Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a quick ride round the estate so far, need to adjust everything to fit me.

Very very light, sharp, responsive and well put together. I haven't had a drops bike since 93 so will take some getting used to, the same with the brake levers/gear shifters.
First time I have been in a Decathlon store, never seen so many new bikes in one place.
I am like that if I go to Evans to get some bits, cant afford one though, so dont even look. Speaking of drops, I started using them today, for more than a brief spell, it helped in the wind, just not comfortable on them, and may need to get some Tiagra shifters (looking to upgrade from the 7sp anyway) if i use them more often. I had problems with the shifters the first time I road the new design, always had shifters on the down tubes before.

Yes my Peugeot had down tube shifters in 93. I know these will be great, but will take some getting used to.

Busy this afternoon, but hope to go out Friday midday.
They are, great innovation.
Like wise, so we might be riding at the same time.
I have this new light to try out later, I will try and get a picture close to how it appears, but it is bright, its quite bright on the landing but its still shows up bright.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I was initially disappointed with my ride today with my average dropping to just 12 mph. Then I noticed that Strava showed I had done over 1,000 ft of climbing for the first time. My 20 mile ride started with 5 miles of climbing into the Brecon Beacons before dropping down and finishing off with a 7 mile steady climb back to my house.

All in all I think I did ok hauling my 21st up the hills so 12 mph isn't too bad. :smile:

All in all I think I did ok hauling my 21st up the hills so 12 mph isn't too bad. :smile:
And I think so too.

I was initially disappointed with my ride today with my average dropping to just 12 mph. Then I noticed that Strava showed I had done over 1,000 ft of climbing for the first time. My 20 mile ride started with 5 miles of climbing into the Brecon Beacons before dropping down and finishing off with a 7 mile steady climb back to my house.

I think its brilliant Phil, its not always about avg speed.
When I first started it took me a month to get an avg over 12mph with a gain of over 1000ft, and it was over a longer distance, so on the whole not as steep.

NickJ95GB

to the Triban guy;
very nice, why didn't you replace those heavy lights with those cheap rubber ones though!
and i also found making the handlebars straighter is easier on the wrists and especially on the drops, it looks a little low, like mine was, just rotate a few degrees upwards :biggrin:

to the Triban guy;
very nice, why didn't you replace those heavy lights with those cheap rubber ones though!
and i also found making the handlebars straighter is easier on the wrists and especially on the drops, it looks a little low, like mine was, just rotate a few degrees upwards :biggrin:
The picture was taken as soon as It left the car, thanks for the tip, they do look like the need turning up. I hadn't noticed! Which rubber lights are you recommending ?

Crosstrailer

Being 69 miles behind my goal schedule on mycyclinglog.com, I managed a 30 miler today that included a visit to a wooded country park. Cyclists aren't allowed through much of the woodland and have to follow paths that circumvent the woods for the most part. That isn't a major problem, but after a while the cycle paths ended and I had to ride a couple of miles across pathless meadows that were absolutely sodden, thick with mud and the wheels where sinking up to the spokes in places - not a pleasant experience and soon both me and the bike were covered in mud. I don't mind getting dirty and riding in the rain but it was so fatiguing I can't say I enjoyed the experience !!!! After riding home I then had to stand outside for 45 mins cleaning & drying the bike before I bought it back in the house.

Still, it's 30 miles on the clock !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom