Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Chris, hope your well enough to ride soon.
I have found the cycling has increase the strength in my knee (right), I had a compression injury to the leg several years ago, it stills bothers me and whilst cycling it the one that hurts, and sometimes i get an acute pain in the knee, though it goes if I easy up a little for a while.

Is your pain on the rear of your knee? Mine is, not sure what that means?I don't think I've done mine cycling, but possibly from kneeling on hard surfaces at work. I will take this week to recover and get the bike serviced ready for winter in the meantime. If no better then If no better then I'll go see the quack. It's interesting that your knee has strengthened through riding because initially I was reluctant to jump back on the saddle for fear of making it worse.

RWright

Guru
Last Sunday after struggling to do 5.5 miles I joked that my first 20 miler wasn't many weeks away, I was wrong, it was only 6 days away!

Went out with aim to do 15 miles this morning but after reaching that target I thought I'd just try for 20.

http://app.strava.com/activities/26776878

That is great progress with a KOM as a bonus. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Is your pain on the rear of your knee? Mine is, not sure what that means?I don't think I've done mine cycling, but possibly from kneeling on hard surfaces at work. I will take this week to recover and get the bike serviced ready for winter in the meantime. If no better then If no better then I'll go see the quack. It's interesting that your knee has strengthened through riding because initially I was reluctant to jump back on the saddle for fear of making it worse.
I will et back to you on this Chris, i have to go out, but its just above the knee at the front. I want to say well done Davey, and I think I have just done my first cat4 climb, correct me if I am wrong anyone.
http://app.strava.com/activities/26813256#480145156
ignore the first one on the ride i dont think its a cat4

Did my first 40 mile (non stop), well I say non stop but there was a couple of times I had to check that I was still actually moving :laugh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/26804792

had a nice bath and a little cry when I got in
Nice one Dave
I got some pain about 3 miles from home, but eased up and it was ok.

Rayvon

Well I did it, 1000km this month, though the garmin I switch off at a point turned it on and forgot to start the timer, for about 1 1/2 miles, wouldn't mind but I think I got a p.b. on the stretch just after.
But I did get two other p.b's.
Park Lane Sprint. 17's quicker 21.9mph to 24.6mph.
and
Methley Rd towards Cas 35's quicker 12.9mph to 16.4mph

but my overall avg for the whole 55.87 miles covered today is an avg of 12.9 mph.
I think it shows how much tough the rides I am doing are for me.
Well done Nigel on the milage for the month;)

Well done Nigel on the milage for the month;)
Thanks, Ray.
Well what a week, I achieved my best weekly mileage 203.27 miles my best avg mileage at 40.65 miles a day (5 days) my best weekly elevation gain at 11001 feet (2200.2 ft per) or 54.12 ft per mile, also my best total monthly mileage on Wed, 626.18 miles (1001.89 km)

Thanks, Ray.
Well what a week, I achieved my best weekly mileage 203.27 miles my best avg mileage at 40.65 miles a day (5 days) my best weekly elevation gain at 11001 feet (2200.2 ft per) or 54.12 ft per mile, also my best total monthly mileage on Wed, 626.18 miles (1001.89 km)

Great achievement Nigel, don't think I will ever get those numbers.
These Vikings can't be that bad to keep up with this punishing schedule.

Great achievement Nigel, don't think I will ever get those numbers.
These Vikings can't be that bad to keep up with this punishing schedule.
Thank Brian, its just a matter of keeping going really, I never though I would either, the hills at the start i hated, but now whilst I still hate them, I also look forward to them, that cat 4 I did yesterday, I had been up before shortly after I started, and it beat me, there hasn't been one since (more due to gearing than my ability).
The bikes ok its just not sought after, or particular light ii its class, but apart from that I really don't know much about bike design so I cant comment further. I have modified it somewhat, the gearing is much lower it has mudguards and a rack and bag all the things most road bikes shouldn't have, but it goes, I am slow so whats it matter.
This is took at the top of Denby Dale Rd just south of Wakefield. at about 520ft, there is nothing high around here I can find without riding much further a field. Sorry about the quality it was difficult getting the bike and the transmitter both exposed. Looking toward Home Moss from Top Land.
home moss & bike 2.jpg

philinmerthyr

Über Member
It's been a great weekend. Spent 4hrs 15 mins on he bike and ridden 54 miles. One ride in Swansea (31 miles) and one in Cardiff (23 miles). A bit of variety from my rides around Merthyr during the week.

Been riding for 6 weeks and covered 450 miles. Weight down from 22st 7lbs to 21st 2lb.

Riding the Roubaix in all weather conditions. I haven't touched the mountain bike since I bought it.

D

Deleted member 22722

Started cycling almost 3 months ago. A month later I felt as though I was maybe fit enough to commute the 10 mile trip to work a few days a week. 3 commutes a week soon became 4 then last week I cycled into work every day.

When i've had the chance I've also been out some weekends and have done a couple of 20 milers and two 30 milers. The first 30 miler I did was exactly 2 months after I started riding (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230827427). Went for another one today & found it significantly easier than the first time. Hills that I used to avoid like the plague are now a challenge that I actively seek out.

Starting to wish my commute was a little longer now though as it's over too quickly. Unfortunately most days I have to pick up my son from school so don't get the opportunity to take the long way home.

Best things about starting cycling - 1)I've lost 4 stone in the last 5 months and the cycling has certainly helped with this. 2)It's given me a whole new interest. 3)I'm about 500% fitter than I was before I started.

Worst things about cycling - 1)There's a chance that I may have become a cycling bore to all my friends. 2)Trying to keep the steed clean, especially now the weathers turned horrible. 3)How much money have i spent!!!

Reece

Veteran
Another 53miler today, although it's the first bad weather I've rode in, Started off just cold but soon we were riding in the rain for 3 hours. The cafe stop couldn't come soon enough as my fingertips were so numb and toes seemed not existent lol. But to be honest I actually enjoyed the ride, just need to purchase some good waterproof gloves and overshoes and I can't see bad weather bothering me, except for snow, ice heavy torrential rain.

http://app.strava.com/activities/26923444

Oh, and well done Nigel on the months total mileage, that is some going.

D

Deleted member 22722

Another 53miler today, although it's the first bad weather I've rode in, Started off just cold but soon we were riding in the rain for 3 hours. The cafe stop couldn't come soon enough as my fingertips were so numb and toes seemed not existent lol. But to be honest I actually enjoyed the ride, just need to purchase some good waterproof gloves and overshoes and I can't see bad weather bothering me, except for snow, ice heavy torrential rain.

I bought myself a pair of Seal Skinz winter gloves, Endura overshoes and an Endura pak a mak last week and they've made such a difference. My hands and feet have stayed dry and toasty warm on both rides this weekend and the rather has been pretty miserable.

The pak a mak scrunches up small enough to fit in my jersey pocket and has kept me 100% dry through 90 minutes of constant rain today.

Reece

Veteran
I bought myself a pair of Seal Skinz winter gloves, Endura overshoes and an Endura pak a mak last week and they've made such a difference. My hands and feet have stayed dry and toasty warm on both rides this weekend and the rather has been pretty miserable.

The pak a mak scrunches up small enough to fit in my jersey pocket and has kept me 100% dry through 90 minutes of constant rain today.
I've just ordered the seal skins extra cold weather gloves on reccommendations of other club members, DHB extreme weather overshoes (also good reviews) and a buff to. Can't wait to try them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom