Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep that works fine, nice one Brian. :smile:

I have just been out but once again I feel awful. :sad: I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment. I just have no energy for anything. Maybe I am just trying to do too much. I already work 60 hours a week and have to drive 300-500 miles a week too. Anyway I managed my normal training loop and another little mini loop to take it to 20 miles but that's it:

http://app.strava.com/rides/26483232

My average speed hasn't increased for a month which is a bit disappointing too. I think that's in part down to the fact that I no longer stop though. I used to take regular short breaks, perhaps 10-15 minutes worth for every hour of cycling but now I only stop at junctions which isn't much on my route.

I think I'll stick to the turbo trainer for a bit. I'm going to do a little bit each day rather than keep trying to fit in long rides on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It should benefit me to vary my training which I will do more on the turbo trainer i.e. more slower riding in a lower heart rate zone. I just tend to go for it when I'm out on the road and perhaps that is what is making me ill. Prior to August I hadn't done any exercise in 6 years because of a serious car accident I was in which permanently damaged my back. So I imagine it's quite a big shock to the system for my body. Just being outside in the cold is a shock to it to be honest!

Besides, the main reason I took up cycling was to lose weight. Fitness is secondary. And I am doing that and the TT will help even more as I think a little exercise often is better for weight loss.
I shouldn't be discouraged by the lack of your avg speed not increasing, I am the same, but I have noticed on strava I still get p.b.'s, every ride is different just think of it this way, where as once you used to stop (be through choice or need, I had to stop when I started, these days I stop if I want to), you no longer need to, that in itself is an improvement. Cycling is not always about being faster or longer its about enjoying the ride. Where as once every mile hurt me, I now find the first 10 miles or so the worst, the last 10 I find are ok ( I usually do about 30-40 miles).
Like this one, beat my p.b. by 16" http://ridewithgps.com/segments/East-Hardwick-to-Carleton-Rd

NIce looking bike Brian. If you switch the saddle you may need some lycra shorts yourself though! (if you don't already wear them). That saddle looks very comfy indeed.
Your right that saddle is comfortable, I bought this cheapo of the bay, it does the job ok but I have put it back on the shelf till I loose more weight.
95445D7C-4C6E-4B78-B9EC-D30179FFA207-670-00000133A85631F3.jpg

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I shouldn't be discouraged by the lack of your avg speed not increasing, I am the same, but I have noticed on strava I still get p.b.'s, every ride is different just think of it this way, where as once you used to stop (be through choice or need, I had to stop when I started, these days I stop if I want to), you no longer need to, that in itself is an improvement. Cycling is not always about being faster or longer its about enjoying the ride. Where as once every mile hurt me, I now find the first 10 miles or so the worst, the last 10 I find are ok ( I usually do about 30-40 miles).
Like this one, beat my p.b. by 16" http://ridewithgps.com/segments/East-Hardwick-to-Carleton-Rd

Yeah that's very true. I shouldn't look at it through such a short time period. I'm sure in a few months I'll be doing 18mph average and wondering why I was worried.

Your right that saddle is comfortable, I bought this cheapo of the bay, it does the job ok but I have put it back on the shelf till I loose more weight.
95445D7C-4C6E-4B78-B9EC-D30179FFA207-670-00000133A85631F3.jpg

That's a very cool and lightweight looking saddle but yep I bet that's a bit of a shock after the one you had! The triban's isn't much more comfortable looking than that mind but you get used to it.

Yeah that's very true. I shouldn't look at it through such a short time period. I'm sure in a few months I'll be doing 18mph average and wondering why I was worried.
I dont think I will ever be doing that, but on that section I mentioned here on strava 11 days ago I recorded my slowest speed at 12.5mph today it was 15.8mph, and three days before that I had at that point recorded my 2nd fastest on that stretch. My speeds have fallen last month I did 509.93 miles in a toal of 36hrs 21' avg 14.03 I gained 17518ft over that time as close as I can work out, this month I have done 570.31 in 42hrs 25.2' avg 13.45 (my avg on Sun was 12.5mph) but this month I have gained 27739ft, a difference of 10221ft in one days less riding, or a difference of 619ft per day extra climbing, it's still not much to seasoned riders but it's a big improvement for me, my daily avg ride has gone from 26.84 miles in Sept to 31.68 this month. I should make 600 miles for Oct tomorrow I dont think I can quite do 1000km I would need to do 55 miles I dont think I will have the time tomorrow to do my biggest ride of the year.

PB 18.1 miles in one go:hyper: (92 mins) for me this windy morning, decided to go off piste and I found it more enjoyable than the standard circuits, my target was a twenty miler, but believe or not my left pedal collapsed and fell off :rofl: so I had to take a short cut and limp home the last couple of miles. Also managed to reach the giddy heights of 31 mph on a very slight incline and still managed to keep pedalling, I always spin out about 25/6 so not sure how I managed it.

Need to go find another set of pedals now.

Also need a new phone so I can use Strava.

Edit;
Just had a close look at the pedal and the spindle has actually sheared about half way along!

That's a very cool and lightweight looking saddle but yep I bet that's a bit of a shock after the one you had! The triban's isn't much more comfortable looking than that mind but you get used to it.
The saddle was alright really, I only did an 8 mile run with it my backside was ok and I felt more connected to the bike if you know what I mean. The problem is my old style seat post connector bolt stuck out both sides so I could feel it on my thighs ! I think I need one of these;
593FD888-33DD-4D2F-81B1-CFAEC9425DFC-258-00000020A07C96D7.jpg

I also found it harder to shift back in the seat for the hills.

And it was only £5.95 posted from EBay .

Well, I'm definitely a 'newbie' as I just did my first two commutes on Monday and Tuesday. I knocked four minutes off my time for the return journey on Tuesday (3.5 miles in 19 minutes, on a gradual incline with plenty of traffic lights!)

I was slightly slower on the way in compared to Monday, but that could be to do with being keener to get home than to the office, I'm not sure... Also, I had the motivation of keeping up with some other cyclists on the way home, so perhaps my competitive streak kicked in too! :bicycle: As it's my first week I took the train today and I'm going to cycle on Thursday and Friday, then do 5 days a week as often as practical after that.

I missed it this morning, so I'm going to go out for a ride tonight (got a parcel to pick up from the sorting office anyway, so might as well kill two birds with one stone!)

PB 18.1 miles in one go:hyper: (92 mins) for me this windy morning, decided to go off piste and I found it more enjoyable than the standard circuits, my target was a twenty miler, but believe or not my left pedal collapsed and fell off :rofl: so I had to take a short cut and limp home the last couple of miles. Also managed to reach the giddy heights of 31 mph on a very slight incline and still managed to keep pedalling, I always spin out about 25/6 so not sure how I managed it.

Need to go find another set of pedals now.

Also need a new phone so I can use Strava.

Edit;
Just had a close look at the pedal and the spindle has actually sheared about half way along!
Well done.

Well done.

Thanks, it was frustrating not to make the 20 mile barrier but there is always tomorrow now we have some new pedals ready to fit.

Go for it Nigel, if you were nearer I would come with you.
Well I did it, 1000km this month, though the garmin I switch off at a point turned it on and forgot to start the timer, for about 1 1/2 miles, wouldn't mind but I think I got a p.b. on the stretch just after.
But I did get two other p.b's.
Park Lane Sprint. 17's quicker 21.9mph to 24.6mph.
and
Methley Rd towards Cas 35's quicker 12.9mph to 16.4mph

but my overall avg for the whole 55.87 miles covered today is an avg of 12.9 mph.
I think it shows how much tough the rides I am doing are for me.

RWright

Guru
Yep that works fine, nice one Brian. :smile:

I have just been out but once again I feel awful. :sad: I don't know what's wrong with me at the moment. I just have no energy for anything. Maybe I am just trying to do too much. I already work 60 hours a week and have to drive 300-500 miles a week too. Anyway I managed my normal training loop and another little mini loop to take it to 20 miles but that's it:

http://app.strava.com/rides/26483232

My average speed hasn't increased for a month which is a bit disappointing too. I think that's in part down to the fact that I no longer stop though. I used to take regular short breaks, perhaps 10-15 minutes worth for every hour of cycling but now I only stop at junctions which isn't much on my route.

I think I'll stick to the turbo trainer for a bit. I'm going to do a little bit each day rather than keep trying to fit in long rides on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It should benefit me to vary my training which I will do more on the turbo trainer i.e. more slower riding in a lower heart rate zone. I just tend to go for it when I'm out on the road and perhaps that is what is making me ill. Prior to August I hadn't done any exercise in 6 years because of a serious car accident I was in which permanently damaged my back. So I imagine it's quite a big shock to the system for my body. Just being outside in the cold is a shock to it to be honest!

Besides, the main reason I took up cycling was to lose weight. Fitness is secondary. And I am doing that and the TT will help even more as I think a little exercise often is better for weight loss.

That is a busy schedule you have.

I took a couple of days off because of the weather and felt lazy today but made myself go out. I felt great after I got going, I did 13.29 miles in an hour. I could have gone further and faster but was just sort of taking it easy and came in early because it is Halloween. I think a couple of days off the bike in a row sometimes helps me feel better.

It was still daylight when I came in but I had to not push down the home stretch because there were already a lot of little trick or treaters coming down the road. The candy supply is already getting low!:ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom