Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another 53miler today, although it's the first bad weather I've rode in, Started off just cold but soon we were riding in the rain for 3 hours. The cafe stop couldn't come soon enough as my fingertips were so numb and toes seemed not existent lol. But to be honest I actually enjoyed the ride, just need to purchase some good waterproof gloves and overshoes and I can't see bad weather bothering me, except for snow, ice heavy torrential rain.

http://app.strava.com/activities/26923444

Oh, and well done Nigel on the months total mileage, that is some going.
6 p.b.'s what were you doing racing to get out of the rain.

Well done Alexis & Phil

Reece

Veteran
6 p.b.'s what were you doing racing to get out of the rain
Lol, not as many people turned out (imagine it was due to the weather) so our pace was a bit quicker. Oh and some faster sections to get warm haha.

NickJ95GB

i've just decided to do rhyl to betws-y-coed on both saturday and sunday from now on - 130 miles every weekend :biggrin: hope to do LAJOG in this summer or next

I get another 16 miler in today and you all are doing 30 to 50 ! :dry: OK I am going to play the age card, I bet I have you there. :tongue: Really great progress on here, nice to see.
Well I am 48.
i've just decided to do rhyl to betws-y-coed on both saturday and sunday from now on - 130 miles every weekend :biggrin: hope to do LAJOG in this summer or next
I dont think I will be doing anything like that soon, I am happy at 40-50 miles a ride.

Your progress seems great for 48. I don't think I could have done the miles you do when I was 48. I am 7 years older, I wish I had gotten into cycling much younger.
I have quite a bit of time really, sometimes when I am out it doesn't feel I am making any gains, but when I look at it I know I am, its just when you start, I think you do look at your speed, then you realise thats not what its about, i would rather do 13mph over the terrain I went yesterday than 16mph over the terrain I was doing two months ago, hills as opposed to totally flat ( well relatively flat), I think we wish many things as we grow older, just do what you can and be happy with it.

RWright

Guru
I have quite a bit of time really, sometimes when I am out it doesn't feel I am making any gains, but when I look at it I know I am, its just when you start, I think you do look at your speed, then you realise thats not what its about, i would rather do 13mph over the terrain I went yesterday than 16mph over the terrain I was doing two months ago, hills as opposed to totally flat ( well relatively flat), I think we wish many things as we grow older, just do what you can and be happy with it.

I feel like I am not making a lot of progress sometimes as well but I have lost and am still losing weight, my core, arms and legs are getting stronger and I feel better. I think increasing the distance and elevations like you are doing is a great way to improve, even if you are not seeing immediate results on speeds and time. I wish I had more time to do the same.

Just back from a nice 16.2 mile circuit,the first 8 with my wife (1hour! Eek) then the last 8 in 35 mins.
The tendons at the back of my knees gave me some stick over the weekend after Fridays 27 mile ride to Stratford so was glad all was ok on today's ride.

I get another 16 miler in today and you all are doing 30 to 50 ! :dry: OK I am going to play the age card, I bet I have you there. :tongue: Really great progress on here, nice to see.
I bet you can't guess how old I am?

number3

Marathon Runner
I did my first 10 mile today in about 40 mins although that's just a guess as I didn't have a watch on. I'll repost something more scientific next time I go out for a ride. Loving cycling by the way. I do have a bit of fitness being a runner but I did find out today that I'd rather run up a hill than cycle up one!!! I'm sure this different muscle set will develop over time and the two (running & cycling) will eventually complement each other.

Reece

Veteran
Finally 'progressed' to SPDs from flats, first outing today, so far so good, but expect the tumbles to happen when I finally become complacent and stop the internal mantra of 'must unclip, must unclip' as I approach the stops.....
There won't be any looking back now. I love mine!

RWright

Guru
Just back from a nice 16.2 mile circuit,the first 8 with my wife (1hour! Eek) then the last 8 in 35 mins.
The tendons at the back of my knees gave me some stick over the weekend after Fridays 27 mile ride to Stratford so was glad all was ok on today's ride.

I bet you can't guess how old I am?

I guess 35.:headshake: This is the first work day since the time change and I got off early to get a ride in lol. I don't think I will be setting any personal records today though. My legs are a little tired from standing a lot today at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom