Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess 35.:headshake: This is the first work day since the time change and I got off early to get a ride in lol. I don't think I will be setting any personal records today though. My legs are a little tired from standing a lot today at work.
I think the 50 mph sign might give us a clue.
We've had ours a week, the clocks going back.

Into my second week of commuting and loving it... I got a good run on the lights today and managed to knock 2:37 off my best time (knocking big chunks off the two strava segments on my route in the process).:wahhey: One of them is all uphill and so far I've got stuck at the lights half way, but not today!

Shame I have to do all this pesky work business before I can do the return journey...

My current route is 5.8 km in and 5.2km home, so I'll need a bit longer before I'm tackling any 30/40/50 milers, but I'll get there I hope!

Into my second week of commuting and loving it... I got a good run on the lights today and managed to knock 2:37 off my best time (knocking big chunks off the two strava sections on my route in the process).:wahhey: One of them is all uphill and so far I've got stuck at the lights half way, but not today!

Shame I have to do all this pesky work business before I can do the return journey...

My current route is 5.8 km in and 5.2km home, so I'll need a bit longer before I'm tackling any 30/40/50 milers, but I'll get there I hope!
You will Harry, just keep it steady and increase the distances, can you increase the run home a little.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I shouldn't be discouraged by the lack of your avg speed not increasing, I am the same, but I have noticed on strava I still get p.b.'s, every ride is different just think of it this way, where as once you used to stop (be through choice or need, I had to stop when I started, these days I stop if I want to), you no longer need to, that in itself is an improvement.

IIRC there is annecdotal evidence on this forum, and back-up musings elsewhere, that suggest that cycling in winter is harder than summer, hence don't expect average speeds to increase in winter. Apparently it is the air density that does it. Most of the effort in cycling on the level is pushing air out of the way, and with more of it around in winter, it gets more difficult. Heavier and bulkier clothes has a smaller effect, but some people suggest that the cold air is less effective in getting oxygen into the blood. Maybe the body has to restrict air flow to get in warm enough by the time it has hit the lungs?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
IIRC there is annecdotal evidence on this forum, and back-up musings elsewhere, that suggest that cycling in winter is harder than summer, hence don't expect average speeds to increase in winter. Apparently it is the air density that does it. Most of the effort in cycling on the level is pushing air out of the way, and with more of it around in winter, it gets more difficult. Heavier and bulkier clothes has a smaller effect, but some people suggest that the cold air is less effective in getting oxygen into the blood. Maybe the body has to restrict air flow to get in warm enough by the time it has hit the lungs?

Think there is definitely something in what you say. Must admit the old legs don't feel as loose and supple in the winter and breathing in lungfuls of frosty air isn't great either. I usually like to go out first thing in the morning so I can do other things later in the day but, on the odd day when I don't manage and decide to go for a quick run later after eating and when it is warmer it is definitely easier on the body.

True enough, but my speeds were going down in sept, due to the fact I have started climbing more hills, but as I say I am not that bothered really, because I can climb now what I wouldn't have dreamed of 2-3 months ago.

Worst avg speed since 19th July (12.2 mph over 25.2 miles) and I still managed 4 p.b's and 5, 2nd fastest times.
http://app.strava.com/activities/27097415 so avg speed isn't everything.

Half way round today's ride and I get a massive intermittent clonking cracking noise, which I think is the rear wheel bearing, but can't be sure, very steady short cut ride home after checking it was basically safe. The front wheel bearing has been adjusted up a bit last week but needs rebuilding and the bottom end is knackered, I've adjusted it up twice in the last fortnight. The poor old thing is falling apart. It's time too throw the towel in and get over to Decathlon.
Luckily my wife was riding with me and and suggested I wait no more as it sounds too dangerous ( I'm in her good books at the moment, see my last post!).

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Half way round today's ride and I get a massive intermittent clonking cracking noise, which I think is the rear wheel bearing, but can't be sure, very steady short cut ride home after checking it was basically safe. The front wheel bearing has been adjusted up a bit last week but needs rebuilding and the bottom end is knackered, I've adjusted it up twice in the last fortnight. The poor old thing is falling apart. It's time to,throw the towel in and get over to Decathlon.
Luckily my wife was riding with me and and suggested I wait no more as it sounds to dangerous ( I'm in her good books at the moment, see my last post!).

Quick, before she changes her mind :laugh:

She didn't.
Woo Hoo here is my Triban3 no miles yet.

1D96432A-B064-4542-91C3-1A03AE1E3F37-227-000000BA2298D97B.jpg

9DD197F3-51E6-48A1-9097-7477D077EDFA-227-000000BA27B3CCF3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom