done, a few minor scratches on the levers and rear mech and a bit of road rash to my right knee and elbow. Lesson #1, pay attention! I cut the ride short to 8.5 miles.
Went out yesterday, determined to put some miles on her but was on a time constraint, so rode out about 7 miles or so and turned tail and came back. 4 PB's on strava. Very happy but another clumsy manoeuvre left me fighting to keep the bike on the road. Lesson #2, be gentle with it!
So, today. Gorgeous day, can't resist the temptation. 20 miles. I decided to ride the commute to work. Now I know it's 12 miles each way, but I was going to turn tail at 10 miles and bag the 20. In the end, feeling pretty good, I rolled into the car park at work, 12 miles in 46 minutes. Quick dismount to get some blood flow to the now numb seating area. Back on the bike and home. The return was almost immediately harder going. After about 15 miles, I didn't have a lot left and things were getting decidedly achy!. Right tricep, quads, posterior. Rule #5 Dave, rule #5!
It wasn't easy, but I've now done my commute, albeit in a single run. I'd previously cycled the home run on the MTB in late August and it near killed me. I think it timed at about 70 minutes. Today was about 57 mins. I think the bike needs some adjusting in the set up, but I loved this ride. The smell of the trees, the buzzard I saw, the sunshine. What a buzz.
http://app.strava.com/activities/27501116

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Once again, great stories everyone. :smile:

The last 10 days have been incredibly busy and hectic for me, I've barely had time to use the turbo trainer let alone get out on the open road. So today I decided to go for a really long run. Everything was going brilliantly for the first 32 miles, I had averaged 16mph (my best ever) and not stopped apart from junctions. Then suddenly.......bam. I hit the wall. :sad: I used my remaining food but it didn't help. I was 15 miles from home and there was no quicker way back so I just had to struggle home. Average speed plummeted and I had to stop more often than I have since I first started cycling. But I made it home eventually:

http://app.strava.com/activities/27525449

Lesson learned, bring more food next time! I only took two cereal bars and one of those small bags of haribo that wiggle put in with their orders. That's only about 350 calories. By my calculations I burned around 3,000 calories on that ride. The human body can only hold around 1500-2000 calories of glycogen at once so obviously the sums don't add up and not being an athlete my body isn't too good at insta-burning fat reserves evidently!

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Hope you've all got out this weekend. I had Thursday and Friday off work and thanks to a very supportive wife I've spend even more time on the bike. Over the last 4 days I've ridden 86 miles. My average speed is increasing (13.5 mph today) and I'm not feeling the aches and pains as I used to after the rides. Only lost 1lb this week so still slightly over 21st.

The last 6 weeks have changed my life. I never thought I would have the motivation to get out in all weather and in the evening after work. I have surprised myself. My motivation is to be ready to ride the London 100 for Beating Bowel Cancer in August next year. It was a daunting challenge when I started but if I carry on as I am it should be no problem. I've lost 25lbs and know the further 5st that I aim to lose before the ride can be done.

Thank you all for your continued support. :smile:

DaveyM

Über Member
I made sure I got out today and did a shorter ride, I thought I would be really suffering after yesterday.
I actually found it really good and set one of my fastest times for the 10 mile run. :thumbsup:

again some great results.
Some good milage Nick and that sounds like one hell of a hill
Well done Reece on the podium place :becool:
Chris D good to hear that you are back out and about
D.Dave you are right mate "what a buzz"
Finally Typhon I learn this the hard way as well

ETA - Phil you keep improving at this rate and you will do the London 100 easy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom